Thirty One

Dragon Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol rolled his eyes at the looks that he is getting. He gets it that they are feeling all paranoid that he will relapse into his scary self when he has first lost his Pyriel. But he knows better. He has learned his lesson and it would do them no good if he will push them all out and do things all by himself. He needs all the help he could get that that is what his friends could give.

They had to dismiss the people that Chanyeol’s parents hired because they can’t exactly describe that the person they are looking for could summon and control ice. So they immediately gathered all the things that they would need and set-out to follow Pyriel and Minseok. It was already easier to do it because Yifan could feel his daughter’s presence. He had been close enough to get acquainted with Pyriel’s energy, the one thing that he failed to do before, and that is what they are going to rely to for their search.

The next thing that they had to do is to tell Aeriel and Jongsoo that they will be gone for a few days. It wasn’t easy, especially for Aeriel who is adamant to coming to get her twin back. So in order to get her to stay, Jongin and Kyungsoo worked to convince Jongsoo to stay and persuade Aeriel as well.

“Uncle Baekhyun and Zitao will be here to play, honey,” Kyungsoo told his son who has copied Jongin’s pout perfectly.

“But Jongsoo wants to come, mom. Jongsoo can’t sleep without mom,” his lips are quivering as he looked up his parents with eyes that looks like Kyungsoo’s when he is pleading. Jongin is about to break because he cannot bear seeing their son cry but Kyungsoo pinched his side, reminding him that it will be dangerous for their son to come along. Jongin will need to be focused and it will be difficult if he has to worry that Jongsoo will get hurt. Kyungsoo is still not confident with his power use so he’d rather not risk it.

“Son,” Jongin started and picked up Jongsoo. The boy is sniffling a little and holds his pouty and sad look. “We will be back soon, I promise. I cannot put you at risk because where we are going might be dangerous. I want you to stay here and protect princess Aeriel at all costs. Can you do that for dad?”

Jongsoo looked conflicted in between having his parents by his side and by being given the task to protect Riri. His mom has always told him that his dad is a great General and that he is strong and brave. Jongsoo wanted to be like his dad, he wanted to be strong and brave too.

“Okay, dad. Jongsoo will protect Riri. Promise!” he raised his right hand in oath while his other is clutching his Pororo close.

That helped a lot in keeping Aeriel in place.

“Princess, please. Just listen to your Dada,” Yifan kneeled so that he is on eye level with her daughter. Her fight has already calmed when they mentioned that Jongsoo is also staying behind.

“But Papa, Pipi…”

“Will be safe and we will bring her back to us, Riri,” Chanyeol patted her head gently. He needed to be extra careful this time. He wouldn’t want to risk both of his daughters. He might just go insane if that happens.

Aeriel relented with a pout and she insisted on sleeping with her parents that night.

The next day, they have gathered in the living room of Chanyeol’s house. Mrs. Park was there to send them off. She wanted to stop Chanyeol from going but she understands his need to be right there. After all, she is a mother too. And though it was already agreed that Yixing will be coming, Junmyeon had ‘forgotten’ to wake him up. They are not sure when the Carrier will be Delivering so it is better safe than sorry.

He can’t stay behind for reasons that is critical.

He needs to put his elder brother in line. He was not the Minseok that he knew. His brother is a loving and caring guy and he knows that something must have happened for him to become the Frost Mage.

“Let us get going,” Yifan led their party out the back. He needed to Change into a Dragon for him to quickly locate Pyriel. The others filed out after him and when they were sure that they are in the part of the forest where no one will see them, Yifan started the shift.

As the Dragon made itself known again, they immediately rode on its back and they flew high up.

 

Minseok had to stop. His Magic is taxing to Pyriel, who has the Magic of the fire, and the more he uses it, the more it affects the girl. He knew he is losing his advantage by stopping but his priority is Pyriel. He had set camp into one of the crevices alongside the mountain. It was wide enough for the two of them. He watched as the little girl’s chest moves as she slept peacefully beside him.

He knows that he just can’t let her go, even though she deserves her own family. He knew from the look of the Prince and the Vessel that they were not the ones who banished their daughter. He won’t be surprised if he finds out that it was also the Emperor’s doing. They wouldn’t have been looking for Pyriel if they had a hand to her being left in the forest.

For the short time that he was with Pyriel, he had a new reason to move forward. He has somebody to take care of and there was somebody who appreciates his efforts.

But then, who is he to deprive her of her chance to grow up in a complete family? Living without one has done so many bad things to Minseok; he doesn’t know where to start. His inner debate had kept him up all night and the sun is already high up the sky and yet he doesn’t have the answer.

It was too late because he has already felt that they were just outside, waiting for him to make a bad move and then Pyriel will be snatched away from him. He clung onto the little girl tighter and let some tears escaped his eyes. He could fight them off; it will not be that hard, given his abilities. But risking his Ellie seeing him like the cruel monster he was before is out of the question.

Minseok has done so much to just bury whatever it was that he has done before because he grew tired of it all. Destroying and exacting revenge weren’t as fulfilling as he thought it would be and if he did launch his attack against the center of Dragonia, what would he have gained from that? The weight of the guilt was more than the weight of satisfaction seeing how he will live up to the reputation he was judged to be prematurely,

He’s at a lost on what to do that he failed to notice a lurking figure just at the entrance of their safe haven. A small crunch of rock under the intruder’s boot has triggered for Minseok to shoot an ice dart towards the source and he felt mixed emotions when he saw that it was Junmyeon, his brother. It has been years since he last saw the younger at that close of a distance. The younger was wary with his approach because he was almost impaled by that dart thrown at him but he still moved forward, seeing how his elder brother is holding on to the other princess.

“Minseok, can we talk?” he started as he was able to get close. He didn’t want to get too close for fear that the elder might get defensive and risk Pyriel but he also wanted to get as close as possible to show that he is to be trusted.

Minseok lifted up Ellie so that he is supporting her upper body with his one arm as her legs were draped across Minseok’s. She unconsciously leaned closer to her guardian but she remained in slumber. When his brother made no hostile move after that, he sighed in relief and sat on the ground that allowed him to look directly at his brother who he isn’t sure who is anymore.

“I—,“ Junmyeon hesitated a bit. Where should he start? What should he be saying to Minseok? What should he be doing? It was all a jumble in his mind when he knows that he was prepared for this the night before. Maybe it is his subconscious making him worry over Yixing but he needs to gather himself together because he is not doing this for himself. He is doing this to spare his brother while still saving Pyriel.

“What happened, Minseok?” he breathed loud enough for the other to hear. Minseok felt a pang in his chest because his brother was still so young when he was banished. It wasn’t even a year that they were together when he was so harshly taken away from his old life. “I just woke up one day and fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter