A Dream

Broken Mirrors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The late afternoon air was filling the lush garden. Voices were filling the air, the quiet clinking of glasses and silverware accompanying the birds in a beautiful musical composition. The sun was playing with the crystal, casting speckles of rainbows onto the white linen table cloth. Lavender and orchids were swirling together, surrounded by baby’s breath, entangled in small vases across the long table. The trees were casting a shadow across the well kept lawn, roses and peonies growing in their flowers beds, making the air heavy with their sweet aroma. 

It was a perfect afternoon.

 

Ryeowook ran out of the house to check on the details and smiled at the sight that presented itself before him. The garden looked beautiful, he thought. 

“It’s perfect, Wookie,” Sungmin suddenly appeared, clapping the smaller boy on the shoulder.

He looked at the other boy, eyes full of hope, “I hope she likes it, Minnie,” he said.

“I am sure of it. Now go get ready, she should be back soon,” the older man pushed his dongsaeng towards the door.

The house was full. Donghae, Eunhyuk, Henry and Kyuhyun were playing a video game in the living room, while the managers were all gathered in the makeshift office, that was basically a long table cluttered with laptops and paperwork, discussing a script for the upcoming shoot. Siwon had joined them earlier that day, saying he couldn’t miss this show for the world — he was still a little sore for having missed the Guest House production due to scheduling issues — and was practising his Chinese with Zhou Mi in the kitchen. The atmosphere was light, everyone anticipating the big feast that was to follow that night. Ryeowook looked wistfully at them as he ascended up the stairs, his mind elsewhere entirely. He stopped by his bedroom and grabbed the large bag he had picked up at the department store the other day. Opening the box inside, he ran his fingers over the soft material of the dress. The fabric felt like someone had solidified air, soft and yet firm. His eyes wandered over the pattern embroiled into the bodice, a maze of fine silvery lines wandering in every direction, curling and swirling.

He closed the lid and stepped back outside, heading towards the other end of the corridor. He carefully opened the bedroom door there, making sure no one was watching him, and slipped inside.

The room was pristine clean. If Ryeowook hadn’t known better, he would have thought no one lived there. The desk was perfectly organized, not a single note out of place. The laptop was sitting on a small coffee table, a large filing folder opened next to it. The idol didn’t pry, instead quickly putting the box on the ivory bed sheets. He noticed the curtains were closed, so he drew them, letting the lazy afternoon sun inside, cracking the window slightly open. The room instantly felt warmer, brighter. Suppressing his desire to take a look into the large folder, or shift through the pile of notes neatly stacked on the table, he made his way to the door. 

Not yet, he told himself, if she wanted to share with me, she would.

 

 

A couple of miles up the hill, Kangin was staring at the younger girl as she frantically fiddled with something under the hood of the rental car. 

“I think it should be fixable,” Jemma shouted, “Can you check the trunk whether there is duct tape?” 

“Duct tape?” the man peeked, his eyebrows raised.

“If you can’t fix it with duct tape, you can’t fix it at all,” Jemma winked, “Old theatre saying.”

Kangin opened the trunk and stared at the assortment of things there. Several tool boxes were stacked on top of each other, an emergency blanket was neatly folded on top of them. A duffel back containing what Kangin supposed to be a portable wardrobe was sitting on top of a case of water. 

“Always prepared for anything, huh?” he laughed, lifting a pair of working boots, “Were you planning on ploughing some cabbages later today?”

Jemma simply rolled her eyes and kept rummaging under the hood. Everything seemed to be in order there, but the car still refused to start.

“Did you find the tape?” she asked, joining Kangin in the back. He was still looking, and she snapped open one of the boxes containing multiple rolls of duct tape. Giving him an ‘Are you serious’ look, she pulled out a creeper and a jack from under all the boxes.

“You have those with you at all times?” he asked in amazement. The girl was turning out to be full of surprises, even more than he was expecting.
“Dad taught me to always be prepared. Now help me with that,” Jemma lodged the jack under the car and motioned for the idol to lift. He did. What else was there to do?

“You never said though,” he said, having trapped her under the car with no way to escape, “How long have you been in love with our eternal maknae?”

A coughing sound came from under the car, and Je

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter