- 1 -

Forever Wasn't Enough

    As the time passed, the night sky grew darker and darker. The moon presented a shining, blue light on the pale concrete. And the stars painted the empty night-time.

 

    8:30 pm. I’m coming home soon baobei. Just wait for me. Meet me near the Han River at our usual spot. I’ll be there.

 

    I did what he asked and sat on a bench near our meeting place. 10:20 my watch read. It’s almost been two hours. Where is he?

 

    I grew impatient and began to walk along the river. It was empty. The cold air bit against my skin as I lost the feeling in my cheeks. The river reflected the bright city lights, as I walked alone.

 

    I continued to stroll on the path, hoping to come across him. I brought my gaze up, off the ground and saw a familiar figure. “Luhan?” I muttered softly under my breath. I moved closer, just enough to see the faint outlines of his face. Luhan! I exclaimed in my head with a smile. With every footstep I took, another obscure figure came into the clearing. Wait….what?

 

    I stopped dead in my tracks to see him embracing a woman. I shook my head, It’s just a friend….Don’t let small things give you the wrong message. I stood there watching as they broke away from the hug. Luhan’s hands moved from her lower back to her face as he brought her in closer for a kiss.

 

    My mouth fell open in surprise. It felt like I was struck by lightning, my hands clenching into fists. I deserved answers. I stomped my way towards him.

 

    “Luhan….can I talk with you for a bit?” I said sternly.

 

    “Uh sure, Just wait here Su-Min-ah....” he said to the woman in Korean.

 

    When we approached a fairly private area, I immediately interrogated him.

    

    “What’s the whole meaning of this!?”

 

    “Of what?” he asked as if there was nothing wrong.

 

    “What is that over there?” I directed my hand towards her.

 

    His eyes widened as he finally realized the situation. “Oh...err she’s just a close family friend…”

 

    Close friend my … Anger boiled up inside me, my hand slapping him with force. I was not only disgusted, but infuriated at his attempt to lie to me.

 

    “Why bother lying to me Luhan? I saw you….I saw you kissing her.” My eyes began to get heavy as I said those words.

 

    His face was still turned from the impact of my hand. He said nothing.

 

    “Why Luhan? Why now? Why do we have to be like this at a time I wanted you with me the most?”

    “It doesn’t have to be this way.” Luhan tells me slowly.

 

    All the things he said just confused me even more. It’s just making the situation worse than it already is. “If it doesn’t have to be this way, then how could you cheat on me? How long have you been cheating on me is the real question.” I countered.

 

    He sighed, “About a year ago, while I was in Korea for a short while….I met Su-Min.”

 

    My heart dropped when he told me. He’s been cheating on me behind my back, while he was away. The fact that he was with her while he was gone for so long hurt me even more.

 

    “Look Sehun, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

 

    “Your apology means nothing here. You can’t fix the damage that has been done.” I paused, letting the sounds of our surroundings sink in.

 

    “You...you said you loved me, Luhan.” My voice broke when I confronted him. All this time, those three words had no meaning between the two of us.

 

    “Things change.”

 

    Those words pricked my skin and shattered my heart. Tears welled up in my eyes and began to fall.

    “I’m sorry again, Sehun. Please don’t hold this against me.”

 

    I couldn’t take it anymore. “J-just go….Luhan. Go back to your stupid girlfriend.”

 

    After saying those words, he turned and left. His back was towards me, he never looked back. I watched as he put his arm around the girl and walked away.

    

    The salty droplets fell heavily at the sight. Those were the arms that held me everyday. Those were the eyes that looked into mine. Those were the lips that kissed mine. That was the heart that took mine.

 

    I lost all of that to someone who didn’t know him as much as I did. Who didn’t love him as much as I did. I lost the one thing that understood me for who I was. The one thing that gave me true happiness.

 

    I couldn’t forget the memories we had together. It was hard to forget, even when I wanted to erase the past. But I knew that I was still madly in love with him. That would never change.

 

I love you so much Sehun.

 

    Those words bit my frozen skin and pierced my fragile heart, shattering it into a million pieces.

 

I will love you forever Luhan.


But forever wasn’t enough for him.