Chapter 13

{INCOMPLETE} Long Live the King
Please log in to read the full chapter

Eunhyuk sat on his pegasus (Amare, she called herself) and surveyed the chaotic scene in front of him. Donghae was sitting on his pegasus Oceanus with his eyes closed, obviously having a telepathic conversation with him. Heechul talked with Leeteuk, heads bent low and they spoke in hushed whispers. Kyuhyun and Henry, on the backs of Melos and Lyra, soared through the air towards the sunset, saddlebags already strapped to their sides. Amare snorted. Melos tells me that he’s not very pleased that your king is hooting in his ear.

 

He is the youngest, next to Henry. He loves to joke around, our king. Eunhyuk said.

 

All is well, however. Amare relayed. Lyra is his foal, and Melos has quite the soft spot for his daughter.

 

Eunhyuk snickered. Lyra’s daddy’s little princess, isn’t she?

 

“Hyukjae?” Boa whispered with a tug on his shirt sleeve. Donghae stood beside her with bright eyes, eager for the chance to talk to their long lost friend.  “Can we talk?”

 

Eunhyuk frowned slightly at the use of his birth name, but nodded and slid off of Amare with a silent promise to finish their conversation later. Boa led the men into a small clearing and sat them down on a smooth rock, seating herself on the grass in front of them. They sat in an awkward silence, not really knowing what to say to each other. It had been several years since they had last seen each other.

 

Boa had grown up in Yeryeun, but often came over to play in Ileun with Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Yunho. She found Chrysos’s egg while playing in the forest and the dragon hatched for her. Boa kept it a secret from her parents, as they wanted for her to become a scholar, but she wanted to be free. When it was time for her to go to the capital, she packed her things, but fled with Chrysos into the mountains, riding various wagons and then flying on Chrysos when he grew bigger.

 

She told no one of her flight, except for Leeteuk, who helped her leave undetected, and Eunhyuk and Donghae who caught her while she was escaping. Boa made them swear not to tell a single soul, and then she took off. “Yunho misses you.” Eunhyuk finally said. “He tried to See you, but he couldn’t. He thinks you’re dead.”

 

Boa sighed and turned her gaze to the ground. “I wish I told him. Maybe I wouldn’t have felt so terrible after all these years.” she lifted her head and looked at the two men. “How’s he doing?”

 

Eunhyuk shrugged. “Same old, same old. Still Seeing, still the same grumpy Jung Yunho.” Boa smiled and leaned back on her hands.

 

“That’s nice to hear. Changmin taking care of him?”

 

Donghae snorted. “The more appropriate question is when is he not taking care of him?" The three same age friends laughed, the loud noise startling some birds out of the tree hanging low over their heads.

 

The woman finally stopped laughing and turned to Eunhyuk. “So your second name is Eunhyuk now?” Eunhyuk nodded and Boa grinned. “Ah, that’s great! So why does Donghae still get to call you Hyukjae, but I can't?"

 

Eunhyuk turned a bright red and started stammering but Donghae grinned at her and nudged Eunhyuk with his shoulder. "When was Hyukjae ever able to say no to me?"

 

"There was that time you wanted to swim in the river in your clothes." Boa pointed out.

 

Donghae pouted. "That doesn't count, I was sick!"

 

"It was also the middle of winter." Boa teased. "Hyukjae~ I wanna go swimming!" she playfully sang.

 

"What swimming? The river is frozen!" Eunhyuk finished, voice breaking off to give way to another wave of laughter that he shared with Boa. Donghae glared at them, but his eyes

softened and he too doubled over with laughter.

 

Boa wiped a tear away from her eyes and looked expectantly at the men. "But why didn’t Uncle give Donghae his name too? Weren’t you two both studying under Mr. Lee?” Donghae’s face immediately dropped and Eunhyuk wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

 

Boa’s heart sunk and she reached up to cover in horror. “No... his sickness... he didn’t!” Donghae sniffled and that was all Boa needed to know. She leaped to her feet and wrapped the two men in her arms, holding Donghae’s head to her chest and letting Eunhyuk hide his tears in her shoulder.

 

“By the gods, I’m so sorry, you’ve both been through so much.” she murmured. “I should’ve been here with you guys, I’m so so sorry.” Donghae only cried harder, mourning the loss of his father. Eunhyuk was now sobbing loudly, gripping the back of Boa’s shirt tightly. Boa tried her best to blink away the tears and stay strong for her friends, but a few slipped out of her eyes and trailed down her cheeks.

 

The three reunited friends sat there, the woman holding the two older men as close as she could as they all cried over lost time and lost family.


 

“Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!” Boa roared, hair pulled back in a low bun, the loose strands flying in the wind. “Wu Yifan is dead, go now and avenge him!” Joy had received the message of Yifan being killed, and now everyone’s blood was pumping, ready to take off and have their revenge.

 

Kyuhyun was almost vibrating in anticipation, Melos just as eager under him. “Donghae-hyung!” he shouted. “Are you going to be all right?”

 

“We can’t waste any more time!” Donghae called. He winced slightly, the force of his yell straining at the bandages under his clothes. “We need to leave now!”

 

Leeteuk was already in the air on the back of Alis, a white mare, staff clutched tightly in his hand. Heechul flew up beside him, Gemma whinnying a greeting to Alis. “Let’s leave!” Leeteuk hollered. Alis soared high into the air with one powerful flap of her wings, Gemma following close behind. Melos and Lyra took off together, and Shindong, Sungmin, and Siwon, on the backs of Risus, Ingenium, and Votum, came right after. Eunhyuk and

Please log in to read the full chapter