Prologue

Be Careful What You Wish For

A/N: It contains swearing/cursing. 

 

           Katherine sat in the kitchen, watching her mom prepare the strawberry cake for her birthday. They were going to celebrate it just the two of them, eating sweets and watching romantic movies. She smiled and played with the vanilla cream in the bowl that was on the table, in front of her. Her mother was looking at her lovingly while she was washing the fruits, ready to get started on the cake levels.

           Just then, the phone rang, waking both of them up from their daze. Her mother rushed over to the device, after wiping her hands on a soft towel. She picked it up and answered with a sweet “Hello?”, her face soon darkening when the reply came from the other side of the line. Katherine stared at her weirdly, eyebrows furrowed in confusion and her mother ushered her to leave the room.

           The girl did as she was told, running back to her room. When she reached it, she panted for a few seconds, then picked up the telephone in her room, trying to be as silent as possible while listening to the conversation.

           “Why didn’t you told me it was her birthday?” she heard her father say and her excitement for the unknown caller slowly died down. “She’s your daughter too! Act like it or is that of yours keeping you occupied?!” her mother spat out and Katherine had already imagined the expression she must have had on her face. “Well, at least she’s satisfying me in ways you never could!” the man replied and muttered some profanities after that.

           Katherine put the phone down, tears sliding down her face. She locked the door and threw herself on the bed, burying her face in a fluffy pillow. “I can’t even have a quiet birthday…” she whispered to no one in particular, before closing her eyes and calming her uneven breathing.

           “I just wish… I wish I’d meet someone who can make me forget of this Hell.”.