75.

Three Halves to Make Me Whole

"He is a little... Different," Minseok said, ZiTao shaking his head and laughing.

"A little different?" he repeated before a scream made them both pale. Minseok was the first one off the bench, but they both were shocked when hyunwon came barolling out of the flower bed to latch onto ZiTao's waist. Minseok watched the blond peel the younger off just enough to kneel down in front of him, Hyungwon quick to latch onto him again.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Minseok asked, reaching out to pet the back of the child's head, Hyungwon turning his head from ZiTao's neck just enough to point at the flower bed he had been in.

"B-bug," he stammered, Minseok noticing the flicker of panic that entered zitao's eyes before Hyungwon pressed his face back into the crook of his neck and the panic seemed to fade into a conflicted look. ZiTao started rubbing Hyungwon's back with one hand, keeping him close with the other.

"It... It's okay. It won't hurt you... Bugs are... They're more scared of us... Because we're bigger than they are." He didn't sound completely trusting in his own words, but the seemed to help Hyungwon through his moment of panic, eventually releasing his deathgrip to look back over at the flowers.

"Will you... Come pick flowers with me? So they stay away?" Minseok smiled as ZiTao nodded, Hyungwon taking a hold of his hand and leading him over to the flower bed, explaining what flowers he was picking and what all they did. Minseok started to follow after them, pausing as his mobile buzzed and he pulled it back to see he had a text from Hakyeon saying he would be hading back in an hour, thus would be at the apartment is just over 4 hours. He sent a short reply, letting the other know that everything was fine before he followed after the two to the flower bed.

"Having fun?" he asked, ZiTao giving him a small smile that turned back to Hyungwon when he was offered another flower.

"You'll be super safe if you put them all over your house," Hyungwon explained, flinching when something buzzed by his hear, instinctually swatting at it, ZiTao and Minseok flinching at the startled cry he let out before in a blur there were tears streaming down the child's face and he had fallen back onto his back, cradling his own face.

“H-Hyungwon?” ZiTao called, Minseok moving to help the little boy sit up, trying to pull his hands away from his face. “What happened, are you okay?”

“The a-a-alien bit m-me,” Hyungwon wailed, Minseok finally pulling his hand back to find a bump on his cheek with something small and black sticking out. ZiTao’s heart almost broke at the sound Hyungwon made when Minseok pulled it out.

“He got stung by a bee, he’ll be alright,” he said to ZiTao, letting Hyungwon gingerly hold his hands over his cheek. “Come on, let’s get you home, we’ll make the pain go away there,” Minseok added, holding his arms out to pick Hyungwon up, the child turning to face ZiTao, reaching up towards him. ZiTao’s eyes flickered to Minseok’s, looking unsure of what to do before he leaned down, waiting for Hyungwon to wrap his arms around his neck before he straightened up. He secured his arms around the child’s small frame, Hyungwon’s legs wrapping around his waist as if ZiTao would be dropping him sometime soon, Minseok picking up Candi as they made their way from the park. Hyungwon’s tears had mostly dried by the time they had gotten back, but his eyes were still red and he made small pained noises as he was shifted to sit on ZiTao’s lap.

“This might sting a little, but I promise it’ll make the pain go away after a few moments,” Minseok warned, taking the container of baking soda down from the cabinet, setting a bowl next to it while he dug out a spoon from one of the kitchen drawers. He mixed the baking soda with a little water, making a paste that he set on the kitchen table while he pulled a chair over to sit in front of the other two. Coating the back of the spoon with the paste he reached out, taking a gentle hold of the child’s chin, only for Hyungwon to turn his head away when he went to put the paste on the bump. Minseok looked up at ZiTao who bit his lower lip as Minseok tried again, Hyungwon turning his head away again and the blond noticed the slight irritation that flickered in Minseok’s eyes.

“Hey, Hyungwon, you know those flowers that you were showing us?” he asked, Hyungwon looking up at him. “They grind them up and turn them into powder, to make pain go away. That’s what Hyung mixed with the water.”

“You two didn’t seem to know about the flowers though,” Hyungwon pouted.

“We didn’t know that they were powerful enough to heal you when you were dying or save you from aliens, we only know about them making stings not hurt,” ZiTao replied, Hyungwon looking to Minseok, then to the bowl of paste before back up at ZiTao, not looking fully convinced. “Here, I’ll show you that it’s safe,” ZiTao added, reaching for the spoon to smear some of the paste on his own cheek. The room fell silent for a few long moments, Hyungwon reaching out to poke the gritty paste once it had dried, rubbing the fallout between his fingers. “See?” he asked, dipping the spoon in the paste once again. “It’s safe.” Hyungwon looked down at the spoon, Minseok expecting him to turn his head away when ZiTao started for his cheek, mouth hanging open a little as the child allowed him to coat the bump with the paste. He winced a little as it was applied, but he offered no further protest about it to Minseok’s amazement.

“Good job, Hyungwon,” Minseok praised, the child’s attention turning to him while ZiTao set the spoon back in the bowl. “Your parents should be here in a couple of hours, is there anything you want to do?” he asked. Hyungwon thought for a long moment before looking up at ZiTao.

“Do you have any movies we can watch?”


“How was he? How were things? I hope this wasn’t too much trouble for the two of you,” the silver haired male rattled, accepting the sleeping child from Minseok who had to all-but pry him from his hold on ZiTao.

“He was a treat, even if there was a… bit of a bump,” Minseok said hesitantly, Hakyeon looking down at the child in his arms to see the literal bump.

“What-” Wonshik’s hand on the older’s shoulder cut him off, the pair looking to Minseok.

“We went to the park, he got stung by a bee, but he’s okay. We put baking soda on it to take the sting away and he fell asleep while we were watching a movie after.”

“You… How did you get him to stop crying?” Hakyeon asked, Minseok and ZiTao exchanging a look. “Even when he’s with Taekwoon he cries for nearly an hour.”

“Probably because you weren’t here to cry with him,” Wonshik teased, Hakyeon shifting the sleeping child in his arms just enough to deliver a hand chop to his neck.

“Hush you, I just make sure he knows it’s okay to cry if he’s hurt,” the silver haired male protested, Wonshik giving a roll of his eyes and Hakyeon shifted Hyungwon to hold him closer – something that Minseok and ZiTao hadn’t thought was possible.

“I knew that Hakyeon was the type, but you didn’t really seem like someone to want children, Wonshik,” Minseok stated, the barista pulling his focus away from Hakyeon, looking surprised before he laughed.

“Actually, I’m the one who brought up raising kids first. Hakyeon didn’t think the time was right, and then four months later he came home with a baby.” Minseok and ZiTao’s eyes widened in synch, Hakyeon’s cheeks puffing out in a pout.

“You make it sound so much stranger than it was,” He said, ZiTao shifting a little closer to Minseok.

“It sounds like there’s a story behind it,” Minseok countered, turning and gesturing for them all to follow him into the kitchen to settle at the dining room table, offering coffee. ZiTao snuggled close into his side, eyes on Hakyeon who looked a little embarrassed.

“It’s not some kind of fascinating story,” he tried to argue, but the look Minseok was giving him told him that he wasn’t getting out of this, and he let out a small sigh. “How long has it been, Wonshik?” he asked, the blue haired male leaning forward to rest his chin in the palm on his hand, elbow on the table.

“Almost six years.”

“You two’ve been together for more than six years already?” ZiTao asked in awe, Hakyeon laughing.

“We’ve basically been married since we started high school. Hyungwon came into our lives six years ago…” Hakyeon trailed off, looking over at Wonshik. “I had a late meeting with a family friend, he was the head of the building that I’m now in charge of. He was trying to convince me that I should come work in the social worker and fostering business as an internship while I was still trying to decide what college path I wanted to take. I explained to him for the hundredth time that I didn’t feel like I would be able to handle being in a field like that, knowing I wouldn’t be able to save every child from a bad home… and knowing the risk of taking someone from neglectful parents only to place them in an abusive foster home tore me up.” Hakyeon swallowed hard, ZiTao noticing the way his hold on the child in his arms tightened.

“When I was leaving to head home, someone knocked into me, and when I went to apologize they shoved a blanket bundle in my arms before running off. When I realized that there was an infant in the blanket I ran back to the office in a bit of a panic. He couldn’t contact any of the fosters that he was in charge of, and he asked if I was willing to take care of the infant.”

“He comes home without sending me a text or calling me to let me know any of this, so when he walked in the door-”

“You stared at me and asked why I had a baby,” Hakyeon cut in with a laugh.

“Totally got in the way of me proposing,” Wonshik grinned, Hakyeon rolling his eyes.

“You’re so full of it,” he replied, a smile quirking at his own lips. “I called Taekwoon after Wonshik stopped freaking out-”

“-You mean when you stopped freaking out-”

“-Hush. I asked Taekwoon what to do with a baby, and he hung up on me! I was appalled that my platonic soul mate would do such a thing, until ten minutes later he was knocking on our door, demanding to hold the baby. A few days of lots of paperwork and trying to find his biological parents came up with no results, so he was going to be put up for adoption. I wasn’t a registered foster parent, but the family friend offered to have me go through the application process to become one so I could watch over him… But when he offered to watch him while I worked on the paperwork, I looked down at the sleeping bundle in my arms and I just… knew. I knew that he was meant to be with Wonshik and me. It’s because of him that I decided to take over for the family friend when he retired, to do what I do to try and help as many children as I can…”

“So Hakyeon asked for adoption papers instead of foster ones,” Wonshik finished, tears starting to lace the older’s eyes. Hakyeon nuzzled the top of Hyungwon’s head, the child not so much as stirring in his sleep.

“We let Taekwoon name him. When we asked what he should be called, he answered with ‘Hyung’ and Wonshik laughed asking why. He shrugged and said that he looked like a Hyung, and I pointed out that he was only four months old, how could he look like a Hyung. So Taekwoon said to add ‘won’ to the end. Again we asked why and he pointed to Wonshik. Thus he was named Hyungwon.” Hakyeon finally looked up at the pair across the table. “And that’s the story of how our precious little angel came into our lives,” He added, flinching a little when Wonshik sneezed loudly. He sniffled a little before sneezing again, and ZiTao heard the jingle of Candi’s collar, looking under the table to see the fluff ball pawing at one of Hyungwon’s legs.

“I think that’s our cue to leave,” Hakyeon said, Wonshik wincing a little to fight back another sneeze. The pair stood, Minseok and ZiTao walking them to the door. The copper haired male locked the door, taken back a little when he turned around to find ZiTao so close.

“I want one.” Minseok blinked.

“You want one what?”

“A kid. I want a little boy that looks just like you,” ZiTao stated, Minseok laughing and stepping past him.

“You’re a kid, kid, you don’t need a kid.”