EXO Labs

Out of the Rubble

Jongin sits on his rather tiny cot dumbstruck by the information that Yifan is currently bombarding him with. According to the scientist, the strange wave of energy that emitted from the meteor that night didn’t affect the general population of Seoul. It only caused momentary confusion and chaos as the meteor did land on and fully collapse an entire building.

“But,” Yifan says with a small smile, “As you already know, the wave of energy that came from the meteor was not escaped by just everybody. When you mother found you unconscious in your room, she rushed you to the hospital right away. They kept you in intensive care for a bit until you…” Yifan pauses for a bit as if contemplating on what to say next.

Jongin stares at the older man with wide eyes. “Did I do something bad?” he asks in a small voice, his mind hastily jumping to the worse case scenario. He didn’t kill anyone did he?

Yifan lets out a laugh. “Oh no, you didn’t do anything illegal. Well, we’re not really sure if it is considered legal or not because it’s never happened before. You…started teleporting while you were unconscious.”

Jongin looks owlish, unblinking until his eyes start watering, batting his eyelashes profusely as he attempts to process the information.

“Yeah!” Jongin’s attention shifts to one of the two boys behind Yifan. He’s significantly shorter than Yifan and a good two inches shorter than his partner beside him. “Hi my name is Jongdae by the way. Even when you got here you’d randomly teleport to random places in the building. One time you teleported when Luhan was in the bath-“

The boy beside Jongdae, whom Jongin assumes is Luhan, hastily claps his hand over Jongdae’s mouth with a brief glare at his co-worker before smiling apologetically.

“Sorry about that. You can continue Yifan.”

Yifan chuckles. “Thanks Luhan. Anyways, yes, as Jongdae said, you started teleporting randomly. The first time you teleported, the nurse that was tending to you nearly passed out from shock. They immediately contacted us when they discovered your new...abilities. You’ve been here ever since. In fact, tomorrow would’ve marked your 6th month here if you didn’t wake up today.”

Jongin realizes that his mouth must be agape at the moment but he couldn’t bring himself to care. He can WHAT? Teleport?

He slowly lies back down, the information swimming around in his head. He doesn’t exactly know how he feels. He knows that he should at least be shocked or something along the lines of slightly frightened but the first thing he thinks of is-

“Oh my god did I flunk out of college?”

Jongdae lets out a chortle. “I like this kid, he's a real keeper.”

Yifan just shakes his head with a smile. “No you didn’t flunk out. You were put on an indefinite hold because we weren’t sure when you would wake up but now that you are awake, we have many things that we want to discuss with you.”

Jongin stares at the ceiling. This is honestly too much for his brain to handle but he doesn’t want to say that all he really wants at the moment is for him to be at home watching Netflix with his dog Dubu slobbering in his lap.

“I understand that his is a lot for you to handle right now, do you want us to come back later?” Yifan asks gently.

Jongin shakes his head. “Naw it’s fine! I think. I just, wow, teleportation? Is that even possible?”

At this, Yifan makes his way to a large computer-like gadget in the middle of the room, rapidly tapping away at multiple buttons until he arrives at what he wants.

“See this?” Yifan says pointing at a bunch of science-y looking things that Jongin absolutely loathed in high school. “These are your cells. When you teleport-“ suddenly all his cells disappear, reappearing on the other side of the screen. “Your cells…your whole being disperses and puts itself back together in another place. It’s so fascinating really,” Yifan starts.

He continues to inform Jongin of the new revelations he’s come across since Jongin got to EXO Labs and Jongin nods at appropriate times, not wanting to dishearten the other by telling him that he nearly flunked grade 11 chemistry.

“So I guess the reason why I’m explaining all of this to you is because,” Yifan clears his throat before continuing, “I want you to stay here. I want to offer you a job on behalf of EXO Labs. We want to help you train your new abilities as well as put them to good use.”

“Good use?” Jongin asks confused.

“The night you were hit, you weren’t the only one. I want to introduce you to someone. Jongdae, want to do the honors?”

“Gladly!” Jongdae beams, “You might want to cover your ears,” he warns Jongin.

He waits a total of .5 seconds before bellowing, “SOO COME HERE PLEAAASSSEEE!!!”

Although Jongin’s eardrums probably blew out, he is rather impressed by Jongdae’s volume. It could probably match his grandma’s.

There is silence for a moment until a figure appears in the doorway, shuffling into the room.

Jongin looks at the newcomer with interest when their eyes meet. Jongin’s eyes widen as does the other, recognition sparking in their eyes.

“Jongin?”

“KYUNGSOO?”

The other three in the room look at the two, bewildered. “You know each other?”

 

a/n hi everyone! thanks for subscribing so far :) here's the first chapter yay! for those of you who are currently reading Dream in Colours as well, I will get the next chapter out soon, I'm just experiencing a slight dry spell...writer's block? if you will. I'm changing the chapter around a lot. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this for now ^^ subscribing, commenting and upvoting is always appreciated! seeya!