III. Denial

Idiots

UN-BETAED


 

In their junior year of high school, they went on a trip. It was with the whole class.

It was up in the mountains, in the middle of nowhere if you ask Jonghyun, and it was where you can watch how beautiful the sunset is, if you ask Jinki.

The class got off the bus at exactly 11am and went to the hotel to rest and settle in. It was a two day trip, so they would have to spend the night. The boys stayed in one room, separated from the girl’s. One of the rules some male students didn’t approve of in the trip. Except jinki of course, he was fine with spending the night with jonghyun, never mind the other boys, as long as there were no girls to steal jonghyun away from him. With that being said, he made sure to choose the bed beside jonghyun’s.

After a short rest, the class was called by the instructor in charge, saying they were going to start touring the place in a while.

Jinki’s grin was about to split his face in half when the tour guide told them to find a partner. He clings to Jonghyun like a leech, almost snarling at anyone who as much as get three feet near Jonghyun. The said boy rolled his eyes, but lets him.

However, when the tour guide told them to find a partner opposite their , ‘to avoid mischiefs’ he said, because he knew how boys at their ages were. Jonghyun pulled his arm away from Jinki in a blink of an eye, like it was the only thing he’d been looking forward to in the entire trip making the other whine in protest. Jinki pouted, clearly offended, Jonghyun ignored him, his face shoved away when he came closer, clinging even more. He stumbled backwards before finally giving up, sending a pout at Jonghyun’s retreating back.

Jinki ended up being partnered with Luna, a girl with short bobbed hair. Jonghyun was paired with Krystal, Luna’s best friend. He could only send a pout in Jonghyun’s way as they toured the place. The other did not even spare one glance at him. To make things worse, it looked like he was having fun with Krystal.

Luna was fun too, Jinki figured. She liked exploring stuff, asking things that Jinki couldn’t answer and could only chuckle at shyly for not knowing the answer to. It seemed that she’s a person who loves green; the plants, the mountains and the trees.

 

~




The sun was about to set when half the class gathered together to head back to the hotel. Luna however, was seated on a bench, in front a low cliff, watching the view. Jinki went to her, being her partner and all they must stick together right? He sat beside Luna. The others were behind them, waiting for the other students who still hadn't return. Jonghyun, who was busy talking to Krystal was there too.

They watched for a little while until Jinki told her they needed to go, seeing that the students behind them were nearing completion, they both stood up, preparing to leave when Luna suddenly noticed a caterpillar on her shoulder. She loves green, yes, but not this type of green, with its creepy, ugly wrinkled skin that was nearing her face. She panicked and so did Jinki, not because of the insect, but because Luna was stumbling to the edge.

She froze momentarily when she slipped off the edge. She heard Jinki shouting her name before her body tilted to its back. She knew she was falling, but it wasn’t the sky, she saw above her, but was Jinki reaching for her.

At that moment, the group behind them heard Jinki shout. Surprised, they turned their heads in the direction of Jinki’s voice. Jonghyun caught a glimpse of Jinki and Luna falling and he was the first one to react, jumping and running to the edge before shouting Jinki’s name. Below he saw nothing but leaves from trees. Beside him, not far away, he saw steps, leading down further to where they might have fallen, maybe. He hoped he was right as he ran down said steps.

He knew he found them when he heard Luna calling for help and yelling Jinki’s name, trying to wake him up, “Jinki oppa! Help us!” she repeated again and again, Jonghyun found them behind more trees. Luna was crouched down to an unconscious Jinki and she was covered in bruises. Even from afar Jonghyun saw how her right elbow was bleeding and her white blouse was now brown. Jonghyun instantly ran to her side unconsciously ignoring her and examining Jinki. The other students following behind along with the tour guide speaking to someone on the phone in a panic. He saw that Jinki’s temple was bleeding; there were cuts, bruises on his arms and face.

“I’m so sorry” the girl beside him cried, scared, but Jonghyun ignored her. Krystal came running to her side, asking if she was alright and Luna only cried in her embrace.

 

~




Jinki woke up in a room, he wasn’t familiar with. He saw Luna standing beside his bed and Jonghyun was at the corner of the room, sitting and watching Luna stutters her apologies and gratitude.

It was clear that Jonghyun was worried, but when Jinki opened it up as he sat on his bed, still recovering, Jonghyun beats him up with a pillow out of embarrassment, only to have Jinki crying in pain and only to have Jonghyun panicking and running to Jinki’s aid.

Jinki enjoyed the attention so he pretended to be in pain even when he was better a few days later. It was when he visited Jinki in his home that Jonghyun found out and he started beating him up with Jinki’s pillow, only this time he didn’t stop until he was satisfied.

 

~




Weeks after Jinki’s accident, Luna approached Jonghyun. He had just got out of the boys’ bathroom when Luna blocked his way and handed him what seemed to be a pink envelope.

“What’s that?” He asked, not making any move to get the envelope.

Luna lowered the envelope and looked at the ground shyly. “Can- can you give it to Jinki oppa for me?” she mumbled “I can’t – I can’t give him it to him in person”

“Please” she begged when Jonghyun made no attempt to answer.

Jonghyun looked at her, and then he shrugged, “Fine” he said before motioning Luna to give him the envelope. Luna was happy to oblige, she gave him her love letter and thanked him before running off somewhere.

Jonghyun scanned the envelope. It meant nothing to him, considering Jinki liked him and no one else. So he knew the envelope won’t be taken seriously, especially not by Jinki.

It turned out Jonghyun was wrong and it irked him so much to watch Jinki’s grin reach his ears. ‘What’s he so happy about?’ he thought? ‘Was it the love letter?’

They were in the back field; Jonghyun was eating his sandwich as he watched Jinki grin over what he’d received.

“Wow! I can’t believe I got one!” Jinki exclaimed, excited to open his first love letter.

Not being able to take Jinki’s giggles as he read his letter anymore, Jonghyun stood up and gathered his stuff. Jinki panicked when he saw Jonghyun standing up and was about to follow, when a sandwich bag hits him in the face. He looked up at Jonghyun and frowned.

“Wipe that stupid grin off your face” Jonghyun said before slinging his bag over his shoulder. “Don’t follow me, I don’t want to see your stupid face” he said, failing to hide the irritation in his voice and then he left.

Jinki huffed in his seat, not attempting to stand anymore. “What the hell is wrong with him?” he muttered under his breath “Is he jealous that I got a letter and he didn’t? Greedy jerk” he shrugged to no one before continuing to read his letter.

 

~




It pissed him off to watch Luna appear everywhere Jinki was. “She’s coming off as a stalker” he muttered under his breath one day when they were in the cafeteria and Luna was at another table stealing glances to where Jinki was seated in front of Jonghyun.

“What was that?” asked Jinki, when he heard Jonghyun mumble something.

“Nothing” the other answered as he stabbed a pea with his fork.

He wanted to ask Jinki what he felt about the letter, but he was scared he might sound weird. He still felt a little mad at Jinki. He didn’t know why, but it angered him when Jinki was smiling over his love letter. The other did tell him he liked Jonghyun, so why was he so happy to receive a love letter from a girl he barely knew. Jonghyun was his best friend since he was 8, what was so special about Luna? He only knew her during the tou--

Jonghyun snapped out of his thoughts. Realizing how much he's sounding like a possessive boyfriend, he shook the thought away, but it was still there.

He caught Luna steal another glance and realized that if he didn’t do anything about it, he was going to go crazy.

“Luna keeps on staring at you, ” he told Jinki, the other instantly looked for the said girl for a proof. When he found her staring at him, Luna blushed since she was caught and turned away. Jinki turned at Jonghyun, smiling like an idiot. “She really is looking at me, ” he said, sounding so amazed before giggling like a high school girl.

“She’s been stalking you” Jonghyun hissed, hoping jinki would be pissed that he’s being stalked. However, Jinki gave him a look of amazement. “Really? Wow!” he smiled. It sounded like he was happy to be stalked.

Jonghyun, completely pissed, only rolled his eyes and ignored Jinki throughout the day.

 

~




The next day after the classes ended, Jonghyun searched for Jinki. They were supposed to walk home together.

He found Jinki behind a building. He was by the gate when he caught the glimpse of the other’s shaggy hair. However when he went closer he realized Jinki was not alone, he was talking to a girl. Jonghyun went further to see who it was he was talking to but what he saw sent him a foreign feeling on his stomach.

Jinki was talking to Luna.

Jonghyun felt a sudden want to punch someone in the face. He didn’t know why he felt like this, he’d seen Jinki talk to many girls before and he didn’t care then, so why now? Why was he feeling all sorts of foreign things when he saw Jinki talk to Luna? Was it because Jinki was so happy to know Luna likes him? Does that mean he didn’t like Jonghyun anymore? Jonghyun didn’t mind of any of this before, so why now? Was it because he knew Jinki was about to slip away? He didn’t want to admit it, but damn it, he felt jealous and scared to lose Jinki. Was he really going to lose him? Why was he thinking all sorts of this stuff?

Then it happened all of a sudden, like a big rock falling on him. It hurts.

Jinki was now hugging Luna, and Jonghyun didn’t want to see anymore, he didn’t want to think of any more questions he clearly knew the answer to but wouldn’t admit it, so he left. He went home without Jinki.

 

~




“Jjong, where were you yesterday? I looked everywhere for you?” Jinki asked him the next day.

He ignored Jinki and continued to walk to his class. Jinki, who is used to being ignored by Jonghyun, didn’t think something was up. Instead, he pressed the question more to jonghyun.

“I went home, isn’t it obvious?” Jonghyun hissed, when he was finally annoyed by the questions.

“But I thought we were going to go together?” the other asked.

“You seemed busy, I didn’t want to disturb you,” Jonghyun said sarcastically

“Busy?” asked Jinki “how could I have been busy? I was searching for you” he defended

“I didn’t want to disturb your little date Jinki” he hissed as he walked faster in an attempt to escape Jinki

“Wait..” the other tried to catch up with him “wait Jonghyun” he grabbed him by the arm, stopping him. “What date?”

“Don’t think I didn’t see you!” Jonghyun snapped, finally giving in. Letting all the bitter feeling he had boiled inside flow out. “I saw you with Luna. I thought you said you liked me Jinki?” he half shouted. Jinki was glad no one was around at the time. “I do,” he answered

“Really now?” Jonghyun pulled away from Jinki’s grip. “That’s not what it looked like yesterday when you were hugging Luna” he finished, glaring up at a wide eyed Jinki.

Jinki was stunned “wait Jonghyun are you… are you jealous?” he asked, completely surprised by the other’s sudden action.

“Why would you date someone else when you told me you like me?” It was as if the other didn’t hear him “are you an idiot!?” he snapped.

“Jjong could it really be that you’re jealous?” Jinki pressed.

“YES!” Jonghyun snapped, unable to control himself anymore, “Yes I’m jealous! Of course I’m jealous! You told me you like me, annoy me every day with it and then the next thing you’re hugging some chick?! What the hell Jinki?” he exploded and Jinki could only stare at him wide eyed.

Jinki couldn’t help the grin that slowly formed on his lips, but when he saw Jonghyun glare at him, he tried his best to hide it “okay… wow... whew” he couldn’t believe what he was hearing, “okay, umm, it’s not what it looked like Jjong, you..” he said, not able to look at Jonghyun in the face, still he couldn’t move on from the confession. He chuckled, unable to help it. This was Jonghyun who had just confessed, the Jonghyun who had always been mean and always beat him up whenever he tried to be affectionate. “You see, I rejected her. I told her I like someone else. I, uh… I hugged her because she was crying Jjong. Honest” he finished, tracing a cross on his chest to tell him that he was telling the truth.

He could see Jonghyun’s eyes widening then he was hanging his head low, trying to breathe, in the years he knew Jonghyun he knew what the action meant. Jonghyun was pissed; he was raging, furious even. He was trying to calm himself down, and before Jinki knows it, Jonghyun had head- the living daylights out of him. There was a sting on his nose and he felt liquid drip off of it before he was falling to the ground.

 

~




They ended up in the infirmary after, with Jonghyun whose forehead was bleeding and Jinki with a bloody nose. The school nurse was shocked to see both their state and told them she was going to tell on the two for fighting, but Jinki told her they were only playing around and it got out of hand. The school nurse hesitated for a while, but believed him anyway.

They were seated on the bed and the nurse went out to do something, they didn’t know what, they weren’t really listening to her. Jinki was busy trying to take in what just happened. It was like he felt no pain in his nose, all he felt was the urge to shout and jump in triumph for Jonghyun, Kim Jonghyun, his best friend who wasn’t anything like a best friend towards him over the years, was jealous of some chick he hugged yesterday.

Jonghyun however, was busy wishing he was one with the floor. He couldn’t believe he lost control of himself. Fine, he admits he like Jinki, it was only then that he realized he liked Jinki too, but he was so embarrassed by his epic failure. He was so embarrassed when Jinki had told him his assumptions were wrong, it sent his blood boiling and next thing he knew he was head-butting the nearest thing he could come in contact with like he usually is when he’s enraged, and Jinki was always the unfortunate fool who doesn’t get out of Jonghyun’s way even when he knew what was to come. He thought maybe he did it because he didn’t want Jonghyun head-butting some post or anything hard surfaced, but sometimes he thought maybe he really was just slow and stupid.

“So… jealous huh?” Jinki said after a long minute of silence, unable to hide the excitement in his voice. Jonghyun couldn’t believe he told jinki he was jealous. He felt like he could die of humiliation. “Shut up,” he muttered, as he hung his head low, hiding his blushing face.

“I just… I can’t believe it” Jinki continued even after hearing Jonghyun’s threatening voice.

“I said shut up” Jonghyun muttered more dangerously.

“Does that mean you like me too?” Jinki asked, ignoring Jonghyun.

Jinki heard him curse before Jonghyun charged to him and gripped at his collar, his face nearing his.

“You wanna die?” Jonghyun hissed in his face.

Jinki wasn’t able to answer because it only took a minute or two before Jonghyun’s face reddened even more after realizing how close their faces were. Jinki’s eyed widened before Jonghyun lets go of his clothes and turned away proceeding to duck his head even lower. He couldn’t believe he blushed. Was he always this weak? What was happening to him?

Jinki, whose eyes were wide in shock, grinned “oh my god! You do!” he cheered.

Jonghyun was about to send a punch in his face when the door slides open and the two were back into their position, afraid of being sent to the office for fighting. However Jinki was grinning like an idiot in his place, finding Jonghyun’s reactions very cute.

 

~




Despite everything they walked home together after being released from the clinic. On their way home Jinki suddenly asked “Does this mean I can be your boyfriend?”

“ off” was Jonghyun’s only reply, he didn’t trust himself to speak, afraid that he’d say something he didn’t want to say again.

Jinki frowned; he still couldn’t believe his friend was playing hard to get even when he’s been caught. “Fine, I guess I’ll just go see Luna then, tell her I can be her -“ Jonghyun suddenly grabbed at his collar, cutting Jinki off “Don’t you dare” he hissed. Jinki blinked.

“Wh-what?” he asked.

Jonghyun sighed, he decided ‘ it’ he was going to keep Jinki to himself even if he was a moron. “Yes,” he said “I like you, okay? I guess I only realized it now, but I like you, I worry a lot about you and I don’t like it when you’re with her or when you’re so happy that someone is stalking you or when you smile even though you know you’re being stalked” he paused before looking downward “I still can’t believe it, but I like you even though you’re an idiot” he muttered

When there was a long minute of silence, he looked up to see what Jinki’s reaction was “Jinki?” he asked when he saw him only looking straight at him.

“Oh my God! Say that again, please” Jinki gasped, his eyes nearing tears.

Jonghyun groaned and rolled his eyes. He pushed Jinki away and started walking away, Jinki following behind, begging him to tell him the words he wanted to hear.

He still couldn’t believe he liked the moron back.

 

A/N:

HI EVERYONE!!!! :))