Lost Heart Chapter 3

Lost Heart

Minho felt someone tap his shoulder, stirring him awake from what had been a rather nice nap. He glared at the disturbance, eyes bleary. “What?” the boy mumbled, trying to lower his head again.

The guy tapped a note, nudging it towards the other before quickly turning away. At the front of the classroom, the teacher was droning away about biology…maybe. Minho wasn’t exactly positive. The last time he had fully focused on his studies was years ago. There was just no point when he didn’t give a damn about anything but eating, sleeping, and music – though it seemed as if everyone could agree that music was salvation.

Each and every person who attended the academy only stayed at attention during music class. There was nothing else they liked to be frank. Perhaps from a professional’s standpoint, they would say “as children, you need an escape and music is a convenient way to do so” at least, that’s what they always told Minho.

Whatever, they were loons.

He unfolded the note, indifferently reading the scribbled words.

Party in Dorm 3 Room 34

Tonight 8

Bring drinks and food

 

Minho passed the note on, not caring either way to record the information. The boy didn’t like to drink, plain and simple. When he drank it was around friends and only friends. He knew what parties like those were like and they weren’t anything to brag about. Getting into messy wasn’t his thing anymore.

“Why did you give me this?” Sungmin whispered, blanching at the note in his hand.

Oh, he had forgotten that Sungmin sat next to him. Minho grinned, swiping the note away and handing it off to some other person. “Sorry,” he mouthed, snickering and cuddling back into his folded arms upon the desk.

The other boy just rolled his eyes and went back to studiously taking notes. Minho turned his head, staring at Sungmin. The boy was just too cute, huh? Of course, Minho told him that every day. It wasn’t his fault Sungmin didn’t listen. Weren’t people supposed to take compliments? Why did he always get ignored? Those were real, honest to goodness words. Minho frowned to himself. Maybe they came off mocking…naw, that couldn’t be it. Why would he bother mocking Sungmin? His time would be better spent trying to get in the boy’s pants, right?

 

Classes ended for the day and Minho left the room, yawning and blinking away tired tears. He just wanted to get back to the dorms and sleep. Every day was so aggravatingly boring. There was nothing knew going on. All of the holidays and breaks weren’t for another few weeks. The teachers were dull and fat – from all of the lazing around and eating holidays. Furthermore, there was something strange going on; he couldn’t put his finger on it, but there was definitely something wrong…something out of place.

At first, Minho guessed it was the strangely happy expression Taemin produced whenever the boy’s phone vibrated with a text message alert. But then again, that wasn’t bad so it had to be something else.

And so he thought about Sungmin again, a ritual that had been going on for far longer than anyone, including himself, had expected. But again, perhaps there was nothing wrong there. They were still conversing well – sort of – and at this point Sungmin wasn’t pushing him away with as much force as before. The kid was probably giving in.

Right! Ryeowook…where had the kid been lately? Before, Minho had always seen Ryeowook prancing along with Sungmin or in other situations, following that Kyuhyun guy. He briefly met the latter a month or so earlier. It wasn’t much of a memorable meeting, but Kyuhyun was one of those people that you meet and get stuck on. When you try to forget them or not try more often than not they just pop back up when you’re seeking an answer.

Anyway, what the hell was the kid up to? Minho had tried getting his room number but Sungmin always refused to give it out. To that day he still didn’t know where Ryeowook lived; just how sad was that? He wanted to punch all of the people who had known and didn’t tell him. Well, that was a slight overstatement. But those people did piss him off just a tad.

A text arrived. Minho pulled out his phone, opening the message.

Taeminnie~ says: I’m gonna eat Mir for dinner so find someone else to hang with tonight :3

      Love you lots, Minwhore <3

Minho scoffed at the nickname. The kid must’ve been pretty excited about something if he was using so many obvious euphemisms. He pulled up a reply message:

I say: Stay out of the dorm room. I don’t wanna come back to that -__- Tired today

Taeminnie~ says: :O Fine…we’ll have fun in his room again

 

He slipped the phone back into his pocket, striding towards the dining hall. If he found out that they were doing stuff in the room again, Minho swore he would cut off that pretty honey blonde hair. At least then the day would be different from the rest.

“Wookie, you already finished eating?”

Minho slowed down as he was about to turn the corner to the dining hall. That was Sungmin talking wasn’t it? He glanced around the bend, seeing a strange scene. There was a group of maybe four of five guys, including Ryeowook, walking away from the building. Sungmin was alone, presumably meeting up with someone inside or maybe just grabbing a quick bite before going back to do homework.

Ryeowook inched closer to an older looking boy, probably a third year. “Yeah, we already got some food. Sorry Minnie,” he replied, smiling weakly.

“No don’t apologize,” Sungmin stated, returning the expression with a hint of confusion, “I understand so no worries. Oh I wanted to know if you’re going to work the Spring Musical. If you are, our new President is closing sign ups soon.”

The older boy nudged Ryeowook subtly. “I have to go right now,” Ryeowook said, shrugging helplessly at Sungmin, “but I promise I’ll talk to the President at the next meeting or something. The Spring Musical should be fun.” Then the boy was walking off with the group, sticking close to the one who had been pushing for him to finish up the already brief conversation.

However, Ryeowook didn’t seem to mind. His eyes were focused on the words and stories being told in the tight knit circle; his expression one of acceptance and comfort. Sungmin though hadn’t seen it as he already turned away, walking up the short steps to the building.

Minho shot one more look at Ryeowook’s receding group before catching up to Sungmin. He caught the latter’s wrist, stopping him momentarily. “Sungminnie~! Wanna eat together?”

“U-Uh, sure?” Sungmin mumbled, apparently perplexed by the request. He was used to Minho simply joining him without invitation.

The taller boy grinned, patting Sungmin’s shoulder and leading the way into the dining hall. “I hear there’s something yummy on the menu tonight.”