Lost Heart Chapter 2

Lost Heart

Ryeowook slowly opened his eyes, blinking and looking around. He checked the clock and groaned out loud, rolling onto his side. A squishy pillow smacked the back of his head and he turned, glaring bleary eyed at YoungSaeng across the way. “Why’d you do that?” Ryeowook grumbled, trying to stifle the familiar pounding in the back of his head.

“Drink too much last night?” YoungSaeng grunted, climbing out of bed only to flop down beside the second year. He threw one arm around Ryeowook’s waist, yawning and closing his eyes tiredly.

“Mmhmm…,” he muttered, “it’s already four in the afternoon. We missed all our classes…” Ryeowook didn’t really have anything important to do that day, but it was always annoying to know that he had missed out on an entire day. There was something similar to disappointment whenever he slept in. It meant that he hadn’t done anything…that—

“You lied to KyuJong didn’t you?” YoungSaeng remarked, gazing at Ryeowook.

“…about what?” he replied, vaguely returning the stare.

YoungSaeng was quiet for a moment but then he sighed and ruffled Ryeowook’s hair. “I’m not gonna push you. Just tell me when you want to.” He smiled drowsily, sticking his tongue out.

Ryeowook stifled a small smile, eyes falling closed as he leaned closer to the third year. “We should wake up. Dinner is really soon right?”

“Gonna eat today?”

“Yeah, can’t drink anymore,” Ryeowook replied softly, “too nauseous…”

“I could go for some real food too,” the other answered, hugging Ryeowook and pulling the blanket closer around them, “in a little bit. I’m ing tired, man.”

The younger nodded, somewhat relieved that he wouldn’t have to admit that his entire being was killing him. It felt like someone was pressing a knife down the center of his brain, daring to rip the two halves apart. “Why did you drink so much?” Ryeowook mumbled.

“I thought we were having a contest.”

“That’s a bad joke.”

YoungSaeng grinned slightly, absently running his fingertips through Ryeowook’s soft hair, “I thought it was pretty good. I’m gonna go back to sleep so shut it.”

Ryeowook didn’t reply, just evened out his breathing and fought back the nausea.

Sleep sounded good. But anything that allowed him to close his eyes and go to a better place, a different time…was good.

 

The room was empty except for me. All of the other kids were older and played with their own friends. I played with them sometimes but they just liked bullying me. But a bunch of them were also adopted or sent to other homes. Usually I had to play by myself.

All of the walls were an old reddish brown color. The drapes were ragged and a sickly off white color. There were stains on them but all of us had gotten used to it. Three windows lined the wall directly across from the open door. Wooden bars segmented the dusty glass panels. Fingerprints could be seen where some of us would draw when we were bored. Six beds occupied the dim space, three on each side. There was a small space beneath the windows where a rug was laid out. Old toys were carelessly tossed there.

I was playing with a teddy bear, making him combat a robot. My bear was winning of course. Right when he was about to knock the robot over though, someone walked into the room. It was my floor’s caretaker, Mrs. Kim. She had her hair tied back in a tight bun and an apron knotted around her round stomach.

“Hi, Mrs. Kim,” I greeted, standing up and putting the teddy bear on the rug.

“Ryeowook meet Kyuhyun,” she stated, nudging a small, dark haired boy forward, “he’ll be living with us from now on.”

The boy was stone faced, eyes black and cold. His skin was pale, mouth a flat line. There seemed to be bruises covering both his arms. He was really cute though. I wanted to hold his hand and make the pain go away. The caretakers always told me that you can make the pain go away by giving kisses and hugs.

“Hi, Kyuhyun,” I said, smiling and taking his hand because that’s what I wanted to do.

“…hi,” he replied, staring at our clasped hands, “how old are you?”

I paused, counting my fingers. When I ran out, I lifted our hands up and used his fingers to count too. “Ah, I’m six! How old are you?”

“I just turned six,” Kyuhyun answered, a very faint smile crossing his face.

“Oh, that’s good!”

“Why?”

I grinned, pulling him farther into the room. “That means we can play forever and neither of us will ever be alone again.”

Kyuhyun stared at me with his dark, sad eyes. “…do you promise?”

“Mm-hm!” I nodded firmly and kissed his scratched up hand. “Pain, pain go away~ come again another day—oops! I mean, don’t come back again. How do you make that rhyme?”

He shrugged and I could feel his hand tighten around mine…

 

“—up! Wake up, Ryeowook!” YoungSaeng called, shaking the boy awake.

The younger grunted, eyes fluttering open as he clambered up on his elbows, “Hmm? What’s going on?” Ryeowook rubbed the sleep out of eyes, scooting a bit away from the boy beside him.

“Dinner ends in half an hour. Let’s go,” YoungSaeng replied in a low voice, climbing out of bed and stretching.

“…Do we have to eat?” Ryeowook muttered eyes lowered upon nothing.

“What the hell were you dreaming about?” the third year inquired, raising an eyebrow and dragging Ryeowook to his feet. “Aren’t you the one that wanted to eat?” He grinned and slung an arm around the slender boy’s shoulders.

Ryeowook nodded slowly, “Ah, yeah that’s true I guess…and y’know how I said I don’t want to drink tonight?” They slipped on shoes and shuffled towards the door, jackets in hand.

“You wanna drink?” YoungSaeng murmured teasingly.

“Yeah, I really do,” Ryeowook answered softly, leaning closer to the third year.

The latter peered at the young boy from the corner of his eye. Quietly, he patted Ryeowook’s head and said, “Let’s throw a ing huge party. And tomorrow we’ll swallow some aspirin and take cold showers and head off to class.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Ryeowook grinned.