Chapter 24

Odd Housemate
Please log in to read the full chapter


Xiao Lei immediately stepped back upon realizing how close she was to Lu Han. She had also never expected him to be there that’s why seeing him was a big surprise and ended up traumatizing the woman.


“What are you doing here?” she asked and being obvious with her stuttering.


“Well…I…used to live here.” Lu Han thought of an excuse. He wanted to be perfectly honest with her and his feelings, to confess everything, but she seemed like she was kind of disappointed with the unexpected meeting. Lu Han had been taking care of the house as soon as he came back. He made sure that everything’s clean and being taken care of and he only hoped that they would cross path at the said place but never expected it to happen.


“Well this is my house.” She rebutted and almost implied that no one should step inside the house without her permission. Even without saying anything, Lu Han understood what she meant and nodded in defeat, respecting her property and her decision.


“I was just taking care of this place…but okay, I understand…I’ll just leave then…” Lu Han regretfully turned back, ready to leave her home, until he heard him call his name.


“Lu Han, why did you leave?” she suddenly asked. He was caught off guard yet remained calm under the sudden situation he’s going through.


“I can’t…I’m sorry.” he shook his head.


“Just stop saying sorry and stop saying you can’t tell me because we both know that’s bull!” She was frustrated that she’s being kept in the dark even though she already knows something. She composed herself after her outrage before she continued speaking. “I know it already but I want to hear it from you. Please…”


“You know? H-h-how?”


“When you got drunk, you told me you promised my father, that you had no choice, that you’re sorry…” she spoke softly as Lu Han suddenly kept quiet. He knew that there will be a time that she’ll know everything yet he wasn’t ready to tell her the truth. Sighing, he mentally prepared for the confession.


“I asked your father to save you and he asked for you in return. He told me that he’ll take care of everything, even my family’s business, as long as I do what he asked me to do. I was sent abroad to study business and that I am not to come back until I finish it. I didn’t want to tell you for you might think I’m doing this for my own good only.”


“Is that what you really think of me?” she shrieked in disbelief. She never judged Lu Han for his decisions and if she only knew from the start that that was his reason, she could’ve just waited for him patiently or even run after him. Yet, even her father made her believe that it was all Lu Han’s fault and that it was his own choice to leave without a word.


“No, no, I didn’t mean that but…” he sighed, trying to think of the right words to explain and not hurt her feelings even more. “Our family’s business is also crumbling down that time and at the same time, I wanted to save you. I was helpless, I had no choice. I was too scared to lose you. I'd rather see you alive than to lose you forever.”


“But have you thought of contacting me? Have you ever thought of maybe sending a message like ‘Hey, let’s break up. Bye’. Anything? Lu Han, I tried everything to find you and when I finally did, you don’t seem to be so hurt like I do. I have given up and acted like a puppet to my father since I don’t see the point anymore. You weren’t there to fight with me.”


“I was scared that if I try to keep in touch with you, I’ll fail my mission and just come running to you. I can't even dare contact anyone but your father. I just thought that I need to finish as soon as possible and that I should even excel so that anyone won't say a thing about me. I was only pretending to be strong...I have to...that's all because I want to see you again."


At that point, Lu Han started crying his heart out. He was suddenly remembering his regrets. He once again felt so lonely with no one by his side, all alone in a foreign place. He worked so hard to shorten his stay and just to see her again but he only fooled himself that she's going to accept himself easily.


“That's all that I need to know...for now.”


“Do you believe me? I am telling you the truth, please trust me.”


Lu Han had even tried to kneel in front of her but she was quick to take action and stopped him from doing so. Without saying a word, she nodded with a sad smile, making the man jump forward in happiness and hugged her tightly. She finally understood how much he sacrificed for her and she doesn’t event think she could do such a thing.


“Thank you for telling the truth.” she told him which comforted Lu Han and eased all the pain away. He hadn't stopped crying but they both know that he's now releasing happy tears.


“I look crazy, don't I?” Lu Han laughed as he wiped his unstoppable tears away. Xiao Lei genuinely smiled while nodding and she even helped him wipe his tears. “Am I…am I…forgiven?”


“Of course.”


“But…I am more amazed that you’re not crying. I guess the tough Xiao Lei I know is totally back.”


“Nah, I already emptied my eyes out three years ago.” He suddenly lowered his head and turned quiet. “Totally not worth it ‘cause I look like an insensitive person right now…”


Lu Han chuckled and observed her face carefully. She really wasn’t crying nor there was a hint of emotional tears, yet her eyes and subtle actions say it all. Her eyes never left him, showing appreciation, understanding, and even forgiveness, as her hands held him tightly, not wanting to let go any moment soon. Closing the gap between them, he once again held her in his arms, planting a chaste kiss on her forehead. It was all sweetness and warmth until her phone rang continuously followed by an urgent text message.


“Tao said that Papa’s already looking for me…”                                                                                            


“Let me take you home.” She hesitated for she doesn’t even know if her father would like the idea of them being together but said yes anyway, thinking that the short drive could patch things up or make things a lot clearer…but none of it happened. Silence enveloped them yet neither felt awkward nor uncomfortable. It was a relaxing silence which became a good thing since they had time to absorb things on their mind.


“Wouldn’t you ask why they’re looking for me?” she broke the silence between them and Lu Han glanced at her with a confused expression. “They’r

Please log in to read the full chapter