Chapter 3

Symptoms
The sound of singing birds wakes Taemin up. He is still laying on the couch. His hair is all messy and all his muscles hurt. Slowly he get's up. It's saturday, so he doesn't have to go to school today.He is lucky with that. Eventhough Taemin wants to practice his vocal skills, it's better to not go to school. After the whole Jonghyun thing of yesterday Taemin is really embarrased of himself.
 
He stretches his arms and legs and walks into the kitchen. He expects his mom is busy cooking eggs and making toast, but nobody is there. ''Mom?,'' Taemin yells. No answer. Taemin sighs and opens the fridge. There is nothing in there. Only some sauces and a bottle of milk. Taemin ruffles his own hair and yawns. It looks like he has to buy his own breakfast today.
 
He walks out of the kitchen and puts his shoes on. He grabs some money out of the pocket of his coat and leaves the house, while wearing the clothes he has worn yesterday and slept in. When he opens the door he sees a very familiar face at the other side of the street. It's Jonghyun.
 
''Ah! Taemin-ah! There you are! I've searched up your addres on the school website, but I couldn't find it!'' Jonghyun waves and crosses the road. ''Hey..'' Taemin awkwardly scratches the back of his head. ''Why have you been looking for me? Nobody ever- .... nevermind.'' ''Nobody ever what?,'' Jonghyun asks. Taemin shakes his head. ''Nevermind. Just tell me what you are doing here?'' Jonghyun laughs. He has been smiling the whole time. ''I wanted to practice singing with you. After what happened yesterday I, uhm, I felt like I did something wrong since you just left.'' Taemin raises his eyebrow.
 
Does this kid really care about me? Doesn't he think I'm a weird, anti-social douchebag since I just left yesterday?
 
''Maybe we can become friends later,'' Jonghyun says. Taemin presses his lips together. His eyes widen a bit. ''Have I said something weird? Of course I have! Oh my, we only know each other since yesterday and I'm allready acting like this! I'm a . I'm sorry.'' Even while he is calling himself a , Jonghyun is still smiling. ''No need to apologize,'' Taemin says almost in a whisper. ''I'd love to practice and hang out with you.'' Jonghyun's smile get's bigger. ''Lovely! It means a lot to me to hang out with such a cool boy like you! Since I'm the new kid here, nobody knows me.''
 
Cool boy like me? This guy seriously has no idea who I am and what my reputation is.
 
Taemin his stomach makes a groaring noice. ''You haven't ate breakfast, have you? Shall I buy you a sandwich or something?,'' Jonghyun asks kindly. Taemin nods. ''I would like that.'' They walk to a small cafe that is just two streets away.
 
''If you go sit there, I'll order something,'' Jonghyun says while pointing at a white, round table for two, beneath a large window. Taemin walks to the table and let's himself fall down on the chair. He looks at Jonghyun who is ordering two bagels and two cups of coffee.
 
I can't believe someone is actually hanging out with me. He is so kind and sweet! But what if he finds out about my reputation! Will he still hang out with me? He probably won't! I mean I'm such a-
 
''Taemin? Taemin? Ah, there you are! Man, you where dreaming. Had a rough night?'' Jonghyun is poking in Taemin's shoulder. Taemin shakes his head to wake himself up and then looks at Jonghyun. ''Sorry, I uhm..'' ''It's okay! Just eat well!'' Jonghyun let's himself fall on his chair and starts eating his bagel. Taemin takes a sip of his coffee and smiles.
''So, ywr a sngr andff a dansjrrr rwwht?'' Jonghyun asks with his mouth stuffed. ''I beg your pardon?,'' Taemin says while taking another sip. Jonghyun swallows his bite and giggles. ''I said, So you are a singer and a dancer, right?'' Taemin nods happily. ''You must want to become an idol.'' Jonghyun takes another bite. ''Ah~ yes! I've been practicing for years now! I really want to become an idol!'' Jonghyun his eyes widen excitedly. ''ME TOO!'' He swallows again. ''I've wanted to be an idol since I was a little kid! It's so cool you also want to be an idol! Damn, you must be really populair at your school! All girls love an idol, don't they?'' Taemin his smile disapears and he takes a small bite of his bagel to avoid talking. ''You are not very talkative about this subject, are you? Something wrong.'' Taemin doesn't reply. ''You get bullied, don't you?'' Jonghyun sits a little closer to Taemin. Taemin nods. ''People tell me I'm not talented at all and they say I don't fit in.'' Jonghyun smashes his fist playfully on the table. ''I don't believe you!''
 
Silence.
 
''You get bullied a lot, hmm? Not talented? I bet you are talented! I mean, you dance AND sing!'' Taemin smiles weakly at Jonghyun who tries to cheer him up. ''Teachers tell me I will get there, but students don't. I am the laughing stock of the school. I practice so much, but they still keep calling me names. It depresses me.'' Jonghyun's smile that has been on his face since he met Taemin dissapears. ''Your story saddens me. I can't believe people can be this mean.'' ''You think I'm a weirdo, right? You will probably just leave now like everyone else did,'' Taemins says. ''Are you mad? I won't! We are friends now, right? I will never just let you down!''
 
We are friends now, right? We are friends. Friends.
 
Taemin smiles. ''Thank you so much. You are my very fist friend.'' Jonghyun smiles back and get's up. ''Come here you little carebear.'' He hugs Taemin. ''Together we will become idols!''