Chapter 7

SUBVERSION
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

KRIS WU YI FAN - THERE IS A PLACE (Play this to set the mood!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCqr1JoZLg

Without saying a word to each other, I followed quietly behind Kris`s trail, his tall frame was blocking the view of the path he was leading us to. The conversations and laughter that was echoing in my ears not too long ago were now gradually fading off into the distance as we walked further and further away from the dinner room. I was stopped a couple of times by engineers and scientists who congratulated me on my medal of honor tonight, but the conversation was short lived because Kris never stopped to wait for me. I could only reply with a quick thank you, before scurrying after him.

Kris was a very determined person. Once he knew his destination, he never looked back to check on others. If they were with him, they would be behind him. Otherwise, if you lost him, you lost him, that was it.

I could feel the heel on my foot began to tire out, but knowing that Kris was not going to slow down his pace for me, I quickened my strides to match his.

Perhaps I was tired, but the usual fluorescent lights that we use at the training center appeared brighter than usual casting a certain gleam of shine on the top of Kris`s hair. I stared at him longingly, noticing how straight his back was. Everything about him showed off how manly and strong he was. He had confidence in himself, even I could see it. No one could deny the person that Kris was. He may be arrogant, often times rude and a strict leader, but he deserved that title after all that he had been put through. Just watching him walk, his movement so smooth and effortless, I couldn`t help but become mesmerized by his stature.

It wasn`t long until we came across the end of the hallway. There was a long, winding staircase that brought us to the tallest part of the training center. Of course we had the option of taking the elevator, but Kris hated elevators. He said it made people lazy, which is somewhat true because I don`t know anyone in the center who bothers with stairs aside from Kris.

The two of us ascended the stairs in silence until we reached the room. Kris poked a key through the hole. Once it made a click, he carefully turned the knob and opened the door. Before he could forget, he placed the key back into his pocket and flicked the lights on in the room.

I sauntered into the room, the scent of fresh pine and windex assaulted my nostrils.

This was the room where all the leaders came to at the end of their day after a long day of researching, training and hunting. They would discuss about the area where it held the most nightcrawlers population and how they were going to gather us as a group to hunt for the night. This was the area where they upheld meetings and map out a blueprint of everything that we did at the training center. I had only been in here once, yet it looked the same as it did the first time. Nothing had changed. There was a large mahogany oak table in the middle of the room, it was polished so well that I could even catch a glimpse of my reflection in it.

I would’ve looked longer, to see if my makeup had smudged, when across the room I noticed Kris standing in front of the tinted glass windows that overlooked the city. He had his hands behind his back as he surveyed the lost city, seeing nothing but emptiness and dim street lamps along the streets. I came up next to him, trying to appear casual.

I could see Wolf Tower, in all of its darkness, wondering how much Nightcrawlers must’ve resided in the building now. It used to be one of EXODUS most beloved towers, people came from all over the Universe to see this magnificent grand beast in all of its glory. As earthlings would’ve called it, EXODUS would’ve been the next Paris. 

“From here, the city looks beautiful as if nothing is wrong. It’s like everybody is fast asleep in their homes, dreaming peacefully in their beds without any care in the world.” said Kris, breaking the shroud of silence that had enveloped us for the last twenty minutes. His voice came out softer than he had wanted. He cleared his throated, and continued to stare out into the vast darkness of EXODUS. “I keep searching for them, hoping that they’d find their way to the village. But they are too smart.”

I looked at him, with a burning in my stomach. “Why would you want them to crash the party?”

“Not the party, but I want them to come here in general. I thought they’d be able to smell our scent, but I guess I’m wrong. I was hoping I'd get some hunting done tonight, but I guess not now.” Sighing, he rubbed his tired face gently and then looked at me with an earnest expression.

I was hoping that he had brought me here to personally congratulate me on the medal that I received tonight.

But I was wrong, and I knew I was going to be wrong anyways.

“You’re going to have to start waking up at 5am now, Mia. You do not need me to train you, but Heechul thought it would be best that I show you around the center before we can let you start leading the younger Hunters.” He faced me now, as he explained what was going to happen from now on.

Albeit calm and collective on the outside, on the inside I groaned in displeasure at the thought of waking up every day at 5am.

I could sense Kris studying my reaction, but when he saw that I had made none, he continued on, “Truthfully, Mia. I didn’t think you’d be ready to accept our proposition to become a leader.”

My eyes hardened at his words. “What do you mean? You have no faith in me or something?”

“It’s not that,” he shook his head and then sluggishly rolled his shoulders. “I just can’t imagine you leading yet. That’s all. There are times where you impress me, but there are also other times where I question if you are even ready to be a Hunter.”

There he goes again, talking down on me. He always thinks that I’m this vulnerable girl who’s afraid to fire her own shots and stab a nightcrawler in the back. But I am not that 15 year old Mia anymore. It’s been six years since then and I’m now 21, holding a high record of slaughtering a total of 568 nightcrawlers in less than a month after gaining my Hunters badge.

“Why can’t you just tell me I am good for once,” I muttered, lookin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter