01: The Beginning

Mission: Impossible

Byun Baekhyun is late for school. Again.

 

When he woke up this morning, his alarm clock had apparently ran out of battery. Which was really ing weird considering the fact that he just changed them a month ago. Weren't batteries supposed to last longer than that? Baekhyun heaves out a sigh and makes a mental note to buy a pack of batteries after school.

 

He grabs his school jacket and his backpack and starts heading downstairs, not bothering to take his breakfast first. "Mooooom," He called, "I'm going to school now,"

 

When silence greets him, Baekhyun knew he was alone in the house. His mom must've went to work early in the morning. That's how single mothers are, Baekhyun decides. His father died when he was young; or at least that's what his mother had always told him. Baekhyun never once saw a photo of his father, which was odd considering the amount of pictures his mom took when he was a baby. He remembers pestering his mom every now and then to show him his father's face when he was a kid. Because all the kids had dads, why don't he? He know he had one, but he just doesn't know how his supposed father looked like. Does he have a mustache? Is he skinny or just a lump of fat? Baekhyun was dying to know. But as he grow older, he stopped caring. Not because he's not curious anymore—which he still is up to this day—it’s just that he knows that it's something his mom would avoid every single time.

 

So living in a house with no dad, no siblings, and a busy mother, Baekhyun had gotten used to the word loneliness. Sure he had video games, his phone, anything to keep him company but it's just different when he actually have company. Even though so, Baekhyun was fast in developing social skills. When he was in middle school, almost all of the people in the school knows him. Probably because he was such a social butterfly at a young age, in contrast to other kids in his school. Baekhyun didn't care when people starts nagging at him for being too loud or too talkative. It's just part of who he is. He would always tell himself that it’s okay to talk too much, it’s not like he has anyone to talk to when he gets back home. Other than the exchange words of ‘goodnight’s and ‘have you eaten’ with his mother, there weren’t much to say in the lonely household.

 

When middle school is almost over, Baekhyun learns that people tend to come and go. It's not a weird thing though, because everyone in this world had been through this, right? The only question that keeps appearing in his head was why? Sure, he's loud and he talks too much, but Baekhyun's not a bully or anything opposite to nice. He'd offer them the cake his mother baked, or let them borrow his favourite books. Even if it's upsetting, Baekhyun doesn't let it get the best of him. 

 

When he got into high school, Baekhyun finally learns how fake people could be. Some of his friends that he considered actual friends back in middle school, doesn’t even bother to come up to him or greet him. He was hurt, and them looking at him like he was a complete stranger only rubbed more salt onto his wound. For a couple of weeks, Baekhyun would isolate himself from socializing with other people. He learns that no matter how hard he tries to blend in and make friends, they would always end up leaving him and stabbing him from the back.

 

Until that one day come, Baekhyun thinks that if Sehun had never come into the store and talked to him, he would never be the person he truly is.

 

The door to the convenience store rings every time someone steps a foot inside. Usually, Baekhyun wouldn’t pay attention to his customer unless they needed help finding something, or if they wanted to pay for their stuff. But on that day, something just elicits inside of him and he snaps his head towards the door. A tall, lanky customer walks in. He looks about Baekhyun’s age, probably younger and there was something about him that oozes a boyish aura. The boy took a basket—Baekhyun idly wondered if he was going to buy a lot of things—and goes through section by section. He sighs and goes back to his comic.

 

Baekhyun loses track of time every time he reads. He only tears his eyes from his comic when he hears a cough. The first thing his eyes saw once they diverted, was soft brown eyes, pink lips; a handsome face. Oh, dear God.

 

"Baekhyun," The customer said, which caught Baekhyun off-guard. "That's your name right?"

 

"How did you...," Baekhyun trails off when he remembers he was wearing his employee name tag. "Aha, yeah," He forced out a laugh. What does this guy want? He inwardly groans.

 

"Don't you know me?" The customer pouts as he points at himself. 

Baekhyun raises an eyebrow. "Do... I?" He tries to remember all his friends from middle school till kindergarten but the latter's face was far from familiar. 

 

The taller smiles. "It's okay, I'm Oh Sehun. We go to the same high school,"

 

"Oh," Baekhyun responds stupidly. "Well, okay..." He continues to awkwardly scan Sehun's stuffs. He mentally curses—Sehun, specifically—because there was a whole dang lot of junk food and beverages for just one person, and he didn’t want Sehun to stick here any longer.

 

"Soooooo," Sehun sing-songs, stuffing his hands inside his pockets. Baekhyun decides that Sehun is a really, really annoying person. With a pretty face. "I'm throwing a party on Friday,"

 

Baekhyun hums instead of saying so?

 

"And you're invited?" Sehun tries to sound glee about the idea and points pistol fingers just to add to the effect, but his attempt had failed miserably because somehow his voice pitched a little too high at the end of his sentence and now it looks like he’s asking instead of inviting.

 

Baekhyun's eyebrows creases because what the hell? "Excuse me? Why am I invited? You just met me like 5 minutes ago!" Baekhyun tries to keep his voice low, afraid that his boss would think he was being rude to his customer.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes, but the corner of his lips were tugging upwards just the slightest and Baekhyun swears he feels like swatting the life out of this brat.

 

“Technically, I’ve known you since you first step foot inside high school so that doesn’t count,” Sehun reasons. “Besides, it’s going to be lots of fun.”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "I don't even know you. Or anyone who goes to your party. How am I supposed to survive there?"

 

"It's just a couple more day to Friday," Sehun grins. “And don’t worry, I’m not going to force you to come. Not like I have the authority to do anything about it anyways. It’s an invitation, Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun thinks Sehun’s presence is driving him up the wall because then he sees Sehun’s eyes soften and so does his smile. “I’m not sure why but I always notice you alone everywhere you go. I’m not one to make implications, but if I were to make one, it seems like you’re always pushing everybody away. I’m a nobody to you now, but someday, I want to be your friend,” Sehun’s words flowed out easily and full of sincerity, and the faint pink that’s colouring his cheeks and ears—probably due to being shy or the freezing room temperature, Baekhyun doesn’t know—makes he seem more like an innocent child trying to make his first friend.

 

"But I don't need friends," Baekhyun says, putting Sehun's stuffs into plastic bags, his demons only seem to scream louder inside his head. “They just waltz into your life and walks out whenever they please. I hate that. I hate it because I’m not sure whose fault it came to this,”

 

There was a moment of silence and for that one moment, Baekhyun was grateful because he didn’t want the conversation to continue any further.

 

"You're wrong," Sehun says softly. "My friends aren't like that,"

 

"All friends are the same, Sehun,"

 

"Yeah? Well, let me prove you wrong,"

 

"Okay, ten bucks on whoever is right,"

 

Sehun looks taken aback. "You're actually betting on this?"

 

"Yeah, what's there to lose anyways?" Baekhyun says confidently.

 

"Deal," Sehun says, pressing his lips into a thin line. His eyes seem to burn with the same amount of confidence Baekhyun has.

 

"Deal," Baekhyun says, pushing Sehun's stuffs towards him softly. "That'll be $49.60.”

 

Sehun smiles, fishing out his wallet from his pocket. When he finished paying, Baekhyun was caught off-guard again when Sehun suddenly says, "I don't know what happened in your past, and you're right about me knowing so little about you. I'm not going to ask because I don't think it's my place to ask such things. But Baekhyun, people aren't always the same. There are good ones and there are bad ones. You just have to trust your heart,"

 

 

✩°。⋆⸜(ू˙꒳​˙ )

 

 

Baekhyun grumbles when he comes to school the next day. Not because he had woke up from the wrong side of the bed, or he had a terrible stomach ache from eating too much ramyun last night. Today was it. The day Sehun would bring his so-called friends to meet with Baekhyun. Baekhyun huffs out a long sigh. Sehun probably won't even meet him today. Yesterday was total horse, Baekhyun tells himself. Sehun is just another kid with full of . Friends my .

 

"God damn it Oh Sehun, if you're such a then why'd you even bet on silly things?" Baekhyun says to himself as he kicks a pebble. He turns on his heels, ready to flee away from the promised setting.

 

"Baekhyun!" He hears a familiar voice just when he foot had started walking.

 

When Baekhyun turns around, he would've swear in the name of his video games and comic books that he heard the Angels above sing in the sweetest falsetto when Sehun actually brought a couple of good-looking tall friends with him. For a second, Baekhyun gave him a stink eye because is this a trap? Oh God, it feels like a trap. What if he’s just using handsome tall guys so that Baekhyun would succumb to being friends with all these gorgeous people? He inwardly snorts. There’s no possible way that Baekhyun would do that because gaining a friend means gaining his trust, and gaining his trust is a not-to-be-ed-with issue. But all those thoughts seems to be thrown out the window the moment they reached closer.

 

"Sorry I'm late, the coach called us before I could even get to you," Sehun probably doesn't mean to sound like he actually care about meeting Baekhyun more than he cares about his coach, but it made Baekhyun feel jittery on the inside. He appreciates the thought.

 

"Coach? What did you do? Gym class?" Baekhyun asks.

 

"Oh, no, no," The tallest guy said, too tall that Baekhyun had to tilt his head upwards like he's looking at a really tall monument. "We're on the basketball team," He clings his long arms on Sehun and his other friend's neck.

 

Baekhyun smiles softly as he looks at Sehun, "Basketball, huh?"

 

"Uh, no... Actually," Sehun shoves the tall guy's arms away. “I’m quitting and planning on joining soccer,”

 

The tall guy widen his eyes and gasps loudly like Sehun had betrayed him big time. "Not for ing real?"

 

"Yeah, I am. Now quit being such a baby. You guys would do fine without me anyways," Sehun rolls his eyes.

 

Baekhyun raise his eyebrows. "Okay... But why so suddenly...?"

 

"Because," Sehun starts before hesitating a little. "I'm getting tired of basketball. Just, you know, wanting to try something new,"

 

Baekhyun decides to shrug it off. It’s not like he had to do with whatever Sehun wants to do. He’s not a little bit interested, not even by the size of a micro. Nope. Noooo.

 

"Oh, yeah!" The tall guy suddenly claps his hand as if he forgot something. "I'm Park Chanyeol by the way! I'm from class 1-B. Heard you're from class A?"

 

Baekhyun nods his head awkwardly. "Yeah, I am,"

 

"Wow! Smart kid you got here, Sehun. Well, you already know I'm from the basketball team and there's nothing much to know about me," Chanyeol grins gleefully at Baekhyun that had Baekhyun smiling just as huge back at him. Chanyeol nudges the other friend who appeared to have a darker but still toned skin, gesturing him to introduce himself.

 

"Ah, yeah. I'm Jongin," Jongin scratches the back of his head like he had nothing more to say. "I'm from the same class as this douchepants," He points at Chanyeol, making Chanyeol glare at him sharply. "And yeah, I don't know. What about you? Baekhyun, right?"

 

"Yeah," Baekhyun says, looking at Sehun for some sort of confirmation or permission for only God knows why. When he noticed that Sehun was smiling whilst looking at him, Baekhyun had the confident to go on. "I'm Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun. Single child living in a big house, so if the four of us turned out good, you guys are always invited for some chocolate pie and video games. I don't think I need to say much considering how most of you heard tons about me by rumours. But I swear to God, all the bad ones are the make-believe ones,"

 

"Wow," Chanyeol gapes, a hand over his mouth. "As expected, Byun Baekhyun," 

 

Baekhyun blushes at that, and he felt somehow happy at the recognition. He flashes the trio a peace sign before breaking into a huge grin.

 

“Well, it’s recess now. Do you want to come with us to lunch?”

 

"Okay," Jongin said and Chanyeol continued, "Come on. Baekhyun, we have a lot to discuss about. Ever heard of the game Dark Souls? Please tell me you have, because if you haven’t then I seriously have no idea what to do with your donkey balls- life—"

 

Baekhyun widens his eyes. “Are you kidding? That’s like one of the best things that has ever happened in this century!”

 

And that was pretty much how he met his actual current friends. Turns out Chanyeol had a massive crush on video games as much as he does, and Jongin would be the quiet one unless they were ordering food at a restaurant. As for Sehun, well…Sehun is Sehun. He can be quiet like Jongin at times, but times when he’s loud and full of mischief, they would always end up larking around. And Baekhyun wasn’t one to complain. He actually liked hanging out with them.

 

They had always been open about their problems; relying on each other as well as seeking comfort and advice. But Sehun had been a little different. Not that he was always the odd, but it was something Baekhyun had only started to notice. If there was anything bugging him, he sure didn’t tell anyone.

 

Until summer break ends, Sehun finally had the guts to tell Baekhyun what's been bugging him for so long.

 

“Wait, what?” Baekhyun’s voice boomed over the line.

 

“…I really don’t want to repeat my sentence and I’m sure you heard me clearly. So please don’t act like it’s a—”

 

“Wait, hold up. Hold the up. You like someone? Where did this come from? Wait, you actually have feelings? Like human emotions, not cyborg feelings and . Oh my God. Oh dear heaven.” Baekhyun felt flabbergasted, but it lasted only for a while before it was tinged with betrayed. “Wait, I’m not the last to know, right? Why do I feel like I’m the last to know? Holy , you told Jongin first didn’t you? You did!”

 

"Jesus, Baekhyun, slow down! You're hurting my precious ear!"

 

"But you're hurting my precious heart," Baekhyun pouts. “So, who is this person you’re into? You’re bi, right? Whoever this is, he must be cute. Or at least hot.”

 

Baekhyun can hear Sehun sighing on the other side of the line. "Yes, I'm bi. It’s a he, and to your delight and much more to mine, he’s both cute and hot."

 

"Okay...? Who is this person! Come on, spit it out!"

 

"It's...," Sehun hesitated a bit. "Do you know...Luhan?"

 

Baekhyun almost choked on his own saliva. "Sehun, what the ?"

 

"What do you mean 'what the '?" Sehun sounds annoyed. “Be a decent friend and not judge who I like just because my personal preference doesn’t suit yours,”

 

Baekhyun laughs shortly, the kind of laugh he does when he’s embarrassed or when he’s being super mischievous. “I’m not saying he’s a bad choice. He’s cute and hot, I admit that. He’s just… too cute and hot. No offense, really, my bad for even bringing this up in the first place. Sehun, he looks like a —wait, hold it! I mean, are you even sure? I’ve heard a lot of cases where he sleeps around just because he wants to,”

 

Sehun rolls his eyes exasperatedly. “Just because he looks like a , doesn’t make him one. He’s nice, he has a great personality and he has a sweet . Who doesn’t love sweet asses?”

 

"Ugh," Baekhyun fakes a vomit. "You love them, and you're pining for one right now," He sighs before continuing, "But I guess I can't blame you for liking him. Luhan's a really nice guy. He helped me out in Calculus class last time,"

 

Baekhyun hears Sehun hums on the other side of the phone.

 

“Hey, Sehun,”

 

"Yeah?"

 

"I'll help you own that ,"

 

And that was how Baekhyun's life mission started.

 

 

✩°。⋆⸜(ू˙꒳​˙ )

 

 

(a/n: present time)

 

"Hey," a hand pulled Baekhyun's arm. "You're late," 

 

Baekhyun pulls a face to retort, because there is no ing way some prefect-on-duty dude is going to ruin his morning and tell him he’s late. He spun on his heels, ready to beat the living lights out of the said boy but he immediately feels himself soften up when he was welcomed by a familiar face.

 

"Hey," Baekhyun says, surprised at how soft his voice sounds. Sehun lets go of Baekhyun's arm to walk beside him, bumping on his shoulder a little bit. "My alarm clock broke," Baekhyun says. Not that it was a lie, it was partly true. The alarm clock was old and he's had it since fourth grade. There were times when the clock didn't function even when he had replaced the batteries. He really needed to buy a new clock.

 

"Really? I texted you for like, a thousand times this morning," Sehun raised an eyebrow.

 

Baekyun shrugs. "I didn't checked my phone since last night till…now, actually," 

 

"Well, you better," Sehun shoves his hands in his pockets. "As of today, I'll be your alarm clock," He gives Baekhyun the cheesiest smile Baekhyun had ever seen. Oh Lord, the shivers.

 

"No thanks," Baekhyun said quickly, waving dismissively at Sehun's face. "I have a smartphone that can wake me up better than you do," Baekhyun stuck out his tongue. He hears Sehun laugh softly and muttering somewhere along the line you have a smartphone, but you still use an old alarm clock.

 

"You guys!" A deep voice echoes through the hallway, making Baekhyun and Sehun turn their head simultaneously.

 

“Oh, hey—” Baekhyun was interrupted when Chanyeol decides to give him and Sehun a bone-crushing hug. "—Chanyeol,"

 

"I missed you guys!" Chanyeol said as he let go of the duo, grin stretching from ear to ear. "Japan wasn't fun without you guys around," he pouts, his ears red from the cold. "I thought that it'd be a fun, cool trip, but guess what? My sister keeps ordering me around like I'm her slave," Chanyeol groans.

 

Sehun laughs. "Then, maybe you should've taken us with you." he smiles suggestively while wriggling his eyebrows.

 

"If I'm that rich, then, yeah," Chanyeol said, the words came out more like a promise than a statement.

 

"Alright you both, let's go to class." Baekhyun pulls Sehun and Chanyeol's arms and interlocks them with his. "I'm already late and I don't want Miss Kim's annoying voice blasting at my face early in the morning,"  

 

Chanyeol pulls a face. "She always does that. I think she's just drowning in caffeine," He swirls his index finger near his head. "Turns her into a psych,"

 

"I don't think it's the caffeine," Sehun says, putting up his hand as a sign of disagreement. "I think she's just a very, very, old lady," 

 

Baekhyun eyes the two towers, his thought was am I friends with six year olds?  "Either way, she's still the old lady with too much caffeine who's going to scream at my face if I'm late for her class,"

 

Sehun and Chanyeol looks at each other and laughs. "You're already late, Baek," Chanyeol says.

 

"It doesn't matter," Baekhyun huffs. "Now can we go?" Baekhyun pleads, and receives sympathy smiles from the taller guys.

 

Walking Baekhyun to class was probably the weirdest most neutral thing Chanyeol and Sehun had ever done. But they've done it since day-1, and their class was just down the hall anyways, so why the hell not?

 

"Okay, see you guys later," Baekhyun says.

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath, maybe crossed his finger a bit, before stepping into class. When Chanyeol and Sehun heard the familiar loud voice that belongs to you-know-who, both of them snickered and hurried themselves to class.

 

 

-✩°。⋆⸜(ू˙꒳​˙ )-

 

 

a/n: so i had to come back and re-edit everything bc my writing is so ty oh my god. there's at least around 600 words added and less embarrassing cringeworthy words. (read: less) chapter 2 will be edited on some other days and chapter 3 will be updated ;-;

 

word count: 3, 645.