Happy Birthday, Zitao

Happy Birthday, Zitao

Ding!

A notification lights up his phone. It's a notification from Weibo, wishing him a happy birthday.

"Oh, it's my birthday today?" Zitao mumbled as he sat up straight, putting his latest script for his next action movie aside as he stretched himself.

"And I've spent like, what, six hours reading the script? Time is certainly passing quickly." he muttered to himself, getting up from the comfort of his bed to get to his kitchen for some food.

"Tsk, I must be so hungry that I'm actually smelling pizza in my house when I don't have any?" Zitao sneered at himself as he opened his bedroom door, wanting to proceed to his kitchen from the living room.

"Hurry up, Sehun! We need to get in as soon as possible! Why are you even having difficulties lighting up the candles-- oh! Tao!" Jongdae suddenly stopped as he looked up to see Zitao, clad in a simple white wifebeater with grey sweatpants hanging loosely on his hips and standing infront of his bedroom door in disbelief.

"Now now, be a good boy and pretend you saw nothing okay? Go back into your room and do whatever you were doing until we are done! See you!" Joonmyun said hurriedly, pushing the still-shocked Zitao back into his room while the rest of the members get back into preparation, rushing even more now that Zitao already somewhat saw the plan.

Zitao faced his bedroom door, his mouth agape. He's still in shock from what he just saw.

EXO was there, in his humble home, in China.

Everyone was there. Yifan, Luhan, Minseok, Joonmyeon, Yixing, Jongdae, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Jongin, Kyungsoo and Sehun, were all present, each doing their own part in the preparation for his birthday surprise.

Back in the days when they were still promoting in a group, in Korea and China, having these kind of birthday surprises at midnight weren't surprising or shocking since it became more of a habit and a "ritual" thing; when the members' did it for each other on their birthdays in the cramped EXO dorm.

But now?

It came as a shock. It's the year 2025. It's been 13 years since they had debut as a group, and many things happened, and slowly, everyone started finding new paths, new careers and new motivations.

Which means, they slowly lost contact as well. After all, it's been such a long time, and everyone was in different parts of the world. Despite being in the same country as a few others, he never, or rarely ever saw them-- the country was so big and coincidences, sadly, wasn't his luck.

Zitao was overwhelmed with feelings. Feelings that he thought he would never feel again, since the last time EXO promoted as a group. He never thought that EXO would come together to meet up again. Everything felt so unreal for him.

Knock knock knock! The rapid knockings on his bedroom door snapped Zitao out of his thoughts, quickly adjusting himself again. He should feel happy.

And he is. Zitao turned the doorknob, to see Jongdae holding up a cake, a chocolate cake with strawberries on top, decorated with a cute rainbow candle, and number candles that stated his age that year.

They still remembered his favorite cake flavor.

"祝你生日快乐,祝你生日快乐,祝子韬生日快乐,祝你生日快乐 !(happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Zitao, happy birthday to you!)" the eleven members sang together in Chinese, with Baekhyun and Chanyeol even harmonizing playfully at the end of the song.

"Hurry and blow out the candles!! Oh, and make a wish!" Someone in the back said, over the loud voices of the other members who were busy giving their own wishes to Zitao. He made that voice out to be Luhan's.

Zitao closed his eyes and clasped his hands together with his head bowed down and made a wish. He already knew what he wanted. He opened his eyes again, and blew out all the candles, and everyone broke out into a cheer.

They then ushered Zitao into his living room, for him to be even more wow-ed then he already is. It was fully decorated; from hanging wall banners of "Happy birthday, Tao!" to handheld banners of himself.

It was the banners that EXO collected from the fans during their promotion and concerts. They kept it for a long time, for memory's sake. Zitao never knew that they kept it up to this day, though, and obviously never thought that they would use it for a day like this.

"Honestly? I wonder how you didn't realise that 11 grown men were in your house since like what, 10pm, trying to be all perfect and quiet in setting up all these..." Yifan casually commented, munching on a piece of cake.

"Yeah, I wonder too. I guess I must have been too absorbed in the script reading." Zitao replied, looking around his living room again.

"This is all too much for me to take in, actually. I can't believe that all of you are here now.." he drifted off, looking at all the members who have now stopped eating, and are staring at Zitao after his sudden emotional words.

Zitao took in a deep breath. "It's been a long time since we started as EXO. It's been 13 years since we debuted, actually. And all those time spent together, as trainees and as group members, after so long, I still can't forget about the memories. I honestly thought that after we found what we all wanted to do, we won't be EXO anymore. I thought, we won't ever come together as one again. The years passed but I can't stop thinking of how much blood, sweat and tears we shed together, and of course the fun together. I'm just.. just too overwhelmed with my feelings now, that I can't put my words together.." a tear rolled down his cheeks, and he hastily wiped it off, hoping the rest didn't catch it.

"I'm sorry, that.. that was what I wanted to say for a very long time. I hesitated on creating a group on social media chat.. I was afraid that all of you didn't feel the same. I-- I miss all of you guys." Zitao broke down, all of his emotions finally piling up till his breaking point.

Zitao only knew there was this small part in him that really wanted EXO to come together as one again, but he never knew that this little event to surprise him on his birthday would trigger up so many emotions in him.

"Ahem," Baekhyun cleared his throat, interrupting the now solemn and down atmosphere.

"I guess I get your point. I mean, we all do right? No matter how long it has been since we've last promoted as EXO, we all know that we are still one, right? It's the same with me as well. I go around singing OSTs for dramas, making cameos, all remind me of our EXO days. Trust me, you're not the only one that wants all of us back together."  Baekhyun continued, mildly surprising the rest of the members.

"Wow, Baek. What happened to you after a few years? You seem so.. different." Jongin commented.

"Yeah, you seem so wise now." Sehun continued, nodding his head in agreement with Jongin's comment.

"I know. And, thanks for ruining the atmosphere. And my image." Baekhyun said sassily, rolling his eyes, making the previously teary-eyed Zitao break out into a light giggle.

"Yeah, and I'm glad. Everyone's still the same, thank you all.. for this surprise, too." Zitao continued, wiping his tears away, finally smiling widely.

"Great! Now, shall we get the party started?" Chanyeol loudly said, holding up bottles of soju he had brought.

The twelve boys had a bit of drinks, and a few talks here and there about their current lives and what they are doing. All was well until Jongdae suggested to reminisce about their active EXO days, when they are performing.

Everyone stopped in their tracks and looked at Jongdae. They were skeptical about that, taking in mind that Zitao actually cried over that matter previously. But they were met with a surprising "Yeah! Let's do it!" from a very happy Zitao.

Not shockingly, Jongin was the one that was still the best at dancing and remembering the dance steps. Even in Zitao's spacious living room, the members still tripped over one another and bickered that they were correct in their steps, and that "they hadn't lost it".

Taking a break, Zitao went into his kitchen to get some water while he looked out at the group of eleven boys. This picture was exactly like a few years ago, in a practice room, after many tries of practicing to perfect their dance routine for their comeback.

They were all sprawled on each other; their sticky bodies coming into contact occasionally (with Minseok's yelp of disgust whenever Baekhyun moves closer to him) and their chests heaving up and down from exhaust.

Zitao smiled at the sight, looking down when he felt a furry creature at his toes. Candy.

He bent down to reach its height, patting Candy's head before hoisting her up into his lap, saying, "Candy-yah, you remember them right? That's why you didn't bark when they entered? Do you miss them like I do, too?"

And as if Candy understood, she Zitao's right cheek playfully. "I guess that's a yes. We're blessed to have them back together, aren't we?" he snuggled her closer before putting her down, to do his rightful "job" of getting water for his hyungs as the maknae of EXO-M at least.

After the short water break the twelve boys had, they went on to continue dancing. Although it had been a long break; years; since they practiced or danced, they still remembered every little single step, though there was a little confusion here and there. It was the little things that counted, after all.

Zitao has never had so much fun in years, and he knows he isn't the only one that felt this way.

 It just feels so right to have the whole group together again, be it when they are already walking different paths, or when they were still promoting as one.

"I'm so so sooooo tired! I don't want to go home!" Jongdae whined, sprawling out on all fours on his back as he wiggled around, as if making a snow-angel.

"You mean, my home?" Yixing said, squatting down while brushing his hair that was stuck to his sweaty forehead aside.

"Yeah, yeah. Your home. Whatever it is, I just don't want to move anymore! I've never been this tired in years!" Jongdae whined once again, this time kicking his legs at the person infront of him.

"Stop it! I'm tired too, I can't be bothered anymore. I'm sleeping here." Sehun shrugged, moving into a comfier spot that was away from Jongdae's extreme flailing of his limbs before falling asleep quickly.

"Oh.. Yeah, you guys should stay! We can have another day together tomorrow too! I'll get you pillows and blankets!" Zitao hurriedly caught on, rushing to his guest bedroom to retrieve the stuff.

Handing it over to the very exhausted boys, they immediately dozed off like dead dolls. It was definitely a huge workout for them as well.

Walking over to dim the lights, Zitao heard a soft whisper of "EXO saranghaja" coming from amongst the boys, and he smiled.

"Yeah, EXO saranghaja. Thank you all." he quietly whispered before making his way to join the mess on the floor, instead of his comfy bed in the room.

Because they were finally together, as one.

And I guess my wish came true afterall. Zitao thought to himself as he snuggled close to the boys.

 

 

 



A/N:

Hi!! I hope I didn't disappoint with this. Whilst writing this, I felt like I kept dragging on the story and repeating stuff. I don't think I'm bringing out the emotions and things like that right... Also, to clarify, this happens in the year 2025 (in case you missed that part out, which you shouldn't because this whole oneshot is set in the year 2025), where EXO isn't promoting as a group anymore. Everyone is doing their own stuff in different countries and such. I actually wanted to reveal what I had in mind for their careers though but I thought I should leave it for another fic HAHAHA. I have limited ideas, pls don't blame me.

Candy is Tao's puppy. I think it's a female, I can't really remember (pls enlighten me in the comments?) and I thought it was good to add Candy in this. So there you go! If this goes on, I think I'm going to do a "Happy Birthday, -member-" oneshot for each of their birthdays from now on (if I get inspired....or something.) So you could say this was also strongly inspired by Happy Birthday, Luhan I guess.

In the meantime, do take a look at my other fic (which I really really intended to write today, instead of this) titled Fangirl Wife, and yes, I'm doing a shameless promotion.... hahahaha. Thanks for reading!! I hope you enjoyed this fic, and, leave me lots of comments!! ^^

with love,

droolydae.