Reflection

I'll Be Jekyll, You Be Hyde

"Get me out of this thing! Get me out!" Trying desperately to remove the heavy white dress off herself, relief came after what seemed like ages. The younger girl hastily tore open the zipper of the huge gown with her scisssors until it slid lifelessly onto the wood, dropping the tool to pull the older into a hug. Makeup filled tears dripped down her porcelain-like skin with each silent cry.

"Byul, you'll be alright. Shhh, I've got you." Continuing to comfort the woman in distress, the younger only grapsed her tighter and offered more solace filled words, "It's okay to cry Byul, I'm here. He wasn't worth it..."

 

 

She shook the miserable memory from her already cramped mind, the photographer proceeded to point the camera at the overjoyed couple in front of her. The woman sported a white dress, quite similar to the one she wore that day so many months ago, and the man had on a smiple black tuxedo. It was all too familiar, and yet, the girl holding the camera kept her composure rock solid. This was certainly not the time nor the place for a meltdown to occur, not again. Well, she wasn't exactly sure there was ever a right time to have a meltdown and try to stab someone with a fork.

"Ready? One, Two, Three." In the monotoned expression she had been using since the moment the wedding began, the camera clicked, flashed, and the beeped signaled it was finished. "Those were exquisite photos, I'll get them to you in the mail, and it'll take about two to three weeks. Congratulations again." As much as she tried, she knew her voice sounded nothing but lifeless and didn't in the least bit match the happy words she spoke.

"Thank you so much Byul. I know it must've been hard for you to take this wedding and I just wanted to tell you how much we both appreciate you doing this. How is the treatment going? Has Sehun talked to you yet? Whatever you need, I'm here for you." The bride's smile faded for the first time the whole day and she looked into the eyes of her friend, attempting to hug her. Byul on the other, didn't want to A) Hug anyone or even be touched and B) Answer qustions of something she lied about going to. Doing the thing she knew how to do best, Byul avoided both and backed away from the gesture. Her cart was just a few feet away, she was so close to being able to leave. So she checked all her equipment, locked the cases, and whishpered something incoherently. Being around all these happy, thankful, smiling people was causing her to get hot and nervous. All eyes were on her, and it was as if each pair was burning hotter and hotter as the stares continued. Mumbling a few words to the bride, Byul put the last case atop her precariously stacked cart and took off at an urgent pace, shoving her cart towards the nearest escape route (which she had mapped out before the wedding). In the hallway, the rain was visible through the large, transparent windows, each individual droplet sticking frantically. She made her way down the hallway, trying to run away from the thoughts about her own "wedding". But something stopped her abruptly, Byul had just managed to get a glimpse of herself in the window.

It wasn't her. The person that looked back at her, blinking their eyes every time she performed the same action, closely resembled a zombie. Eyes dead that were surrounded by almost black circles, face pale, and lips looking decorated with fresh blood. That reflection didn't look like her, but Byul knew it was. It was what she had become. The mix of sleep deprivation, anxiesty pills that kill you will to even get out bed (the reason she stopped taking them), and just a plain hint of untouched self pity was what stared her down in the water stained reflection. Even though it was in fact her own reflection in that window, the reflection seemed to be judging her. And she didn't blame it (her?). Everyone who saw Byul, if they knew her or not, was judging her. She didn't even need to be having an episode, they all just glared at her without having the slightest knowledge of the life she lived.

Finally she arrived at her car, the rain already soaked her hair and jacket. Byul loaded the supplies into the truck, hopped in the front seat and just rested her head against the steering wheel. Exhaustion hit her like a train, but then again she was tired 24/7. Sleep actually at night was unheard in Byul's world. Minutes passed slowly, and Byul eventually stripped the sopping wet jacket off her skin and set it on the floor of the passenger seat with various other items. With the jacket now on the floor, the bruises on her shoulders and around her collarbones were visable. A buzz snapped Byul out of her trance, pulling her attention away from the purple and blackish spots blotting her skin.

"Byul-hee, what is it? I'll be home soon and I'll make you dinner." Byul spoke gentely into the receiver, not wanting to scare or possibly worry her baby sister. She prayed that the girl on the other end wasn't going to say what she was almost positive she was going to say.

"It's not that Yullie. You know what I'm going to say. Oh Sehun showed up again. Yul, you know how hard it is for him to leave home, and he just wants to talk to you! It seems like when you talk to him, even for a day, you seem some what better. You quit clawing at your shoulders, you get at least two hours of sleep. Byul, please talk to him. He's still here and I seriously think the least you could do is make dinner and offer him some." Byul-hee sounded stressed out and Byul knew she was more than likely ruffling her hair, just like their mother used to do. Byul-hee was the spitting image of their mother, and in Byul's eyes, acted just like her.

"Byul-hee, I-I-" Byul slammed her head back and screamed, "What does he want from me?! How can the man I tried to stab with a fork make me better?! Sure it was an accident and I truely don't remember almost all of the details. But you would think that he'd get scared away. Everyone has since the breakdown." That last sentance she said quieter than the previous. It was true. After the "wedding", everyone was unsure of how to talk to her or even just sit with her. It was almost as if she had become some ailen everyone was unsure of how to deal with.

"Byul, just please. I want him to stop coming around. My friends get weirder out and honestly I don't know how I am supposed to talk to him. So please, Yullie, just get some food and hurry home. Do it for me, please?" Byul nodded, hung up the phone, then let out an exhausted cry mixed with frustration. She knew she had to see him, and as long as Sehun didn't try to touch her, there wouldn't be a repeat of her first major episode.

 

 

"Hey Byul, Oh Sehun is here to see you again. I think it's best you get out of bed. Byul, I think it's time you take a shower, eat a real meal, or just go take a walk outside." Byul-hee cracked the door open the door, light spilling into it. After a few moments, the door opened a little more, just enough to allow the skinny boy to enter. He walked further into the pitch black room, stretching his lengthy arms out to find the bed, which he soon sat down on. All the blinds were closed, and it took Sehun a few moments to make out the figure lying beneth the sheets.

"Byul, Byul please. I miss you." Speaking softly, the figure in the bed didn't even stir, "You're making me better, and when you're around, I'm happy and quit worrying about everything. Don't leave me, don't slip away from me please! Byul, I've started to love you, and I don't want to loose you already. Change is scary, but I'll be here holding your hand every step of the way." With that, Oh Sehun grasped the hand of the unrespondant woman in the bed. It happened in almost a spilt second, so fast that none of it could regisister in Sehun's mind. Byul had subconsciously cluchted the fork on the empty plate set on the nighstand, raised it, then flung her hand down to put the fork in the boy's. She had only missed by a few inches, but it was enough space for Sehun to yank his hand away.