Time

Broken Mirrors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next three weeks flew by with passing colors. Jemma swiftly returned to her work schedule, too busy to deal with anything that wasn’t related to the Super Island Adventures shooting. And somehow in the midst of all this, her attitude towards the boys had taken a considerable turn for the better – she suddenly didn’t see them as obstacles anymore, yet they weren’t her friends either. Her interactions with Ryeowook were kept to a minimum – and it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he had somehow figured her out so well, she constantly reminded herself – as she spent hours upon hours finishing up the paperwork she had taken off Kwanghyung’s hands. The small office that had been provided for her use in that period was just big enough to fit a large desk, but thankfully there was a coffee machine just outside the door, providing Jemma with the much needed caffeine. She stayed up late every night for those three weeks, going over every single detail, then driving home – sometimes picking up one member or another along the way – and going straight to bed. 

She kept telling herself she will call her mother, but even the young manager knew that this was a lie. The courage required to pick up the receiver and dial the number that had been etched into her mind from a very young age was more than she could muster up at the moment…or ever. 

Ryeowook didn’t mention the conversation they had had over dinner either, but there was a small spark in his eyes every time their gazes met. Kangin’s words still echoed in Jemma’s head, always nudging and poking at the back of her mind, but thanks to the hectic work hours, she hardly had time to think about them. And even when she laid in bed at night, waiting for the sleep to finally take over her, she still didn’t understand what the older man had meant. Had she missed something, she wondered, sitting up in bed and rubbing her forehead. Could it be that he saw something in her that she had missed? She knew herself well, yet doubts kept wrecking her mind for hours at times, until eventually passing out and waking up just a few short hours later to a murderous headache.

Why was she even letting those simple words get to her so much? 

The answer was simple: She didn’t know.

Those three weeks felt like a small eternity to Jemma.

 

The day they were supposed to leave for Jeju Island turned out to be a clear one. The young manager woke up before her alarm feeling a huge weight on her shoulders. The officetel was eerily quiet – even more than usual. She got out of bed and threw on a pair of jogging pants and a sweater, heading towards the elevator. Instead of going down however, she pressed the top button and found herself before a small staircase leading towards the rooftop. She used to love watching the sunrise above New York City and kept promising herself that one day she will also see the sun come up in Seoul. No better time than now, she thought, stretching her arms above her head.

“Well, you look like crap,” a voice sounded through the quietness of the morning. Jemma looked at the direction it came from and was surprised to see Ryeowook sitting on the railing wrapped in a blanket.

“I could say the same thing about you,” she walked towards him, carefully sitting down. 

“I’m not the one with dark…no, scratch that, purple circles under my eyes,” he chuckled and offered her a part of the blanket. She shook her head, instead wrapping her arms around herself.

Ryeowook rolled his eyes, chuckling again, “And I thought I was stubborn,” he said, throwing an arm around her. She tried scooting away, but he held her tight, making sure she was tightly wrapped and in no danger of freezing.

Jemma Ling was not enjoying this. Jemma Ling did not like touchy-feely things. Jemma Ling…

Something big and black flew just before her line of sight and Jemma shrieked, involuntarily burying her face against Ryeowook’s neck, drawing the blanket over her head. She felt his body vibrate with laughter and dared to peak out from under her hideout

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter