1

The Kimchi

“What are you saying?” Jongdae laughs out loud, grinning from ear to ear as he walks with Minseok, up the steps into his house.

 

“I’m not saying anything! Yixing, that foreign exchange student, said it!” 

 

“I’m not like that!” Jongdae continues to protest as they enter the household, slipping off their shoes and Minseok dropping slippers in front of him. 

 

“Sure, sure! Eomma, I’m home! Jongdae’s over!” Mines calls out, looking into the kitchen with a smile on his face. 

 

“Jongdae?”

 

The voice was a much higher pitch than Minseok’s mother. Curious, Jongdae attempts to head into the kitchen to see who it is. However, before he could, Minseok was already attempting to push him out the door.

 

“Whoops! He just remembered that he has something to do today!” Minseok yells, attempting to force Jongdae out of his household. However, the younger man was holding onto the side of the doors, looking back at his friend.

 

“Yah! What are you doing!?” Jongdae cries out.

 

“Ah, wait! Mom said something about giving him the extra kimchi!” 

 

Jongdae attempts to look over Minseok’s shoulder, but the elder’s hand comes into view, pushing on his face.

 

“O-Oppa… What are you doing?”

 

“Nothing, Hwasoon! Just go back in the kitchen, oppa wants some ramen!”

 

“Dammit, Min, what are you doing!?” Jongdae manages squirm out of Minseok’s hold, stepping outside before heading back in. His once narrowed eyes instantly widen, seeing the girl standing by the steps of the door way, holding a container of what he assumed was the kimchi she was talking about. 

 

She looked like Minseok, with those similar cat-like features and small lips. Her eyebrows were on the thick side, but cleans and properly groomed. Her black hair was curled against her shoulders, softly framing her face, giving her the feminine essence that easily told him that this is Minseok’s little sister.

 

“Okay! Didn’t you have somewhere to go!?” Minseok yells, snapping Jongdae out of the spell the young girl put him in as Minseok grabs his collar, proceeding to throw him out of the house. She watches the young girl walk over to them, her feet padding against the hardwood floor.

 

“Oppa, the kimchi!”

 

Jongdae was finally forced out of the household, Minseok opening the door briefly to shove the container of kimchi in Jongdae’s hands, followed by a click of the front door locking in front of him.

 


 

“Oppa, that was Jongdae?” Hwasoon asks her older brother, following him into the kitchen once he finally settles down.

 

“Yeah—,” He snaps his head at her, looking down at the expression on her face, her pale face presenting pink cheeks, and shy eyes. He looks up at the ceiling turning away from her, letting out a sigh, “oh no…”