Xiumin - What Real Love Feels Like

Be Careful What You Wish For

A/N: Might contain curse words. I find this chapter to be very romantic, fluffy and angsty at the same time. I have an exam in 7 hours, but I chose to finish this instead of studying/sleeping. I am really #yolo-ing. T_T My parents will kill me when I'll get the results. XD Totally worth it! 

 

Profile:

Name: Kim Minseok.

Stage Name: Xiumin (Hot Trend Hyung).

Date of Birth: March 26, 1990.

Strong Points: He is nice/kind; he can be cute and y at the same time; he is a fan of TVXQ; he is strong.

Weak Points: He looks way too young; he seems really mysterious; he is too quiet.

 

           “Soo… You know how this new café opened and girls in my class are saying that the guy working there is really cute! We should go too!” Nana said, jumping excitedly around the younger who just buried her face in her hands. She still nodded and let herself be pulled away, the older girl walking quite fast. When she arrived at her destination, she stopped so suddenly that Katherine almost bumped into her. She raised her head and looked at the coffee shop in front of them. It was simple, actually quite plain, and she definitely couldn’t understand how there was still excitement in her friend’s eyes, even though this seemed quite a let down.

           Katherine just shrugged and followed Nana inside, taking a seat opposite of her at one of the glass tables. She scanned her surroundings, raising an eyebrow at the unattractive decorations. The only thing that got her attention was a quote, beautifully painted on one of the walls, that read “Follow your dreams.”. She snickered, garnering a confused look from her friend.

           As steps were approaching their table, she heard squeals (apparently there were others in there too) that caused her to turn her head in the direction of the sound. She gasped loudly and could notice from the corner of her eye Nana shifting uncomfortably in her seat, but chose to ignore that and stare at the perfection before her instead. The boy stopped when he reached them, smiling brightly, especially at Katherine. On the nametag it was simply written “Minseok”, as the girl’s gaze lingered on it for a moment, before going back to his face.

           “What can I get you?” he asked, velvety voice matching his prince-like appearance. “Two latte macchiato, please.” Nana replied poisonously, slightly glaring at him, before waving him of. Katherine looked at her friend in confusion, waiting for some sort of explanation. “. He dares to smile at you like that? He has no shame.” the older’s bitter words left , cheeks puffing out cutely in clear annoyance. “What do you mean?” Katherine questioned. “Ah. So you’re acting like he’s not the one who crushed your heart. Do you still like him or what?” Nana continued, frowning and scrunching up her nose in disgust.

           The young found herself at a loss of words, not sure of how she was supposed to react to this. So she blinked. Twice. Then again. That attracted even more interest from the one sitting in front of her “You really don’t recognize him or what?”. “I’m not…really sure of what you’re talking about.” Katherine said, trying to sound as normal as possible. “Did you hit your head or something?” Nana asked, pouting for a bit. “Uh. I really don’t know who he is.” she continued, her friend looking weirdly at her. “I guess your wish really worked. There’s no need to remind you of him then…” the girl confessed, playing with the napkin case before her.

           “No! I actually want you to tell me what this is about.” Katherine pushed and she could almost see Nana glaring at her “Please…”. The older sighed, seemingly not resisting the aegyo, and began slowly “I’m gonna tell you what this is about, but if you start crying or hate me for it, I will kick your so badly you’ll reach Mars.”.

           “His name is Kim Minseok. You’ve met him in middle school and since then you’ve been tortured by your so-called one-sided love at first sight. It’s been six years since then and I truly believe you’ve run out of tears to cry. He’s been an and turned you down four months into your crush, without even trying to get to know you. I am really sorry, but I don’t know what’s gotten into you. Either you’re a masochist, either you’re facing a phase of amnesia or your wish of forgetting everything about him really worked.” Nana continued, eyeing her suspiciously, but still giving in to her request.

           Katherine frowned slightly, lowering her head to the trembling hands in her lap. She didn’t expect a scenario so close to the reality. Yes, she had been in love with a guy. Yes, he refused her as soon as he had found out about her feelings. Yes, she spent many nights weeping in a corner, annoyed by the fact that she couldn’t forget him. In the present, she was totally over all of that. The last time he crossed her mind was over a year ago and that happened because someone had mentioned him in a conversation. What was all this?

           “See? That’s why I didn’t want to tell you.” her friend spoke softly, reaching over the table to grab her hand. “It’s fine.” Katherine assured her, just as the boy in question approached them again, carrying a tray with two cups on it. “Two latte macchiato for the sweetest ladies in here.” he said, setting their orders in front of each other. The older of the girls rolled her eyes, lips pursed in a thin line. Minseok looked at Katherine, before leaving, and slipped a small note under her cup, making sure Nana didn’t notice his action.

           The girl bit her lip and slowly pulled the piece of paper into her hand, unfolding it under the table. She gasped silently as she read the words written there “Please, meet me at 7, when my shift ends, in the park near the café.”. Katherine smiled, feeling his burning gaze on her. She felt curious, excited and sad at the same time. This situation felt way too similar to the one in real life. Nana was right for once: she wasn’t sure she wanted to have anything to do with the boy. But still…

      

 

           They finished their drinks rather fast, Katherine trying to make a believable excuse so that she could hang around the coffee shop for some more time, even though it was starting to get dark outside. Nana didn’t pry any further, respecting her friend’s decision, and hurried home. Apparently, a hot date with Lee Minho was waiting for her, the younger quickly understanding she must have been talking about his new drama.

           Her steps carried her into the empty park, easily finding a bench to sit on, near the still lake. She started playing with the hem of her skirt, feeling a bit unpatient and bored as she waited for the other to come.

           What was going to happen this time? Was it going to have a happy ending like the dream with Baekhyun or an interrupted one like with Kyungsoo? She still had no idea what put a stop to her alternative world the other night. It must have been something she had said or otherwise she had no explanation for it. Unless it was supposed to end when she’d found happiness or something…

           Katherine felt a hand grasp her shoulder gently, which caused her to turn around her head, coming face to face with Minseok. Literally. His lips were just a breath away from hers and the other clearly didn’t expect that, as blush colored his cheeks in red. He quickly backed off, circling the bench to sit next to her. “Sorry for making you wait for so long.” the boy said and smiled at her charmingly.

           The girl just kept staring at him, eyebrows furrowed, only blinking from time to time. “Uh… Well, this is awkward. Say something.” Minseok admitted, scratching the back of his head and looking in another direction, most likely feeling uncomfortable under her scrutinizing gaze. “You’re the one who asked me to come here.” she finally sighed, biting back the laughter as she seemed to enjoy the fact that she made the other nervous.

           “Right… I just wanted to…” he began, now playing with his fingers and avoiding her eyes once more. “I apologize for hurting your feelings. I was young and really didn’t have a  way with words. Also, I sincerely believed that you deserved better. Pretty, smart, talented – how could I handle that?” Minseok continued, chuckling a bit at the last part. “Easily. You could’ve asked for my opinion.” the girl replied bitterly, trying to ignore the nod in .

           He sighed, pulling one of her hands between his own and hoding it tightly against his chest. She felt his heart beat fastly as blush crept on her cheeks at the sudden interaction. Katherine just stared at their entwined fingers, wanting to cry even more when he brought them to his lips, placing a kiss on every single one, eyes closed and breath tickling her skin.

           “You’re still just as beautiful as I remembered.” he whispered and she swore she heard her soul leave her body. “Why now? Is this a joke? What makes you think I still have any feelings left for you?” the questions rolled off her tongue with ease, garnering a new kind of attention from the boy. He looked straight into her eyes for a few seconds, allowing her to register the amount of different things floating in them. There was a bit of desperation, another bit of sadness, a few drops of loneliness, a fair amount of guilt and a lot of love. It took her off guard. She clearly didn’t expect that.

           “Katherine, I am not a kid anymore. I know it’s been a long time, but I can tell you still haven’t forgotten me. Let me give you now what you need, what you want, what you wish for. Let me be the one. I am truly sorry. Take away my sins.” Minseok answered, sincerity filling every single thing he said and reaching right into the girl’s heart. “Are you really serious about this? I don’t think I’ll be able to survive a second heartbreak.” she told him, finally enjoying the way her fingers were surrounded by his warmness.

           “I am. They were right when they made that quote on how you don’t realize how much you care about someone until they’re gone.” the boy confessed, closing the distance between them and waiting for confirmation, before capturing her lips as his.

           It was perfect. Too perfect to be real. She wasn’t sure she wanted this whole thing anymore. It was all just a well made-up lie, something really close to a movie scenario. She hoped this would become her reality in the end, because Minseok did what the other guy couldn’t: he finally showed her what it meant to love and be loved right back.

           “Thank you. I really appreciate what you’re trying to do, Minseok-ssi. Maybe someday we’ll meet in real life too and I’ll really get a taste of what your romance is like. Until then… all I can do is dare to dream.” she spoke softly, allowing the tears to finally slide down her face, and watching as his expression changed from confusion to understanding at the end. Katherine closed her eyes and let herself fall back into Minseok’s arms, who was more than ready to catch her. She got a floating sensation as everything got blurry again, the only thing replaying in her mind being his words, before snapping back to reality “We shall see each other soon, Katherine Hwang.”.  

 

Profile (rewrite):

Name: Kim Minseok.

Stage Name: Xiumin (Hot Trend Hyung - now I get why).

Date of Birth: March 26, 1990.

Strong Points: He is nice/kind; he can be cute and y at the same time; he is a fan of TVXQ; he is strong; he is romantic; he is honest; he is persuasive; he is caring; he is really mature.

Weak Points: He looks way too young; he seems really mysterious; he is too quiet. Honestly, there’s nothing bad about him.