Destruction

My Angel, My Hero
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

* * *

 

It started as a normal sunny day, like any other Thursday. Students filled Tiffany's English classroom in a small school outside of Tokyo. Tiffany smiled to her 12 year old students who were all ready to dig into English grammar.

 

Tiffany was feeling little sad. It would be her last day in Japan, before returning home to Seoul. She had taken few courses of Japanese and applied for an English teacher's job for the summer. Tiffany never understood why would students want to study in summer when they could be free. But as long as she got her paycheck, she wasn't complaining.

 

Tiffany's day as a teacher came to an end eight ours later. She was packing her things in a box in the third floor of the school. She was the only one in the building at the time. Suddenly Tiffany felt the floor pounding. It was an old building so she decided to ignore it. The pounding continued instead of stopping. Tiffany looked around her classroom with suspicious eyes. Was some students playing a prank on her? She thought everyone had already left. The pounding got growing stronger. Now Tiffany was really hoping it would stop. She started to walk to the exit of her classroom when it happened.

 

She felt a sudden jolt, quickly followed by strong shaking of the building. She lost her balance and fell on the floor. She looked around herself noticing cracks on windows' glass. Some books from shelves started dropping on the floor and the windows started to shake. The teacher quickly crawled away from the shelf. Tiffany struggled to stand up. She found it being difficult. The ground was shaking and she herself was shaking in fear. Some lamps inside the classroom fell from the ceiling and broke shattering on the floor. Few windows were already broken. She decided to crawl back to her desk.

 

Panic was evident in Tiffany's breathing. She looked around the classroom trying to figure out was it safer to stay inside or rush outside. The school building was old and she thought it might collapse on her. Tiffany knew what was going on. It was an earthquake. A strong earthquake very near, there was no doubt about it. She had read about them before and back in USA and South Korea she was taught what to do in a case like that, get under a table or get out. It was easier said than done. Tiffany fought to stand up and quickly searched her phone. She had hard time balancing herself inside the shaking building. She leaned against the chalk board and dug inside her bag. Occasionally she had to balance herself by taking a hold of the teacher's chair.

 

A loud wood breaking noise startled the teacher. Her eyes snapped up from her bag. A book shelf had fallen onto the ground. The classroom looked like a mess. Tiffany noticed paper piles moving on the teacher's desk, her books fell onto the ground and pencils rolled along the table before falling.

 

Tiffany heard the walls shrieking. She wonders if the building was going to collapse on her. Her heart pounded against her chest. The English teacher finally found her phone and tried to dial to the emergency services. Just then she saw a ziczac pattern going across the floor and one along a wall. Screw the call. She's had to get out of there.

 

She opened her arms, tried not to lose her balance as she started to make her way to the exit of her classroom. Tiffany wanted to run. She wanted to get out of there and find a safer place. She tried to run, but fell once again when the building shook stronger. She took support from a wall and tried to continue walking. She looked support from her students' desks and chairs. Suddenly a lamp fell right in front of her. She jumped in surprise. Quickly covering her head she continued heading to the exit.

 

Loud noise got her attention as she looked up. The ceiling was not looking

Please log in to read the full chapter