Chapter 1

Small Steps

“Have you heard?”

“Heard of what?”

“About the new student!”

Jongin sat in his seat and rest his head on the desk. Ever since he got to school, everyone seemed to be gossiping about the possibility of a new student arriving. Jongin, himself, doesn’t believe it because the school he attends rarely gets new students, let alone one in the middle of the school year.

“So, have you heard, Kai?”

Kai was a nickname that his group of friends gave him years ago. Ever since then, it stuck and practically everyone knows him as Kai. Close friends and his family were an exception but even then they sometimes call him by Kai.

The said boy glanced up to see his best friend seated next to him, taking out a notebook and other supplies to get ready for the class. Jongin sighed and moved his arms to be a makeshift pillow for his head.

“The whole school is talking about it, Kyungsoo. It’s hard to miss.”

The other shrugged. “Yeah, but I really hope we get a new student.”

“Why?”

“It’ll mix things up, wouldn’t it?” Kyungsoo grinned as he opened his notebook and wrote the date. “I hope they’re cute.”

Jongin rolled his eyes and smirked. “I bet they can’t be as tiny and squishy as you.”

He laughed and quickly scooted away when his best friend glared and attempted to whack him with his notebook. It wasn’t a lie, though. Kyungsoo, at least in Jongin’s opinion, has a soft feature to his face that made him want to pinch his cheeks.

“Everyone! Take your seats!”

Jongin let a sigh and straightened his back. His eyes wandered around the room but he didn’t notice any difference. Every face in the class was familiar to him. By the time the teacher finished taking attendants, Jongin convinced himself that there was no new student in his class and he leaned back in his seat. Before he could let his mind rest and nap a little, his teacher announced something that caught his attention.

“Very exciting day, everyone! You all probably heard the rumors and I’m here to confirm them!”

“You’re getting married?” A random student piped up, which caused the class to snicker.

An annoyed sigh left the teacher’s lips. “No. But we have a new student joining us today!”

Right as that statement registered in everyone’s ears, the whole class erupted in loud whispers.

“The new guy is in our grade?”

“I knew it! I told you so!”

“I hope they’re hot!”

“I wonder where they came from…”

The teacher started to hit the podium with his ruler. “Quiet down, kids!” The teacher strolled back to the door and opened it. “Please come in and introduce yourself.”

Silence filled the room as every student sat still, anticipating to see how the new student looked like. Even Jongin sat up a little straighter to see who would enter the room.

Tap. Clack. Tap. Clack.

A white stick was the first to be seen by the class. Jongin froze when he spotted a tall, handsome boy. Thick, black frames and solid black lens covered the new student’s eyes and blended with his equally dark hair that was swept across his pale forehead. The uniform was fit snuggly, if not, a little too large on the pale boy’s skinny frame. He stopped walking right when his walking stick made contact with the podium and a smile bloomed on his previous concentrated face, turning to face the class.

Jongin’s mind went blank when a melodic voice filled his ears.

“Hello. My name is Oh Sehun. I hope we will become good friends.” He quickly bowed. He straightened up and stood still to await further instructions.

“It’s good to meet you, Mr. Sehun! Welcome to our class!” The teacher’s voice boomed, making the class jump and Sehun cringe slightly. “Please take a seat in front Mr. Kai. Mr. Kai! Please tell Sehun where you are.”

There was silence for several seconds before Jongin realized that he was supposed to say something. “O-Oh! I’m here!” His cheeks quickly colored when he realized how delayed his response was. He quickly shot Kyungsoo a glare when he heard his best friend’s muffled laughter.

Jongin blanked again when Sehun turned his head to directly face him. He could have sworn they made eye contact (if it weren’t for the fact that Sehun wore opaque glasses and the fact that he was blind…). He didn’t hear anyone or anything around him. He simply remained frozen as he watched Sehun make his way toward the seat right in front of him. Even after Sehun found his seat and sat down, even when the teacher started his lecture, even when Kyungsoo tried to get his attention, Jongin couldn’t stop staring.

He’s even more beautiful up close… Jongin thought. Wow… His hair looks so soft. I just want to tou- Wait… Jongin! What are you thinking! You just saw this person! He doesn’t even know who you are yet!

Jongin quickly shook his head and ignored Kyungsoo’s questioning looks. His mind was a mess, contemplating whether to continue staring at the back of Sehun’s head or take a nap. His mind said to sleep but his heart said to stare. A war was occurring within him. However, his decision was made for him when Sehun turned around in his seat.

Jongin’s breath hitched when he saw a small smile Sehun sent his way. A very gorgeous smile.

Oh my god, Jongin. Stop it! You’re being creepy! You don’t even like boys… Right?

He realized Sehun was telling him something and he really wanted to slap himself for not paying attention.

“Huh? I’m sorry, can you repeat that?” Jongin quickly whispered back.

Instead of an annoyed sigh or something along those lines that he was expecting, Sehun just continued to smile and repeated his last statement. “I said I apologize if this sounds rude but is it alright if you… Don’t stare at the back of my head? I may be blind but I can still feel your stare and it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.”

What a nice voice… Wait! Jongin, respond! Respond!

“Yes, of course! I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable… I didn’t mean it!” He quickly replied. He cringed at the sound of his voice.

Whether Sehun noticed or not, he didn’t show it. He gave Jongin a slightly wider smile and waved slightly. “Don’t worry about it. Thank you for understanding.” With that, he turned back to face the front of the class.

Jongin let out a light sigh. He glanced to the seat next to him and saw that Kyungsoo watched the whole ordeal. The shorter raised an eyebrow. Jongin waved his hand to suggest that he’ll explain later, which he won’t if he could help it. Kyungsoo shrugged and faced his notes again.

How did he know to turn around like that…? It was like he could really see! Blind people are amazing…

The teacher kept going on and on about whatever he was teaching. Jongin didn’t bother listening. He actually didn’t listen in most of his classes. He scored decently enough without studying to make his parents and himself proud. He probably would have gotten higher scores if he bothered to try but he liked to keep it relaxed.

Jongin leaned back in his seat and glanced at Sehun’s study space. As long as he wasn’t staring at the back of Sehun’s head, right?

On Sehun’s desk was a small device. It seemed like it was some sort of voice recorder, judging by its size and red blinking light.

This must be his way of note taking. This seems so much easier! Wait… Does that mean it has our earlier conversation on it? Oh my god…

Before Jongin could fall into deep despair, his eyes shifted to Sehun’s bag that’s leaning against Sehun’s desk. It seemed relatively empty but there was something weighing it down. Jongin shifted slightly to get a better look inside. There seemed to be some sort of notebook inside.

That can’t be it… Sehun’s blind, he can’t take notes. He even has a voice recorder!

He thought about what it could be but gave up when he realized that it doesn’t matter. Jongin sighed and decided that he’ll finally take his nap. His teachers are used to him snoozing in class, today wouldn’t be so different. Well, other than there being an ethereal boy sitting in front of him.

Kim Jongin, pull yourself together.

~*~

“What was that this morning?”

“What was what this morning?”

A frown was evident on Kyungsoo’s face when Jongin looked up from his lunch. He tried to put on the most innocent expression he could muster but it was difficult to keep it on when Kyungsoo’s eyes were almost quite literally staring into his soul.

It was lunch break and the two friends were sitting in their usual seats in the cafeteria, waiting for their other friends, the infamous beagle line (known for their behavior to act like beagles), to join them. Jongin gulped when he saw Kyungsoo put down his chopsticks.

“Kim Jongin.”

Oh no. He used my full name…

“What’s with you and the new kid?”

In all honesty, there really wasn’t anything going on between Jongin and Sehun. Actually, Sehun probably still doesn’t know who Jongin is and Jongin wasn’t planning to change that. It wasn’t like he had some sort of crush on the new student, right? Of course not. At least that’s what Jongin kept telling himself.

“He has a name, you know.” Jongin mumbled and poked at his food. He tried to ignore the look that Kyungsoo was giving him.

“Okay, fine. What’s with you and Sehun?”

Jongin almost winced when Kyungsoo stressed Sehun’s name. “Nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Nothing.”

Jongin saw that Kyungsoo didn’t look convinced. Before Jongin could get questioned again, a heavy weight fell on his back and almost made him crash into his tray of food. He was quite glad that the attention was shifted away from his behavior. At least, for now.

“Baekhyun, get off!”

Snickers were heard as three people sat themselves across from Jongin and Kyungsoo. The shortest of the three grinned at Jongin before stealing pieces of fruit from Jongin’s tray.

“Hey! Baekhyun!”

“I’m hungry! You should know that I take food from you, Kim Kai.”

Jongin grumbled and started to stuff food into his mouth.

“Hey, guys,” The boy with a cat like smile, Jongdae, spoke up. “Have you seen the new student?”

“You mean Sehun?” The tallest, Chanyeol, asked.

Jongdae nodded. “Yeah. He’s in one of my classes with Baekhyun. I don’t know if it’s true but I heard he moved here with his brother or relative or someone from China.”

“I heard that too.” Baekhyun agreed. “And he’s hot. I’m so jealous… It’s a shame he can’t see his own beauty.” He huffed and tried to steal food from Kyungsoo’s boxed lunch, which earned him a slap on the hand.

“But you’re always beautiful to me, babe.” Chanyeol wrapped an arm around Baekhyun, who laughed and punched Chanyeol in the arm.

“Oh, gross.” Jongdae mumbled.

Baekhyun stuck a tongue out at Jongdae. “Hey, you have a boyfriend too!”

“At least Junmyeon and I aren’t as gross as you two. You guys are disgustingly sweet to each other.”

“But we’re not afraid to show the world our love!”

“You mean, you’re cruel enough to coat the world with your sickening affection.”

Jongin chuckled at his friends bickering. He brought the chicken to his mouth and let his mind drift off again.

They’re so weird. I can’t believe I’m friends with them but I’m glad I am. They look happy. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are happy together and I’m sure Jongdae and his boyfriend are happy together. I’m happy for them. He took a swig from his banana milk and shoved rice into his mouth. It’s fine to like another person of the same gender… I mean, as long as they’re happy. But… I’m not attracted to guys, right? I’m not attracted to Sehun… Wait, why did I think of him?

He felt a poke on his arm and he turned to face Kyungsoo.

“So, about that blind ki-”

“I don’t have any romantic feelings towards Sehun at all because this feeling that I’m having in my chest is just the need to befriend him because that’s what a normal person would do, right? They would want to befriend new people and make them feel comfortable in a new environment, right? That this fluttering feeling and the increased speed of my heart is just the feeling of friendship that is waiting to be bloomed, right? Because that’s totally what I wanted to do and not anything else!”

The table was silent for a long moment before Jongin realized he blurted out nonsense. His face quickly resembled a tomato. In the speed of light, he tossed his tray into the trash bin and dashed out of the cafeteria, ignoring his friends’ calls.

He rushed out so fast that he didn’t see where he was going. Right when he turned the corner, he bumped into a person. Crashing was more of what happened. Jongin fell back and he heard a clatter of books making contact with the ground as well.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry!” Kim Jongin, you are such a mess today. Get your act together, man!

“That’s alright.”

Jongin whipped his head up when the familiar voice filled his ears. He immediately started to blush when he realized that Sehun was on the ground, rubbing the back of his head.

“I-I’m sorry!” He didn’t know why he apologized again but he did it anyway. “Let me help you pick up your belongings!”

Sehun had a small smile on his face. “That’s very kind of you.”

Jongin watched Sehun as he collected a few books. The first item Sehun seemed to look for was his walking stick and then his bag. Jongin realized that the books he was holding were regular books. He wondered how Sehun was supposed to read them but then he realized that it wasn’t his business, even if it intrigued his curiosity.

“Here you go.”

“Thank you very much.”

Their hands brushed when Jongin handed the books over to Sehun. His face immediately heated up and he took a step back. He continued to stare as Sehun dusted himself off slightly and adjusted his hold on the items before he tilted his head up. He faced Jongin’s general direction and smiled.

“You’re staring again.”

Jongin’s eyes widen when he heard Sehun’s words. His heart started racing and he didn’t know what to think.

Wow, Jongin. He caught you staring again. What is wrong with you, Kim Jongin? Wait… Again?! Does that mean he remember me? Oh my god I can’t believe he remembers me! You’re such an idiot, Jongin…

“I-I’m sorry!”

Sehun chuckled. “You apologize a lot, don’t you?”

“… Sorry…?”

He didn’t know why he felt so satisfied when Sehun let out a light laugh. He kept telling himself it was just because he wanted to be friends.

Sehun adjusted his glasses and smiled toward Jongin’s direction. “I hate to cut this conversation short, but I have to get going. I’ll see you around… Kai, right?”

As Sehun started to walk away, Jongin quickly turned around.

“Jongin!”

The blind boy stopped and turned back, tilting his head to indicate he was slightly confused about Jongin’s sudden outburst. Jongin just wanted to slap himself again.

“My… My real name is Jongin.”

There was a brief pause before Sehun smiled. “Jongin, is it? I guess I’ll see you around, Jongin.”

Jongin continued to stand there and watch Sehun walk away until he disappeared, feeling content after hearing his name escape Sehun’s lips. He snapped back to reality when the bell rung, indicating that lunch break was over. He let out a sigh and turned back to where he came from to head to his class. He walked to his classroom by himself because he was still embarrassed to confront his friends. It was more like he was too embarrassed to be confronted by his friends.

He sat down in his regular seat and waited for the teacher to enter. Jongin rested his head on his desk as soon as the teacher called his name for attendance.

Kyungsoo’s right. Jongin thought as he closed his eyes. Things will get a little more interesting…


AN: Wow sorry for the lame chapter and for any grammar mistakes. I rewrote it a few times but I'm still not that satisfied with it. I started on chapter 2 and I like that a whole lot better hahaha.
Thank you to everyone who subscribed! This is my first fanfic here and I hope I won't disappoint!
I was actually planning to make this one long fic but it look like it was going to take forever so I decided to make it chaptered. That being said, I cannot promise of quick updates! I'll probably take a thousand years to write and another thousand to edit. I hope you guys will stick around to see how this will unfold (because I only planned out the first half hahaha). Anyways, thank you once again and hopefully future ANs will be shorter!