The Dark of the Matinée

Broken Mirrors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jemma didn’t remember going to bed that night, however she woke up tucked under her warm blankets. There was something unusual about the morning and suddenly the events of last night came back to her in a rush, knocking the air out of her lungs. She shot up in bed, Ryeowook’s words ringing clearly in her ears, the accusations stinging. Hastily looking around for her alarm, she didn’t find it in its usual place on the nightstand, a million more questions popping into her mind. Her phone was also nowhere to be seen, and she padded barefoot down the stairs to look for the device. She was late, she must have been late, and she was never late for work, no matter what happened.

What she didn’t expect to find on the first floor of the officetel however, was a man sprawled on the couch, quietly snoring. She stared at him for a second, before spotting her alarm and mobile phone on the coffee table before him. With a relieved sigh, she realized it was only 7 o’clock, and she didn’t have to drive the boys anywhere before ten.

The noise however was enough to awaken the sleeping boy, and he groggily opened his eyes, looking for the source.

“What are you doing in my apartment?” Jemma asked, moving towards the kitchen to turn on her coffee machine that was, much to her dismay, not prepared. Someone had taken every precaution to make sure she wouldn’t wake up early the next day and she suddenly wondered why anyone would do something like that? Work was more important than personal problems and people in the entertainment industry knew that better than anyone else.

“Good morning,” Kangin sleepily said, getting up from the couch and cracking his back. Great, Jemma thought, pouring coffee powder into the machine, now I have an idol with back problems on my hands, just because he decided to have a spontaneous uninvited sleepover at my place.

“You still didn’t answer my question,” she enquired, preparing two mugs, “Milk and sugar?”

“None please,” he yawned. Usually Jemma wouldn’t offer him coffee, instead kick him out immediately, but given the uncertain circumstances of what had happened last night – and she hated uncertainty – she needed some answers before sending him home, “I got the password for the apartment from Myungsoo last night and came up to check whether you were okay…and you clearly weren’t,” he finally said, rolling his shoulders to relieve the tension built there from the uncomfortable sleeping position, “I found you slumped by the door and took you to bed…” he added with uncertainty.

“Why would you do that?”

“You were clearly upset at what Ryeowook said – and I just want to tell you that he really didn’t mean it – and I was worried,” Kangin took the cup off her hands and set it on the table, “After what happened in the staircase yesterday…”

“Nothing happened in the staircase, Youngwoon-ssi, I told you already, I am fine,” Jemma snapped. The boy just shrugged and sipped his coffee.

“Want to go to the balcony and talk there?” he finally said, pulling out a pack of cigarettes. She wanted to kick him out, but also didn’t want him to leave just yet. The feeling was new to her and she didn’t fully understand it yet, however she quietly followed him into the small balcony, where he lit a cigarette and offered her one as well. She took it with gratitude – even though she wasn’t really a smoker, nicotine seemed like the right kind of solution right now.

They stood there in silence for a while, neither of them daring to speak, until Jemma’s voice finally sliced through the quietness of the morning.

“Why…why were you worried?” she softly asked. Kangin just looked at her and chuckled.

“Well, you stormed out of the dorms so fast, I think there are burn marks on the carpet,” he took another sip of his coffee before his face turned serious, “Worrying about someone is a human thing to do, Jemma. After seeing you in the staircase, and then hearing Ryeowook’s accusations, I knew something must have happened and that you really weren’t okay. I’m more perceptive than people give me credit for,” he finished, glancing at her.

Jemma took a deep drag out of her cigarette and threw it onto the pavement. The she sighed, “But…why? You hardly know me?”

“Because you’re our manager. And we are a family. We take the good and the bad. I told you about my mistake a while ago and how Leeteuk and the others helped me through it. And we are ready to be there for you, if you would only let us,” he placed a hand on her shoulder, “Don’t close yourself up, Jemma”

The girl just stared at him, his words ringing through her mind. We are ready to be there for you if you would only let us. For the past 10 years, she had only relied on herself, taking charge of her own life, her own decisions, never letting anyone close. But that was the right way to go…right? That was the only way to ensure that you won’t end up being hurt, wasn’t it? Nothing is permanent and relying on others only caused pain…didn’t it? As she looked at Kangin’s face, something stirred inside of her; her warm and inviting smile touched something in her, making her feel warm for the first time in years. And suddenly she felt the tears fall from her eyes, and his strong arms engulf her into a big, warm hug.

“It’s okay,” he murmured into her hair, echoing the words of Officer Andrews, “I am here for you. We are all here for you,”

He led her back into the room, setting her gently on the couch and poured her another mug of coffee. She drank it in silence, the tears finally dried.

“It’s almost eight thirty,” she finally said, glancing at her phone, “And we need to leave at ten. I’d suggest you go downstairs and get ready,”

Kangin nodded, patting her hand gently, before rising and heading towards the door. As soon as it closed, Jemma jumped to her feet and started getting ready for the day.

The hot water was scalding her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter