Problem Solved

Paws The Music!

Loila’s POV

“I came for Cloud, my toy cat.”

“Sure you did.” Rod handed Cloud to me and I hugged it, it had only been a day but it started to pick up his scent, expensive cologne and smoke. Not cigarette smoke, the type of smoke from posh home fireplaces, which could be seen in the corner of the room. “I know you came to see Brian. Sadly, he just went out.”

“I see…”

“He’ll be back soon; his work just called him in for a quick meeting.”

“He still works?”

“Of course, he won’t be living here forever. He works with Mother, he only cleans the dishes. I don’t like getting my hands wet.”

“Even Dad knew about my Grandma? Why doesn’t anyone tell me anything?”

“I’m telling you know.” Rod yawned, although it was still light outside. “He should be back any minute. You’re welcome to wait.” I didn’t really want to sit alone with Uncle Rod since the restaurant. Something seemed off about him and I didn’t know what. When I asked Bae about it, he said that I was probably scared at how friendly he was, which was probably true.

 

 I had just touched the doorknob when someone from the outside turned it as well. I yelped and jumped backwards. “Hey Rod, you’ll never guess what- Hello?”

“Hi.” I stared at the floor, not wanting to be seen. I can’t remember what my Dad had looked like the last time I saw him but this was defiantly not it. He was thin, like Rod, and has a clean shaven face, which I had never seen. His hair was messy but still looked styled and he was wearing some of Rod’s clothes, they looked too expensive for Dad to wear.

“Is Rod around?”  I didn’t answer.

“I’m in here!” Rod came out skipping then skidded to a halt. “I- uh- need to see Mother. I’ll be back before dinner!” He almost sprinted out the door, leaving Dad and I alone. Rod was too nice.

“Long time no see Dad.” I looked up and gave a little smile.

 

“What are you doing here?” The same tone he used last time. Maybe Rod lied to make me feel better.

“I came to get my bear.” I held up Cloud. The little bell on Kimchi’s collar rang. I had taken it off my wrist and put it around Cloud’s neck when Rod handed it back. Dae used to tease me because it was Thunder’s toy cat and a dog’s collar that was on it, she thought I was trying to be fair to both boys, which was partially true. I swear I could see Dad give a hint of a smile then he turned hard again, all traces of familiarity gone.

“You still wear his collar? Death is a part of life and it happened ages ago, accept that.” I fondled Kimchi’s bell and closed my eyes, I was here to apologise, not create more drama. Deep down I had accepted that Kimchi was dead, but I was afraid I would forget him if I didn’t kept his collar safe. Death was something that happened on TV and in books, not something that happened to me, a normal person. My eyes were starting to water and I rubbed them aggressively, not wanting to show weakness.

“Just because he’s dead doesn’t mean we can forget him. And yes, he was a dog, but he meant a lot to me. He was my first pet and one of the only presents I treasured from you. Ever since you left Mum you’ve become a different person. You’re always saying I’m the one changing and that I should be more successful, and that may be true, but I’m always going to be changing and if it makes me happy, who cares? It’s better than changing into a monster…” For once, I actually wasn’t angry at my Dad, I was expressing myself. He probably wouldn’t have realised otherwise. “I’ve accepted that you are embarrassed of me. And finally, I realised that it doesn’t matter what you think of me. I’m going to be a chef, whether you like it or not because that’s what makes me happy.” I smiled, I felt like I could conquer anything.

“You sound so much like someone I used to know…” He turned away from me and sniffled. It sounded like he was crying, which couldn’t be right, I had never seen my Dad cry. “I’m not embarrassed of you. I could never be embarrassed of you. You are successful, in everything you do, you do it with a smile on your face and if it gets hard, you get up and brush yourself off. It’s an admirable trait to have.”

“Dad…”

“I’m surprised you still call me that, I don’t really deserve it. Kate never liked working in an office, she loved cooking too much. She wanted to open a little cake shop but we didn’t have enough money. I grabbed whatever job I could, it had bad hours but it paid well. I was going to get her the money to buy that cake shop, but I had to move to Korea.”

“Why did you break up though?” My voice was quiet but strong.

“I thought Kate would have started working on her own if I left, I felt selfish if I just asked her to start working. I was going to give her another wedding when I came back to Australia, but it never happened. It never happened…” Even though his face was turned, I could see the tears flowing heavily down his face. “Rod is more like your father, I started working and before I knew it, my little girl was off, living on her own and working for herself. I miss my little girl.”

“Uncle Rod told me about when you were younger.” I was swaying on my feet slightly.

“I couldn’t bear to tell you myself…”

“Uncle said you didn’t know.” Dad couldn’t meet my eyes but I kept staring.

“I know everything. I can’t be forgiven for what I did, I should have known he liked her. I’m trying to make it up to him.” Then Dad did something that I never expected, he bowed. I was so taken aback that I literally took a step backwards.

“Dad, I’m sorry.” He bowed even lower, which I took as an apology too. “Dad, I can’t ask to move back into your house-”

“It was our house.” He corrected as he stood up and gave me a bear hug. I couldn’t hold it any longer, I sobbed like I was a little kid again.

“We can’t move back into our house.” I restated. “So can I move back to Australia? Uncle Rod wants me to work for him and cooking is really important to me.”

“You’re so like your mother, it freaks me out.” He stretched his head back and examined my face. “No, you’re definitely you.” I smiled genuinely. I had forgotten what it was like to hug a family member.

“Can I go to Australia?” Cloud and I pleaded.

“I thought you never wanted to go back.”

“I guess something changed my mind.” I thought of Mir, if he didn’t like my cooking, then I wouldn’t cook in Korea.

“You can go on one condition… I come with you.”

“I’d like that. If you come, I have no other reason to stay.” I squealed. The Robinsons were going back to Australia.