2/1 [Sequel]

Coffee
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do Aprons Suit Suits?

 

 

Jimin works hard and prides himself of that but when he gets laid off from his job after trying out a new recipe, he gets very discouraged and puts himself down. However, he soon finds a small, colourful café down the block with a very welcoming atmosphere and a good position as a full time staff. Jimin applies the moment he notices the “hiring” sign. He gets hired right away because his skills are no joke, nor the speed at which he manages to get everything done nicely.

 

It’s Jimin’s third day at work and he really likes it there. However, this morning he is all alone because his manager is out of city to run some errands while the part-timer does not start his shift until noon. But, there aren’t any customers around and Jimin is not scared at all. He begins the morning by opening up the café, setting up the tables and then getting started on his baking.

 

Jimin finishes up a few batches and sets them up in the baskets neatly, and sets another batch into the oven to bake. But then Jimin realizes that something’s missing.

 

“Coffee!”

 

The boy recalls the reason why he was fired the last time: A baker attempting to make coffee without proper barista training… But  Jimin has now choice right now. How can a coffee shop not have any coffee? He can’t just wait for the barista till noon so he grabs the coffee beans from the cupboard a little too high for him and then begins to grind them. The smell is amazing and Jimin can live like this forever!

 

But Jimin’s definition of coffee doesn’t match up exactly to everyone else’s. He likes to add a little twist of his own and since no one is there to watch him, Jimin figures it wouldn’t hurt to just brew one Jimin special cup for himself.

 

So he begins to pour the grinded coffee beans and a quarter cup of water in a pot and brings it to a boil. Then, he pours the mix through a coffee filter and some more boiling water. And with a few teaspoons of cream and sugar, his special coffee is complete. Jimin finds the strong, yet calming aroma worth taking the risk.

 

Just then, he hears the oven beep from the kitchen and he runs back, remembering he left cookies in the oven. When Jimin comes out with the tray of cookies, he spots a customer who looks like he’s been waiting for a while. He instantly puts on his signature smile and greets the man in a black suit, neatly put. He looks around Jimin’s height, but has a stern expression on his pale face as he stares a hole in the baker’s face.

 

“Is there anything wrong?” Jimin swallows the lump in his throat because he is intimated and a bit scared by the man in front of him.

 

“No” the man looks at the time and Jimin stops breathing for that brief moment. “I have to go, then.”

 

Jimin is not sure what happened and he keeps recalling the strange man from the early morning. The man’s face haunts the boy all day long and he does not like being distracted during work. So he tells himself that it was just a weird incident and he would hopefully not see the man again.

 

But Jimin’s hopes shatter the next morning as he spots the same strange man walk into the café from the corner of his eyes and again, he is alone because his manager is late and the part timer is not coming till noon today either. Jimin inwardly groans but makes sure not to show it in front of his customers.

 

This time, Jimin makes sure to let the customer know that he acknowledges him, as to not give him further reasons to be displeased. “One moment, Sir.”

 

Jimin’s heart is beating uncontrollably because, well, he is not sure exactly why, but he assumes it’s because he is intimidated by the strange customer – or well he would be if he ever did order anything.

 

And by the time Jimin finishes serving the elderly customer, the man is gone.

 

“Are you kidding me?”

 

“He’s probably crazy.” Jungkook says as he grabs a cookie from the hot tray Jimin is carrying before crying in pain because it’s obviously burning hot. “Ouch!”

 

The baker laughs at the foolish barista and shakes his head. “Says the one who just burned himself over a cookie.”

 

“Well, I’m just crazy for cookies. There’s a difference.” Jungkook runs his hand under cold water in the nearby sink.

 

“What’s the difference, then?” Jimin raises his eyebrow.

 

Jungkook turns around with a smug expression on his face. “Maybe he’s crazy for something too…”

 

“And that is?”

 

“You’re not ready for this.”

 

“I am. Tell me, what is it?”

 

“Okay, fine.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Well, maybe he’s crazy for you.”

 

And with that, Jimin is left dumbstruck.

 

“That’s ridiculous”, Jimin tells himself every single morning as the crazy man in his perfect suit shows up at exactly 8:25 and leaves not a second later than 8:40. And what is more ridiculous is that the baker keeps track of this unofficial schedule that the man created.

 

And when one morning, the man does not show up at 8:25, Jimin finds himself glancing towards the door every few seconds. Then it turns 8:30 and the baker starts to feel a bit anxious. The man has never been late, has never missed a morning for the past 2 months and suddenly he refuses to show up. Or maybe he’s just late. Jimin tells himself that he’s being an idiot as the clock turns 8:50 and he knows there is no way the man would show up now. And without his consent, his heart tugs in disappointment and no matter how much he disapproves, his mind is busy worrying.

 

“Maybe he was running late?” Jungkook suggests.

 

“But he’s never late!” Jimin furrows his eyebrows together, forming lines on his forehead.

 

Jungkook shrugs. “Then he was probably not interested in a coffee this morning. Who cares, anyways! I thought you didn’t like him coming every morning… what happened to that?”

 

Jimin shakes his head furiously, “I don’t! I’m glad he’s not here, actually! Relieved, really.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter