12. I'm Just Like this Because I'm A Little Sad

Three Halves to Make Me Whole

(( A/N Yo~ A day later than usual, yay for con shenanegains making things too hecktic to post last night, and I'm only updating this one rn, the other will get updated sometime... oops.

Here you go~

Bonded pairs so far:
Romantic~
BaekYeol
KaiSoo

Platonic~
ChanSoo
SuLay
BaekChen))

 


I'm Just Like this Because I'm A Little Sad

 

Kyungsoo checked the time on his mobile, leaning against the fence that laced the perimeter of Jongin’s house. He was still early to pick the other up, but in the chance that the other wasn’t ready he could spend time with Ddalgi, so he pocketed the device and pushed himself off the fence. He made his way up the walk way, knocking on the door to trigger barking that faded and then the door opened. Jongin smiled at him before stepping back to let him in.

“I thought you were Sehun for a second, coming back to tease me some more.” The younger said, closing the door behind Kyungsoo.

“You should think of a really creative way to get him back one day.” Kyungsoo said, turning to face the other and seeing a familiar patch of fur. He smiled, missing Jongin’s wince before he moved behind the other, pulling Ddalgi from where she had attached herself to the back of Jongin’s shirt.

“She’s taken to… riding around the house on my back.” Jongin said, reaching back to gently massage where her claws had been. Kyungsoo kissed the top of Ddalgi’s head, cuddling her into his chest as she began to purr.

“You love your Jongin, don’t you?” He asked and the Persian looked with wide eyes to the mentioned male.

“She… sure.” Jongin said, his heart skipping a beat when the older looked at him. “I-I just need to get my babies’ leashes… then we can head out.” He said and Kyungsoo nodded, petting Ddalgi. He waited in the hallway, setting Ddalgi down once Jongin had slid on his shoes and stepped outside after Monggu, Jjangu and Jjangah, laughing when she tried to follow after Jongin. He managed to get out with her still in the house and he held his hand out to Jongin who looked confused.

“Let me take one of the leashes for you.” He said, reaching for one.

“Jjangu pulls the least.” Jongin stated, handing the leash over and the pair started towards the park. They took turns talking about their classes, Jongin expressing how excited he was to be graduating in a couple of months.

“We’ll be able to see each other more when we go to the same school.” The younger said, his gaze focused on the ground. “Not being able to see you more than a couple times a month this year… It’s …” He bit his lower lip and his stomach flipped unpleasantly.

“It’s been hard.” Kyungsoo said and Jongin looked over at him, a smile ghosting his lips. “But we’ve managed to get through it so far. They say that long distance relationships are the easiest to lose in the first few months.” Kyungsoo looked over at the other, slowing to as stop and the other did the same. “Maybe we’re soulmates, and that’s why we’ve been able to get through this.” Jongin felt his heart leap into his throat and a blush scatter across his cheeks.

He then felt something wrap around the back of his knees before his knees knocked into Kyungsoo’s thighs and their torsos were forced together causing him to jump and Kyungsoo grabbed onto his waist to keep himself up. They looked down to see that the mutt trio had looped around them, tangling them and all but tying them together with the leashes. Kyungsoo’s smile turned into a small frown, trying to untie them from the leash he held, Jongin laughing at the displeased expression on the older’s face.

“This only happens in movies, it’s cliché, make it stop.” He groaned and they slowly managed to free themselves, Jongin laughing the entire time.

Jongin had a piece of chocolate between his lips as they were sitting on one of the park benches, leaning towards Kyungsoo, who was refusing to take it from him when the older’s mobile notification tone went off. He pulled it from his pocket, looking over the message before shaking his head.

“I’m going to have to leave earlier than I thought.” He sighed, looking to the pout on Jongin’s face as he swallowed the chocolate.

“Why?” He whined as Kyungsoo replied to the text he had received.

“I have to babysit for a friend’s little brother.”

“Friend’s little brother?” Jongin echoed.

“Well, an ex’s little brother actually. His parents are out of town, and he’s supposed to watch his brother but he got asked out by this guy he’s liked for a couple of years, so he asked me to watch his little brother while they went out.”

“I’m good with kids.” Jongin said and Kyungsoo clicked send before looking up at him, raising an eyebrow. “W-well you might get bored or not know what to do… I could help you keep him entertained.” He explained, looking down at his lap. Kyungsoo paused for a moment, and then turned his attention back to his mobile. Jongin fidgeted under the silence that fell between them until Kyungsoo’s mobile made another noise.

“He says it’s fine if you join me in babysitting.” Jongin looked over at the other, who stood and offered his hand to help Jongin up.


They dropped off the mutt trio and Kyungsoo had to remove Ddalgi from Jongin’s pant leg this time before they headed back towards Kyungsoo’s parent’s house.

“So this is… your ex’s little brother, right?” Jongin asked slowly.

“Yeah. Hongbin and I stayed friends after breaking up. He’s one of the few people I get alone with.” Kyungsoo explained, leading the other around the corner and down the street Jongin remembered going down when he had gotten lost for their first date. “And his little brother likes playing pranks, so Hongbin says it’s hard to find people who are willing to watch him.” He finished, coming to a stop in front of a walk way and pointing to the house.

Jongin looked at it before following the other up to it, messing with the hem of his shirt while they waited for someone to asker the door. The lock on the door made a soft click before there was the patter of feet that grew louder, followed by a loud thud on the door, causing Jongin to almost leap out of his skin. There was a moment of muffled voices before the door opened to reveal a blond kid rubbing a red spot on his forehead, and a black haired male with doe eyes that were scrunched up as he was fighting back a laugh as the blond frowned up at him.

“Twelve years old and he still runs on wooden floors in socks.” The black haired male said in a much deeper voice than Jongin was expecting, and the blond gave him a weak punch in the side. The kid looked to Kyungsoo then, his pout fading into a faintly shy smile and the black haired male looked to Jongin. “You must be Kyungsoo’s boyfriend. He’s told me a lot about you. I’m Hongbin, and this is Sanghyuk.” He introduced and the blond looked to Jongin, his smile fading. He turned around running into the house and up the stairs in line of sight from the door way and Jongin frowned a little. Hongbin looked after him, shaking his head before offering Jongin an apologetic smile. “He’s a little slow to warm up to people.” He added, stepping back and gesturing for the pair to come in.

“Has he had dinner yet?” Kyungsoo asked, slipping out of his shoes. Hongbin let out a small laugh in response slipping into his own.

“He knew you were coming over. He tried to skip lunch so he would have a bigger appetite, but finally did eat a little something. I imagine he’ll be hungry again soon.” Hongbin replied and Kyungsoo nodded. “Thank you again, I owe you big time.” He added, opening the door.

“It’s no big deal, really. I think Taekwoon and you will make a good pair.” He stated and Hongbin’s cheeks tinted as he ran a hand through his hair.

“You know what he’s like to be around, so that eases my nerves a bit coming from you. Thanks.” He replied. “It was nice to get the chance to finally meet you, Jongin. I wish I had more time to stay and chat, bit I’m running behind already.” He said, giving the pair a small wave before leaving the house.

“Make yourself comfortable.” Kyungsoo said, looking up at Jongin. “I’m going to start on something for dinner. Hopefully Sanghyuk will get tired after eating and we can still have some alone time to watch a movie or something.” He said, pointing down the hall to their right. “The living room is through that doorway at the end of the entryway.” He added before going left through a swinging door that revealed enough for Jongin to deduct it was the kitchen.

Jongin looked right and started for the living room when a thud above him stopped him in his tracks. He remained still for a moment before slowly looking up to see Sanghyuk sitting on the second floor, legs and head through the safety railing. He slammed his heels against the wall they dangled before and Jongin flinched, realizing that had been the noise that had stopped him.

“So you’re what Hyung ditched my brother for?” The blond asked, leaning as far forward as the railing would allow him to. “What’s so special about you? You’re not even cute.” He added, sticking his tongue out and Jongin stared at him. “What’s the matter, cat got your tongue?” He asked before plugging his nose. “Can’t be, you reek of dogs.”

What’s with this kid? Jongin wondered as the blond pulled his head and legs back from the railing, disappearing down the upstairs hall. He went into the living room and messed with the several remoted on the coffee table, the fourth one finally turning on the television. He head Kyungsoo in the entry way an hour later.

“Sanghyuk! Come down stairs, it’s time for dinner.” Kyungsoo called, and there was the patter of feet again before the blond appeared at the top of the stairs. “I was surprised when you didn’t join me while I was cooking.” Kyungsoo said as the blond made his way down the stairs, grabbing into his arm as Jongin entered the entryway.

“I had homework to finish.” He said, looking up at Kyungsoo, who looked to Jongin and waved him over, starting for the kitchen. Sanghyuk released the older to sit at the table, and Jongin sat across from him, Kyungsoo setting a plate before each of them before going and getting one for himself and stepping back over to the table. He started towards the side that Jongin was on when Sanghyuk caught the bottom of his shirt and tugged, bouncing in his seat.

“Sit with me!” He whined and Kyungsoo saw Jongin’s eyes narrow a little from the corner of his eye. Was the other… Jealous? Of a child? The thought made him inwardly smile and he sat right next to Sanghyuk, the three of them eating. Sanghyuk quickly turned into a chatter box, telling Kyungsoo about what seemed like every little thing that had happened since he had last seen the older. Jongin picked at his plate of spaghetti, eventually eating half of it before he put his fork down and pushed his plate forward. Sanghyuk looked from Kyungsoo to Jongin, stopping the story he had been in the middle of.

“Do you not like Hyung’s cooking?” He asked and Jongin looked up in surprise.

“Huh?”

“You didn’t eat much, and you kept picking at it like you thought it was gross!” The blond accused before looking at Kyungsoo. “I like your food!” He exclaimed before shoveling what was left on his plate into his mouth, going as far as to the plate clean. When he set the plate down, Kyungsoo giggled at the fact that sauce decorated one of his cheeks and his nose, not to mention his chin and mouth and he took a gentle hold of Sanghyuk’s chin as the little one opened his mouth to rattle more accusations towards Jongin. He shut up as Kyungsoo took his napkin and started to clean the sauce from his face. He set the napkin down, still holding the blond’s chin, his eyes flickering to Jongin’s tight expression before back to Sanghyuk. He his thumb, bringing it to the corner of Sanghyuk’s mouth to scrub off a stubborn patch of sauce and he saw Jongin look away from the corner of his eye, releasing Sanghyuk’s chin. A faint bush powdered the blond’s cheeks and something else about the situation clicked for the eldest. Sanghyuk had a crush on him; and he was going to have fun with it.


Over the next three hours he let Sanghyuk hold his hand when dragging him from the kitchen, sit in his lap while they watched cartoons, and even snuggle up against him as they watched Spiderman – Jongin making a weak protest that the blond was too old to be sitting on Kyungsoo’s lap to which Sanghyuk stuck his tongue out and sat in the older’s lap anyway. The kid fell asleep near the end of the movie, his head nestled in the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck and he fought back a smirk as Jongin clenched and unclenched his fist on the other side of the couch.

The credits rolled and Kyungsoo wrapped one arm around the bond’s torso, hooking the other under his knees before standing with him.

“I’m going to put him to bed.” He said, Jongin stiffly nodding. Sanghyuk didn’t stir in the slightest when Kyungsoo set him in his bed and pulled the covers over him and he laughed softly. The younger knew having a crush on his was pointless, didn’t he? For several reasons. He heard the front door close and he made is way from Sanghyuk’s room, Hongbin looking up from taking off his shoes when Kyungsoo got to the stairs, smiling at the other.

“Sanghyuk in bed?”

“Yeah, he’s been asleep for about half an hour. How was your date?” A blush crossed Hongbin’s cheeks again.

“It was really great. He’ quieter than you, but it’s a nice kind of quiet… you know?” He asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I told you that you two would work well.” Kyungsoo said, looking through the doorway to the living room at Jongin. “Come on, I should get you home before it gets much later.” He said, the other nodding as he kept his gaze lowered and stood from the couch. He remained silent as Kyungsoo and Hongbin hugged goodbye, giving a nod when Hongbin wished him a goodnight, gripping the bottom of his shirt again as they walked in silence. Maybe this hadn’t been the best game to play, Kyungsoo thought. The other was taking it far too seriously. He stopped when they reached the fence around Jongin’s house, catching the younger by his arm when he kept walking.

“Even with what I said today, you think you’re going to lose me to a child?” He asked, the other finally making eye contact for the first time since dinner.

“N-no.”

“We’re lying now, are we?” Kyungsoo asked, arching an eyebrow. “I saw the way you acted when I started playing along with Sanghyuk’s little crush.” Jongin dropped his gaze again, scuffing the ground with his foot. “Hey.” Kyungsoo stepped closer, his height making it easy to look at the other others downcast face. “I meant what I said earlier, about us being soulmates? Do you no feel it? Is that why you won’t look at me?” Jongin tried to take a step back and Kyungsoo tightened his grip on the other’s arm. “Jongin.”

“Sanghyuk…. He said…” Jongin tried to swallow the lump in his throat. “He made it seem like… I was a down grade…. Compared to Hongbin-hyung.” He replied, his voice shaking a little. Kyungsoo sighed and the younger cringed.

“That boy is a brat more often than Baekhyun.” He muttered, reaching out to place his hand on Jongin’s cheek, the other looking at up again. “You are not a down grade, in any way. Hongbin’s handsome, sure.” Kyungsoo smiled at Jongin in a way that made his heart throb. “But you, Kim Jongin, are absolutely beautiful.” The younger’s eyes widened, feeling his heart start to pound as Kyungsoo lowered his hand. “Now, how about a goodnight kiss?” He asked and Jongin’s cheeks tinted. He leaned down, giving the other a quick peck on his cheeks before he straightened. Kyungsoo puffed out his lips in a small pout before pointing to them. “You missed.” He stated before stretching up on his toes to press his lips to Jongin’s.