Fan Event #4: Ours

Three Halves to Make Me Whole

(( This took longer than expected xD LuHan's pov in this hit really close to home for me, so I had a little trouble with writing it, but here it is! LuHan going to meet Sehun's parents ^^ Last one will be up probably the end of next week, with the second SuChen :3 ))



“What if they don’t like me?”

“Hyung, they’re going to love you because I love you.”

“How can you be sure about that?”

“Because I’m their son, and they want me to be happy,” Sehun reasoned, watching the way LuHan’s shoulders sagged from the passenger seat of the older’s car.

“Should I have dyed my hair back to brown?”

“Oh my god Hyung, no.”

“But-”

“They paid for me to get rainbow streaks in my hair, your hair being pink isn’t going to freak them out.”

“Wait, when was your hair rainbow?” LuHan asked, catching the younger’s shrug out of the corner of his eye.

“Beginning of high school. Anyway, they’re going to love you and that’s all there is to it,” the blond said, leaning over and kissing LuHan’s cheek when he opened his mouth to continue his worries. Said worries didn’t ease from his stomach, causing it to twist into a knot as he put the car in park in the driveway Sehun had pointed out, feeling sluggish as he shut the car off and stared up at the doorway. His attention flashed to Sehun when the younger’s fingers brushed against the back of his hand, and he let the other intertwine their fingers and give his hand a tight squeeze. “You can do this Hyung. They’re not scary,” the blond soothed and LuHan stiffly nodded before the pair exited the car.

“Sehun!” the woman who opened the front door exclaimed before pulling said male against herself in a tight embrace. “Welcome home,” she added, leaning back to look at his face, then she called over her shoulder, “Honey! Our baby’s home!” causing Sehun to playfully roll his eyes.

“Mom, I’m not a baby,” he stated and she looked back to him, placing a hand on his cheek.

“Of course you are sweetie. Goodness, it feels like ages since we saw you last,” Mrs. Oh continued, Sehun’s dad appearing behind her.

“Dad, tell mom that I saw you guys a month ago? I think she forgot,” the youngest teased, pulling a laugh from his dad, and a small giggle from LuHan, despite him trying to hide it.

“Come on, give him a little room to breathe,” Mr. Oh replied, his wife sparing him a glance before turning her focus to LuHan, who immediately stiffened.

“Well aren’t you just the cutest? I knew Sehun had good tastes, always told his dad that he did, didn’t I, hun?” she asked, stepping closer to LuHan. The male’s mind stuttered and he didn’t have the chance to react before he was pulled into a hug like Sehun had been, Mr. Oh’s hand reaching his shoulder to give it a firm squeeze before he was released from the embrace, his surprise clear on his face. “Oh dear, did I make you uncomfortable?” she asked, looking between the two as Sehun took a step closer to LuHan, who shook his head.

“N-no, it’s alright. It’s… nice. I just wasn’t expecting it is all,” LuHan said, Sehun’s hand finding his again, intertwining their fingers like he had earlier to try and help the older relax.

“Hyung doesn’t come from a touchy family is all. I think I forgot to mention to him that we’re pretty affectionate,” he explained, Mrs. Oh biting her lower lip and giving a single nod.

“Alright, let’s all come inside. Dinner will be ready soon,” Mr. Oh prompted, Sehun soothing his fingertips over the back of LuHan’s hand as they followed his parents inside.

“I never thought I would see someone who looked cuter with pink hair than Sehun did,” Mrs. Oh mused in a soft tone that seemed to have been meant for her husband, but the blush that tinted LuHan’s cheeks conferment to Sehun that they all had heard, and a smile quirked his lips.


“Are you going to the college for dance? Sehun told us that’s where the two of you met,” Mrs. Oh stated, LuHan giving the slight shake of his head.

“When we met I still wasn’t sure what I wanted to get my degree in. I was still taking classes for a general degree, and ended up in a class full of mostly first years that were going for dance degrees. I’ll be attending the college for another two years though, now that I’ve changed my major to music,” LuHan concluded, the pair across the table perking up.

“What inspired you to explore music as a career option?” Mr. Oh asked, LuHan’s eyes flickering to the blond beside him.

“Sehun did, actually,” he answered, the pair across the table glancing at said male. “I was part of our school’s choir, and was one of the few who were regularly selected for the performances throughout the year. Sehun actually came to my first time performing, back when we were on our way to becoming friends,” LuHan detailed, knowing that Sehun was pouting at him; he never had told Sehun that he knew the blond came to the performance for him. “He came to every practice of mine too, if I remember correctly, always trying to hide so I wouldn’t see,” LuHan teased, Sehun pulling his hand free from the older’s to give him a light nudge.

“I didn’t go to every practice!” He groaned, LuHan looping his arm around the blond’s neck and pulling him close with a laugh.

“Don’t play innocent, we both know I’m not lying,” he replied, the pair looking up at the cooed sound from across the table – LuHan expected it to have come from Mrs. Oh, but from the way she was nudging her husband (a habit Sehun seemed to have gotten from her) the sound seemed to have come from Mr. Oh.

“Leave them be~” she teased, Mr. Oh looking over at her as his lips curled into a smile.

“Don’t they remind you of us when we were first in love?”

“You weren’t half as cute as LuHan is when you were his age,” Mrs. Oh replied, sticking her tongue out at the other who simply kissed her cheek in response.

 

The chatter died down a little, and the four of them were just picking at the reinants on their plates when LuHan found himself looking around the dining room, eyes catching on a familiar photo; one he remembered Sehun putting up in the room after he had officially moved in.
 
“That’s right, you and Jongin are related, aren’t you?” He asked, pulling Sehun’s attention to the photo.
 
“Yeah, his mother and mine are sisters,” the blond replied.
 
“And we weren’t nearly as much of a handful as the two of you were,” Mrs. Oh teased, Sehun giving a playful roll of his eyes as LuHan turned his attention to her.
 
“Were they big trouble makers?”

“Oh you wouldn’t believe the things those two got in together when they were little. Going around trying to be the neighborhood heroes and ending up getting stuck in the same tree that they were trying to get a cat down from. Playing tricks like Jongin running up to me when I was making them lunch one day, and yelled that he couldn’t see his own eyes, pouring an entire bottle of chocolate sauce in Jongin’s father’s sock drawer, things like that. They were so attached to one another that it was actually strange for one to be seen without the other somewhere nearby. People found it unnatural for reasons that both us and the Kims never understood,” Mrs. Oh said, her smile falling a little as her attention shifted to Sehun who was looking down at his lap for the first time since they had arrived. “It broke my heart having to tell my baby boy what ‘’ was before the age of ten.” LuHan’s eyebrows knit together and he looked at each of the other’s faces as a silence fell over the table.

“I… don’t think I understand,” he said, Mrs. Oh seeming surprised.

“Did Sehun never tell you? He and Jongin were constantly harassed because no one thought that two people should be as close as they were without being… intimate.”

“Sick people, thinking such things about children,” Mr. Oh muttered in a dark tone that caught LuHan off guard. While it was appropriate, it was vastly different from the tone he had used the rest of the evening. Mrs. Oh looked to her husband and nodded, turning her attention back to Sehun and reaching out over the table, taking a hold of his hand.

“I won’t lie and say that his father and I found it the most usual thing, but what was important was that our darling son was happiest when he was with his cousin, and the last thing we were going to was try and tear them apart. Rumors started, and it got to the point that we considered pulling Sehun out of public school and homeschooling him.”

“We actually went down to the school to insist something be done about the treatment they had suffered, and when we returned home we found the two crying in Sehun’s room. When we had gotten them to calm down enough to ask what was wrong, Sehun told us that he felt drawn to Jongin in a way that his friends had explained being drawn to their crushes, and the two of them were terrified. But as they continued to explain details about how they felt we realized something,” Mr. Oh explained, Sehun finally raising his gaze from his lap. “We realized that our son and nephew were soul mates, and that was why they wanted to be so close to one another. Since they were still so young they didn’t understand many things, so when they had discovered that fact themselves they assumed that they were romantic soulmates – the very thing they had been ridiculed about for years.”

“You can only imagine the relief they felt when we told them that there were two different kinds of soul mates, and that they felt very similar until you took a closer look. And even grown adults confuse the two more often than not,” Mrs. Oh finished, Sehun giving her a small smile as he relaxed.

“LuHan, would you mind helping me with the dishes?” Mr. Oh asked, the pink haired male’s attention snapping to him before he nodded. They cleared the table, Mrs. Oh thanking the two of them as they did, and he followed the older into the kitchen. “Do you prefer drying and putting them away, or scrubbing them?” Mr. Oh asked, LuHan looking around.

“I don’t think I would know where to put them, so I should probably stick to scrubbing,” he admitted, Mr. Oh giving a nod and opening one of the drawers to pull out a towel to dry the dishes. They fell into a silence that LuHan was surprised didn’t put him on edge; actually it wasn’t until the older spoke again that his stomach jumped.

“Sehun’s never been the type to hide anything. We’ve been wanting to meet you for a while now, it’s surprising that you two have been together for just over a year and we’re only now meeting you.” LuHan looked over at him as he offered a clean plate to him.

“We… there was a bunch of drama with some of our friends, and we wanted to be there for them… and before that happened, we were both busy with school and work,” he explained, earning a nod.

“He dealt with a lot of bullying when he was younger, firstly for how close he and Jongin were, then later for not wanting to have with any of the girls he dated. Eventually he was labled as being gay and that was just another thing that was used against him, even when he would try to explain that he thought girls were just as attractive as guys… I remember him coming to me upset because no one would listen to him explain that fact and he didn’t understand. But after that he stopped trying to explain himself, didn’t try to hide his feelings for anyone no matter what people said… He decided that if people were just going to make fun of him either way and make no effort to understand, there was no point in trying to fit in.” LuHan’s hands slowed to a stop on the pan he had been scrubbing, feeling his chest tighten.

“You better take care of him and be proud of him, because he’s damn proud of you.” LuHan stared at the other, wide eyed. “Do you understand me? Never act like you’re afraid or ashamed to be with him. Walk down the street holding his hand with your head held high, because people deserve someone who’s willing to win wars to be with them.” Mr. Oh asked, LuHan giving a stiff nod in response. “Good. As long as you cherish him, we won’t have any trouble.”

“Dad, are you two done yet? LuHan has work early in the morning so we should be heading out soon,” Sehun called, pausing in the doorway of the kitchen when LuHan turned back to the sink, missing the younger’s cautious frown.

“I think we can call it quits. Your mom and I can finish after you two head out,” Mr. Oh stated, offering the towel to LuHan to dry his hands off. The pink haired male did so slowly while the eldest made his way from the room, pulling away a little when Sehun placed a hand on his back.

“Hyung, are you alight?”

“Y-yeah, just tired,” LuHan said, setting the towel on the counter as he allowed the younger to lead him away from the kitchen sink.

“Text me and let us know when you get home,” Mrs. Oh said, pulling LuHan into a light hug before moving on to hug Sehun while Mr. Oh shook LuHan’s hand and squeezed his shoulder. “You two stay safe, and stay safe,” she added while holding Sehun’s face, causing the blond’s cheeks to darken.

“Mooooom,” he whined, as she giggled, letting him go. Mr. Oh ruffled his hair before the pair made their way back to the car, waiting until it was out of sight before they went back inside the house.

 

“Hyung, seriously, what’s wrong? You’ve been really quiet since we got home, and you didn’t really talk a lot at dinner.”

“I was just enjoying watching you and your parents playfully banter. I… Never really got that growing up,” LuHan replied, rolling his shoulder as a way to fidget.

“Which reminds me, you don’t really talk about your parents much. I also don’t remember any time that you’ve said you were going to visit them, like on holiday breaks. Do they live here?” Sehun asked, sitting on the edge of the bed, LuHan sighing and dropping himself beside the younger.

“No, they still live in China. They weren’t really… all that happy about my decision to attend school here, let alone become a resident instead of a transfer student like Yifan or ZiTao. If they heard about how long I was taking to graduate I’m sure they would scold me… And if they found out that I’m now choosing to pursue music of all things, I’d never hear the end of it.” Sehun’s face scrunched up a little, though LuHan’s focus was on his lap so he didn’t notice.

“What did they want you to be?”

“A businessman. More specifically an accountant because they thought that would give me enough money to have a nice house and a pretty wife with a bunch of grandchildren for them. When I tried to tell them I didn’t think I wanted that, they tried to brush me off. Then when I told them I had applied to the school here and gotten accepted, they were furious.”

“Don’t they want you to be happy? That’s what matters the most.”

“I really wish it was that easy with them,” LuHan said, closing his eyes and flopping back on the bed.

“Is that why you never talked about them?” The older pulled his lower lip between is teeth, giving a small nod.

“I worried that you would ask to meet them, and I… I knew that wouldn’t go well. If they wouldn’t accept me wanting something more than a desk job and a wife to come home to, the chance of them accepting the fact that I’m with a guy…” He swallowed hard, turning his head away from Sehun when the blond laid beside him. “I’m not ashamed of us, I promise.”

“I-what? Who said you were ashamed?”

“Not wanting to take you to meet my parents, them not even knowing that you exist let alone how important you are to me… That sounds a lot like I’m ashamed of you, don’t you think?” LuHan asked, daring a glance at the other. Sehun offered as much of a shrug as he could, then snuggled close to the other.

“Hyung, I don’t think you’re ashamed of me at all. These people- your parents, their opinion doesn’t seem to matter all that much to you. Now if it was Minseok-Hyung that you hid me from, I might be a little hurt.”

“Minseok?” LuHan echoed, Sehun offering a nod. “Why would that…”

“Because he’s your platonic soulmate, and you two care for each other a lot. Our biggest fight was over him being hurt, so I know how much his feelings matter to you. So if for some reason you were scared of how he would react to you being with me, if you thought he wouldn’t accept me and that made you keep me a secret for him, that would hurt,” Sehun explained. “Since you care more for his opinion than your parents, I don’t care that I don’t know them, and probably never will. It doesn’t matter to me. I don’t care if they love or hate me, because I know what your feelings are towards me and that’s what is truly important,” he soothed. LuHan rolled onto his side to face the blond, pressing his face into the side of Sehun’s neck, the younger shifting a little to wrap his arms around LuHan, pulling him close and running his fingers through the other’s pink hair.

“It’s just… the last thing I want to do is make it seem like I’m hiding you, even though that’s exactly what I’m doing. I’m just… scared. Really scared of how they’ll react. I know that I live on my own, so it’s not like they can kick me out, and the worst they could do is disown me… I rarely talk to them anymore, which should make how they react matter even less but I…” His voice cracked a little, Sehun easing his hold on him long enough to kiss his forehead before he held him even tighter. “The thought of someone not accepting someone you love, or rejecting you in some way because of who you love… Sometimes I want to call them and just tell them, but it twists my stomach up so badly that it makes me sick and I can’t bring myself to do it… And I’m sorry… I’m so sorry that I’m a coward about-”

“Hey, don’t.” LuHan flinched a little at the firmness of the other’s tone, becoming aware of the sting of tears in his eyes. “You don’t have to talk about yourself in such a horrible manner. I don’t think that you’re ashamed of me or trying to hide me. If you want to tell them then tell them, but that’s something I only want you to do if you want to do it,” Sehun insisted. “Okay?” LuHan swallowed hard, pressing his face harder against the younger’s neck.

“Will you hate me if I never tell them?”

“Hyung, there’s no way I’m going to hate you. Just because it’s not something I hide doesn’t mean I’m going to force you to do the same, that wouldn’t be fair.” LuHan seemed to finally relax against the other, pulling a frown over Sehun’s lips. “Were you really worried that I would hate you over this?”

“… A little,” LuHan admitted softly, Sehun shifting a little to kiss the side of the older’s head.

“You should never do something you don’t want to do. Remember that, Hyung.”

 

“Oh my god,” Sehun groaned, his hands coming up to cover his face. It had been a couple of days since they had gone to visit his parents, and the last thing he had expected to receive was an email from his mother. Let alone for that email to contain a video of…

“What?” LuHan asked, making his way to stand behind the other, peering over his shoulder at the title of the video. ‘Top 10 yoga poses that ease lower back pain’, the pink haired male’s eyes traveling to the body of the email where a caption of few words was left. ‘Just in case ;)’ He felt his own ears start to burn, watching Sehun pull out his mobile and select his message line with his mother, demanding to know why she was sending him such things. He reached into his pocket, pulling out his own mobile, biting his lower lip before he turned and made his way to their room, holding the device to his ear as it started to ring.

“Hey, Mama? Is Baba there? There’s something I want to tell you two.”