Chapter 1

Symptoms
With his bagpack filled with school supplies and dancing shoes, Taemin walks lonely through the large hallway of the school he goes to: 'Seoul High, Highschool for the arts'. Several students look after him when he walks into the empty dancing studio.
 
The fact that many students stare at him isn't new for Taemin. People always make fun of him and his dream of becoming an idol. Even though this is a high school for teenagers who want to become artists, they think Taemin is different. They say he isn't talented at all. They say he doesn't have the looks to become an idol. They say he isn't brave enough tho stand alone on stage and perform. All they do is bully him.
 
Taemin puts some music on and he starts dancing. His long black bangs are covering his face while he dances smoothly to the music. While dancing he forgets about all the mean things the students of this school yelled at him today.
 
''Just give up, Taemin. You won't ever make it in the buisness.''
''Why do you still go to this school? Nobody thinks you're talented.''
''Bro, just turn around and leave the building. Become a doctor or something. You will never be an idol.''
 
The words they yell at him are very harsh. And actually Taemin has no idea why people yell that stuff at him. Yeah, he isn't the best singer and of course there are better dancers. But he isn't bad. He does have talent. His teachers are very proud of him and his performances are really good. So, why do people make fun of him? He will probably never find out, but what he does know is that it depresses him. He works day and night to improve and still people tell him to just stop.
 
After hours of practicing Taemin looks at the clock. It's 7PM allready. School ended 3 hours ago, but Taemin decided to stay. He turns of the music and whips his sweaty bangs out of his face while he bends over to grab his bag from the floor. He grabs himself a towel and dries is sweaty body while he looks into the huge mirrors. He stares at the bruises on his arms that he got from the heavy training sessions he gives himself.
 
Everyday he pushes himself to the limit with hours of singing and dancing rehearsals. He get's many bruises and pain from it, but it doesn't matter to him. All he wants is to reach his dream of becoming an idol.
 
Taemin takes a sip of water and leaves the room. He leaves the school building and starts walking home. It's allready dark outside and the weather is a bit chilly which Taemin enjoys. He walks slowly so he can enjoy the air that cools him down. His legs hurt from the training sesion, but Taemin enjoys that pain. For some reason it calms him. While stretching his arms and cracking his necks he turns left and walks into the street he lives in. Right when he enters the street he smells a very nice smell of food. His mom is probably cooking him some food.
 
''Taemin, you work way to hard. You should relax some more! You are also getting very skinny and muscular. Please eat some more,'' she tells him every evening when Taemin enters the kitchen where his mother is always cooking him his favourite meals to pamper her son.
 
Taemin enters his house and just as expected his mom cooked him a warm, nice meal. ''Taemin-ah! It's almost 8 o'Clock! Have you been practicing again? You work to hard! Come to the kitchen and eat!''
 
Taemin smiles when he hears the nagging voice of his mom. She is the only one who really cares about him. He walks into the kitchen and sees his mom scooping a huge pile of baked potatoes on his plate. ''Taemin-ah! You look tired and hungry. Are you ok?'' Taemin sits down, while his mom puts a filled plate on the table. ''Yes, I'm ok mom.'' he says while looking at the baked potatoes, steamed veggies and grilled chicken with sauce. ''You should stop making me these meals, mom. You put way to much effort in it.'' His mom smiles at him. ''It's the least thing I can do to reward your hard working. IF YOUR BROTHER ONLY WAS LIKE THIS!'' She grins and Taemin's older brother, Taesun, enters the kitchen. ''Aish, mom you are so mean! Is there any food left?'' ''No, Taesun. You allready ate your portion. Now go do your homework!'' Taesun leaves the kitchen and Taemin laughs. ''Now, eat well dear. I'm going to clean.'' His mom kisses his head and leaves the kitchen.
 
After dinner Taemin goes to his room. He grabs his diary and starts reading all the little messages he has written in it.
 
Dear diary. My teacher told my I did a great job today. Sadly the students told me I did not. But I won't give up!
Dear diary. I feel terrible! I don't want to go trough this anymore. Nobody believes in me. I'm a nobody.
Dear diary. I can't do this anymore.
 
A tear escapes Taemins eye and he throws the diary to the other side of the room. Why is there nobody who believes in him? Why does everybody make fun of him?
Why?