Part one

Of Yesterday and Too Much To Say

When Hyuna announced her decision to depart for a dance academy in London during a company meeting, it was a surprise for her labelmates. But it came as a shock to only Junhyung.
 
He wasn’t surprised in the least bit, but very much shocked. And also enraged (at himself) and guilty (to her).
 
His groupmates glanced at him, an ominous look lacing their happy and congratulatory smiles and gestures for Hyuna. The 4minute girls already had a premonition that she’d leave either sooner or later to pursue this rare opportunity.
 
Only Junhyung couldn’t wear a smile to congratulate her. He did neither of those, instead exiting the conference room to take a few deep breaths.
 
Though her decision did come as a shock to him, he knew that when the news of his relationship with Goo Hara was released, it would create an impact on Hyuna in unimaginable ways. He just didn’t see that it would cause her to leave… the country.
 
He wished he could tell her that he felt absolutely nothing for Hara, and the whole dating saga was created by the executives of their companies. In fact, Hara would very much want to come clean as well, because if she did, she would still have been able to keep her friendship with Seungri. Or whatever it was between her and Big Bang’s maknae.
 
Sighing, he ran his hand through his hair, tousling it up. Yoseob left the room on the pretext of going to the restroom and found himself inches away from Junhyung. “Are you okay?”
 
“I hope so.”
 
“Look, she’s just going away to further her studies. She’ll become a better dancer and come back to shake the industry. That’s good, right? So congratulate her, okay?”
 
“I will. Just not now.”
 
“You should hurry, then. She said she’s leaving in a week.”
 
Junhyung fell silent for a while before staring at the door of the conference room. “I’ll congratulate her tomorrow.”
 
Yoseob left Junhyung’s side with a nod and the latter resumed thinking.
 
He knew that Hyuna could very much be leaving Korea because of him. He knew that he broke Hyuna’s heart, as much as he would never want to. He knew that Hyuna could possibly hate him for life now. He knew that anything between them was irreparable, from the feelings they had even after their own break-up to their perfectly platonic friendship that manifested after their break-up.
 
He wished that he could turn back time and fulfill the promise of never leaving Hyuna.
 
But there was no going back to the yesterday, and that’s exactly what Hyuna said to him after the news of him dating Hara got out. Those were her last words to him, and they haven’t spoken since.
 
Junhyung had wanted to speak to her to clear the mess between them, but he couldn’t bring himself to.
 
And then, the week had passed, and he still had not delivered the congratulation to her.
 
= = =
 
Please don’t go.
 
= = =
 
The day of Hyuna’s departure, Junhyung found himself in the Cube company as early as 6 in the morning. He waited in the lobby until the girl came strutting out, exhaustion evident with the lack of a bounce that usually laced her every step. She had her sunglasses on despite the sky being as dark as her leather boots were. She held on to a duffel bag tightly with an official Cube document in the other hand. As she continued walking through the lobby, she noticed the lone figure in the huge lobby. She froze, trying to come to a decision as to whether she should go towards him or not.
 
Because, for all she knew, it could break her resilience to leave.
 
“Hyuna,” he called out. He took careful steps towards her. “Let me bring you to the airport.”
 
“I’m going to the train station. I’m visiting my grandmother first.”
 
“Then let me bring you to the train station.”
 
“I can take a taxi.”
 
“But I want to.”
 
They were both silent. There were a lot of things both still wanted to do with the other, but if they were in this state, nothing would ever be accomplished.
 
Broken, not as one. Irreparably so.
 
Moments later, she found herself in the front passenger’s seat, a good thirty centimeters away from him.
 
“Thanks,” she muttered, when the car ride got a bit too quiet. He turned ten degrees to her side but failed to say anything, glancing at her fleetingly with his peripheral vision. You’re welcome. So please don’t go.