Mother's Day 1

Drabble Bucket

Minkey + Chanyeol, Family!AU- 1052 words

This family dynamic is from is from an unwritten fanfic


Kibum was asleep in bed soundly, head resting on his pillow. He’d been up late sewing and gone to bed near the time Minho would be getting up to go to work. He only hoped his husband would kindly be quiet when he prepared for the day. Kibum was so deeply asleep, he never heard Minho get up. He also didn’t hear the door opening to his room at almost ten in the morning as his child came thudding across the carpet and climbed onto the bed. Kibum only had a sense that he should probably wake up when the bed began to shake.

His eyes cracked open, hair falling in his face. He rolled onto his side, looking over his shoulder, to see his son, Chanyeol, jumping up and down excitedly on the bed in the place where Minho would be sleeping. He rolled onto his back and pushed his hair out of his face, looking at his child and he blinked sleep from his eyes.

“Mommy! Mommy, are you awake?” Chanyeol chimed, still bouncing up and down excitedly.

Kibum laughed some. “What are you doing in here, Yeollie? Where’s appa?”

“Appa told me to come wake you up!” Chanyeol stopped jumping, falling down onto the bed on his .

He grinned at his mother, big brown eyes shining in happiness. Kibum patted his chest lightly then, hiding a grin. The child immediately crawled over and laid on top of Kibum. Kibum smiled, rubbing his back and kissing his forehead. Chanyeol giggled, placing his small hands on Kibum’s jaw and kissing it gently.

“I love you, mommy. Happy Mommy’s Day!”

Kibum blinked. “What?”

“It’s Mommy’s Day. That’s why appa told me to wake you up!”

Kibum had completely forgotten about mother’s day. He was surprised. The door to the room opened and Minho came in, carrying a tray with breakfast on it.

“You’re up!”

“What is this?”

“It’s Mother’s Day,” Minho said with a grin.

“I completely forgot about it…This is such a surprise,” Kibum said with a laugh.

Chanyeol slid off of his mother’s chest and settled beside him. Kibum sat up, leaning against his pillows as Minho placed the tray on his lap. His breakfast was a traditional English set up: two poached eggs, a piece of toast with butter, a slice of bacon, two sausage links, grilled tomatoes, and a cup of English breakfast tea. Kibum’s eyes lit up.

“Oh! This is wonderful! You made all of this?”

Minho rubbed the back of his neck. “Mostly. I practiced some mornings before I headed to practice to make sure I could get it right. It looks good…”

Kibum smiled. “I’ll like it because you made it for me.”

Chanyeol leaned against Kibum, head pressed into his side. “I have to give you your present, mommy.”

“Okay, sweetheart. After I eat breakfast.”

“I’m going to clean the kitchen. Enjoy,” Minho said with a wink.

He left the room and Kibum smiled, picking up his knife and fork. He cut a piece of sausage and took a bite, then hummed happily at the taste. Chanyeol quietly crawled to the edge of the bed and got down. Kibum was going to ask him what he was doing, but the child the TV. The mother expected him to turn on his cartoons but instead, Chanyeol put in a DVD. He climbed back onto the bed, nuzzling into Kibum’s side with the remote, just as the menu for the film Notting Hill appeared on the screen. Kibum’s eyes widened before he looked down at Chanyeol, who was looking up at him.

“Mommy’s favorite. Can I watch the grown up movie?”

Kibum smiled and ruffled his hair. “You can watch it this time.”

Chanyeol grinned and pressed play for them. Kibum ate slowly as the movie started. Chanyeol kept leaning against him, watching quietly. Kibum speared a small piece of sausage and offered it to the child, who bit it quickly.

“Thanks, mommy.”

“You’re welcome, my love.”

After a little while, Minho came back in and settled on the other side of the bed. Kibum had finished his breakfast, so he moved the train to the bedside table and scooted over, putting an arm around Kibum’s shoulders and squishing Chanyeol between them. Kibum grinned. He couldn’t think of any other way he’d want to spend the day.

Once the film was over, Chanyeol was off to get him his gift. Kibum waited patiently and looked at Minho.

“Happy Mother’s Day, Kibum.”

“Thank you. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me. Did you call your mom?”

“I did,” Minho said, “She was happy to hear from me. She said we should come visit with Chanyeol soon.”

“That’d be great,” Kibum agreed.

Chanyeol came back in then, carrying a badly wrapped gift as he shuffled over to the bed. He offered it to Kibum with a card. Kibum grinned and accepted the gift with gentle hands. He opened it up carefully. There was a mug with a union jack design on it and a necklace with a “K” pendant. Kibum chuckled, smiling at the gift. He then looked at the card. Chanyeol had drawn stick figures of him, Kibum, Minho, and Kibum’s two dogs. Around the drawings was written “Happy Mommy’s Day” and on the inside was a cute heartfelt message. Kibum tried not to cry, the words and pictures making him feel more loved than ever. He scooped up Chanyeol into his arms and squeezed him tight.

“Thank you so much, sweetheart.”

“I love you, mommy,” Chanyeol said with a smile, hands wrapping around Kibum’s neck.

Kibum his back and smiled at him. He rocked him lightly in happiness.

“Mommy, one day when I have lots of money, let’s go to London together, okay?”

The mother tried not to cry as his eyes watered and he cuddled Chanyeol closer. “I’d really like that, sweetie. I really would.”

Chanyeol smiled, holding onto his mother. “Happy Mommy’s Day, mommy.”

Minho smiled, reaching out to rub Kibum’s shoulder. Kibum smiled at him and he wondered if his life could get any better than that moment. Kibum mouthed “I love you” to his husband and Minho smiled.

Kibum spent the rest of the day in bed with his family, feeling loved and appreciated in the best ways.