Chapter 5

Four Couples
After almost half an hour, the students were all ushered back to the bleachers to be briefed on the situation. It turned out someone had pulled the alarm as a prank, and the teachers were still trying to find the culprit.
 
But the more important thing at hand was the awarding of the trophy to the winning team, so that was carried out as soon as everyone was settled.
 
Hyejin watched with a big smile as Minseok walked onto the platform along with the rest of his team. They might be at awkward terms at the moment, but he was still her best friend, and she was infinitely proud of him.
 
Sejong High’s side of the field erupted into cheers and claps when the team was handed each of their medals and the trophy. Minseok took his turn shaking the hands of Seungri High’s soccer team as is the policy, then congratulated each of his own team members.
 
The annual soccer game ended at that, and all the students started on their way home, except the cheering squad of both of the schools.
 
Jongdae walked through the very top rows of the bleachers, throwing away the trash left over into the trash bag he carried in his hands. He took a moment to look across the field, though he knew Seyeon wasn’t part of the cheering squad for Seungri High.
 
When they had come back to the bleachers after the fire alarm happening, Baekhyun had asked him about Seyeon. Apparently, his friend had heard from other students about what had happened.
 
“Why did you help that Seungri High girl all of the sudden?” Baekhyun pestered him as soon as they sat down.
 
“Just… just because,” Jongdae tried to shrug it off, but his friend persisted.
 
“You don’t help your rival school ‘just because’, Jongdae. What, you thought she was pretty or something? Even so, you shouldn’t be risking your reputation,” Baekhyun shook his head disapprovingly, “You’re too nice, Jongdae. You should be glad Yoorim came in to help or else you would’ve become an instant outcast.”
 
Jongdae sighed and continued his task. He knew he should’ve been more careful and mentally hit himself. He was also grateful to Yoorim for coming in right at that moment. A question as to why she did popped into his head just then, and he pondered whether to ask the girl, as she was cleaning up near the bottom of the bleachers as well.
 
He decided it wouldn’t hurt and walked down the steps. Besides, he needed to thank her anyways.
 
“Yoorim,” he called when he got to where she was.
 
The girl turned around from tying trash bags and smiled politely at him. “Do you need something?”
 
Jongdae shook his head and said, “I just wanted to thank you for helping me, you know, that time.”
 
Yoorim paused to catch what he was talking about and when she did, she shook her head. “You don’t need to thank me. That’s what classmates do, isn’t it? Help each other out.” She smiled again, genuinely this time.
 
He returned the smile and nodded, coming to the conclusion that Yoorim was as beautiful inside as she was outside. Bending down to pick up a stray flyer on the ground, he stuffed it into his trash bag as he changed the subject, “So how’s Joonmyeon?”
 
Yoorim went back to her task and answered, “Still in the hospital, but recovering all the same,” she paused a bit before she asked, “Do you have a girlfriend?”
 
Jongdae froze and hesitated to answer. “Um, why do you ask?”
 
“Just curious. You seem like a nice guy. Jongdae, right?” Yoorim looked up from her work to give him an inquiring look.
 
He nodded in response to her question about his name, but choosing not to answer her other one.
 
“Well, whether you have one or not, it’s not any of my business, so I’ll just leave it at that,” she stated, and he let out an inaudible sigh of relief. He hadn’t wanted to lie to her.
 
“Just remember that it doesn’t matter what other people say. Don’t let others’ opinions get in the way of following your heart,” she gave him a small smile, “The right time will come when everyone sees that you were right, including the people who were against your choice.”
 
Jongdae blinked at her, not sure in what way to take her advice. It almost seems like she knows everything. he thought, fascinated.
 
Pointing behind her with her thumb, Yoorim said, “I have some more work over there to do, so I’ll see you later. Fighting!” She meant that as an encouragement of his secret relationship with Seyeon, but he took it as one of consolation of the work left over.
 
He turned away to his own task when she walked away and thought over her words. However she meant it, they certainly made him feel a lot better, and he got to work with a lighter heart.
 
At the other end of the bleachers, Hyejin was folding chairs where the teachers had sat and set them at the appointed place. She paused a bit to stretch her back which was starting to cramp up from bending down so much. She stretched her neck too before she reached for another chair to fold.
 
Just as she grabbed the backside, another hand intruded from beside her. When she looked up, her eyes met Minseok’s dark-brown ones. Noticing how close their faces were at the moment, she quickly straightened up and away from him, slightly caught-off guard from their previous proximity.
 
He straightened up as well, staring at her with an amused look in his eyes.
 
“What are you doing here?” she asked, eager to shift the strange air settling in between them.
 
Minseok smiled a small smile which she couldn’t figure out the meaning of. “Here to help you clean up.” He folded the chair in front of him and handed it to her.
 
She gingerly took it from him and walked over to the place where the other folded chairs were leaning against each other. When she came back, he was waiting with another folded chair.
 
“Aren’t you tired? You should go home and rest,” she tried to sound normal as she said it. A part of her wanted him to go already. It was weird; she had never liked being alone before, but that seemed better than being trapped in an awkward situation with Minseok. Especially him. For some reason, she couldn’t bear being awkward with him.
 
He shrugged and walked over to place the folded chair in front of her. Looking up, he said, “I wanted to see you.”
 
Flustered, Hyejin quickly made a grab for the chair so she could get away with a valid reason, but as his hand was still on it, her hand made contact with his.
 
Though it wasn’t the first time their hands had touched, it was different that time as sudden butterflies burst in Hyejin’s stomach. She pulled back as if she’d been burned and took the chair from the sides to avoid it happening again.
 
Minseok watched her retreat with the folded chair with a small grin.
 
Hyejin chided herself for acting so weird around him as she put the chair down. It’s just Minseok. Calm down. She took in a deep breath, an unsuccessful attempt to calm the butterflies.
 
Minseok was the one who had confessed, yet here she was, acting like she had been the one to confess. Heck, she had even been interested in another guy before all this happened! Coming to think of it, she hadn’t thought about Sehun once since Minseok’s confession.
 
Mentally slapping herself, she reminded herself that Minseok had been a friend since childhood and that was all he was and would be. A single confession couldn’t ㅡand wouldn’tㅡ change their ten-year friendship.
 
However, Hyejin couldn’t be quite so sure as she looked back at him.
 
~~
 
“I said I’m fine, Sehun. I can walk by myself.”
 
“I don’t think so. Walking could make your ankle into an even more serious injury than it already is.” Sehun determinedly kept walking, and Dayoung sighed.
 
He could be extremely stubborn when he wanted to, so she let it be and held on tighter to his neck.
 
Silence dominated the two of them, leaving only the rustling of trees to fill the air. Mustering up her courage, Dayoung spoke up after a moment.
 
“Thanks for coming to search for me. I… I don’t know what would’ve happened if you didn’t.”
 
Sehun shrugged, the gesture hindered by her on his back, and replied, “It’s nothing. I know how you get.”
 
Another pause settled on them, and a question kept lingering on Dayoung’s tongue. “So… what- I mean, where- no,” she sighed as she pondered on how to put this, “What exactly are we now?”
 
Sehun stopped to adjust her weight on his back and continued walking. “What do you want us to be?”
 
“I…. I don’t know. There’s still so many things we have to work out and..” Dayoung trailed off at the end, and Sehun nodded. She was right; just because they had made up and apologized to each other, it didn’t mean all their problems went away.
 
If they decided to break up, there wouldn’t be any reason to settle all those misunderstandings, and in a way, it would be simpler. If they stayed a couple, there was sure to be more deep talks and more apologies, maybe even more arguments as they struggled to heal their hurts.
 
But, at least they would go through it together.
 
“You know how you said there was too big of a wall between us to break?” he started out. Feeling her nod against his back, he continued, “There’s no reason to break it on our own.”
 
“What do you mean?” asked Dayoung, hesitant to get her hopes up.
 
“I’ll climb over the wall to you, and we’ll break it down together. Wouldn’t that be easier?”
 
Smiling at his words, Dayoung placed her cheek against his shoulder and decided to trust him one more time. She nodded and whispered in his ear, “Thank you.”
 
Sehun's face broke into a smile and suddenly started running down the sidewalk, happy that they were finally on the right path. Surprised, Dayoung shouted for him to walk, and he laughed as he spun around in circles, teasing her. Her scoldings turned into laughter as she hit him lightly on the back, half-heartedly urging him to stop.
 
Wide smiles were on both their faces as they played around like kids all the way to where Sehun’s car was parked, resembling how they were before their fights. And they both couldn’t be happier.
 
~~
 
Jongdae waved goodbye to his friends as he boarded the bus home. After a silent ride of thinking by himself, he got off at his stop ㅡand was surprised to see Seyeon sitting there on the bench, smiling widely at him.
 
Looking around, he stood next to her and whispered, “What are you doing here?”
 
There was only an elderly couple walking down the street as his house was situated in a secluded part of town, for which Jongdae was grateful for at the moment.
 
“Waiting for you. Why’d you take so long? This already got warm,” she pouted and held up a carton of banana milk to him.
 
Looking around once again, he hurriedly took it and urged her to leave now. “Someone’s going to see us,” he hissed, getting more and more paranoid by the second.
 
“There’s no one here, Jongdae,” she gestured with her arms around her as she stood up, “No one’s going to see us. Besides, you practically told everyone we knew each other when you talked to me today.” She tilted her head at him and smirked.
 
He scratched his head in embarrassment and sat down. “Alright. You win.”
 
Seyeon plopped down next to him and took the milk from him to pop a straw in. She held it out to him, and he leaned forward to drink from it. He was unsuccessful as she took it away just when the straw was almost in his mouth. He gave her a look which she returned with a playful grin. He tried again but didn’t succeed this time either. Seyeon laughed, and he couldn’t help but smile at the pretty sound.
 
After seeing her get on her bus, Jongdae walked to his apartment building alone. Despite everything against them at the moment, he knew he couldn’t give up Seyeon. He didn’t want to let outer circumstances affect their relationship in a bad way. If people disapproved, let them; he would stay by her side regardless of anything.
 
Renewing his resolve, he smiled as he thought of his girlfriend all the way up to his apartment.
 
~~
 
“Joonmyeon! I’m here!” Yoorim exclaimed as she opened the door to his hospital room.
 
She had her arms full of food, and her boyfriend greeted her with a big smile.
 
“I brought your favorite ddukboki,” she said as she came near, “and sundae.”
 
“How’d the game go?” he asked as she set out the food on the movable table on top of the bed.
 
Yoorim chuckled. “Of course, that would be the first thing you ask.” She briefed him on the events of the day and the game itself. He was surprised to hear of the fire alarm incident and delighted to hear their school’s team had won.
 
“That’s our first win in three years. And Minseok’s shoot at the end sounds so epic. If only I was there to see it,” Joonmyeon said wistfully.
 
“Yeah, and risk your injury worsening?” Yoorim raised an eyebrow disapprovingly.
 
He waved off her concern and picked up his chopsticks to eat. “I’m just saying.” He popped a mouthful of the food into his mouth and gestured for her to eat too.
 
She told him she already ate and stared at him eating with a smile on her face. Picking up a napkin, she wiped off some of the sauce on the side of his lips and asked, “How’s your ankle?”
 
Swallowing, he answered, “The doctor said if I rest a lot, there’ll be no serious relapse. Then I can go back to soccer and-“
 
Yoorim stuffed a piece of sundae into his mouth to shush him. “Why don’t you focus on the resting part for now? And make sure to rest deeply. Don’t just pretend you’re fine because you want to play soccer, okay?” She gave him a firm look as she wiped his mouth again.
 
“When did you turn into my mom, Yoorim? She said the exact same thing.” Amused, he shook his head as his chopsticks searched for a fish cake in the ddukboki.
 
She picked up her own chopsticks and picked one up to hold it out to him. “I’m just worried. What if your ankle gets worse?”
 
Joonmyeon took the food from her chopsticks with his own and replied with an assuring smile, “Okay, okay. Since the two most important women in my life tell me to, I’ll rest until my ankle is fully healed. Happy?” He popped the fish cake into his mouth with a cheeky grin.
 
A smile cracked her serious face, and she nodded.
 
They chatted about various stuff, and Yoorim was genuinely glad to see Joonmyeon taking his injury in stride. She had thought he would fall into depression from not being able to play soccer, but as they talked, she found he was taking up other hobbies he could do while sitting down.
 
She burst out laughing when he told her he was thinking of taking up knitting.
 
“What? It’s a very useful skill to have, and I can donate what I make,” defended Joonmyeon.
 
Yoorim struggled to control her laughter as she said, “I know, it’s just-“ she took in a deep breath to calm herself, “It’s just unexpected coming from you. I thought you would take up gaming or something. Imagine what your fan club would say if they knew.” She burst out laughing again.
 
“Don’t tell anyone; it was just an idea,” he sulked, and looked so cute that Yoorim wanted to pat his head.
 
“I was just teasing, Joonmyeon. I think it’s a good idea. I suggest you take it up.” She nodded at him with a genuine smile.
 
When it was time to leave, she gave him a hug, telling him she would visit tomorrow, and the couple parted for the night. In the elevator, Yoorim replayed her conversation with Joonmyeon and smiled again in amusement. Her boyfriend could be too adorable sometimes.
 
She stepped out of the elevator and started on her way home, already thinking of what she should bring on her next visit.