Chapter 13

SUBVERSION
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Going home felt faster than it usually did. I returned home right before the sun was able to set for the night, bidding a hello and goodnight to the rising moon that was beginning to settle itself comfortably where the sun was hanging just minutes ago in the sky. Soon, the nightcrawlers will come out and begin their nightly feasting session. How many humans were left out here in Exodus? How many were stilling running for their lives and hoping that they would never get caught? I always ask myself these kinds of questions but there was never anybody who could help give me answer.

I touched my neck, and felt the steel lace that was attached to it. I pulled the string out and was greeted by a silver key. I stared at it for awhile, letting all of the memories and nostalgia hit me all over again. With a sigh, I twisted the key into the hole of the knob, and the door twisted open effortlessly. I glanced behind me, studying the vicinity before stepping into my house and locking the door behind me.

Despite our absence in our home, the house still smelt as if it was still being well cared for. The scent of fresh cedar wood and pine mixed with cinnamon still lingered in between the walls and the fabric of the couches. The first thing I did was turn on all the lights in the house, dimming it ever so slightly so that it wasn’t too bright to alert the Nightcrawlers attention, but not too dark to the point that if I were to read a book, I wouldn’t be able to see the words.

All of the boards that I had placed up were still intact and sturdy, showing no signs of any nightcrawlers attempting to break in. The house still felt warm and cozy just like how a home should feel like. The walls were a little bit faded and dusty, but nothing like a new paint job and some dusting work to pick it right back up. Minus all the wooden boards and the empty house, the house was in fairly good shape.

I went to the kitchen and rummaged through the fridge, to see what I can make. I didn’t really feel hungry at the center, but the moment I got home, my stomach was grumbling in pain from the hunger that I was suddenly feeling. There wasn’t much food in the fridge, and I had forgotten to make a stop at the marker in the center. There was only bread and expired cheese in the fridge, which I had no intention of eating. I was quite possibly one of the worst human beings in the world. I glanced down at my watch, noting that it was a quarter past nine.

“Mom, Dad, Gramps,” I said out loud, as if they were next to me. I clasped my hand together with a frown on my face, “Forgive me. I know you guys totally hate it when I steal, but I kind of have to today. I mean, technically it’s not stealing if I’m not being watched, right? Anyways, I’m doing this for you. Not me, so you guys can’t be mad.” I dimmed the lights even lower, and with one last look around the kitchen, I grabbed the flashlight on the table and left the house, making my way towards the nearest abandoned supermarket.  

The glass windows had long been smashed in and pieces of glass lay sprawled across the linoleum patterns. I didn’t need many things, only enough to make a suitable dinner to impress my family. I grabbed a couple of canned tunas, a jar of pickles, two bottles of 1L water and some apples. I pushed the cart to the checkout area, where there was still plentiful of plastic bags waiting for me. I packed it up and was on my way back home. It was hard to imagine that this had once been the most popular supermarket on Exodus.

I was making my way home when someone snatched the bag from my hand.

My body had processed what had happened before my mind did, because I had side swept kick the person and they dropped on the floor. I glared at the person, and their eyes were wide in surprise at what had just happened.

I snatched the bag from his hand and pulled out my machete to the young man’s throat. He had a head full of black hair and pursed lips on his face. He gulped, and tried to scramble away but I had my foot on his chest. “Who are you and what games are you trying to play with me?” Just as I edged the knife closer to his throat, three people appeared from the shadows and laughed. It wasn’t a friendly kind of laugh, but one that mocked the very ground that they walked on.

“Youngjae just got his kicked by a girl,” said the leader, a chuckle managing to escape a second time around. There two people flanked on his side, one with blonde hair and another male a little bit shorter than him with short brown hair.

My body suddenly tensed, seeing that I was surrounded by a bunch of rebels. I was clearly outmatched tonight.

“Don’t be afraid,” said the blonde one. He flashed me a small smile, which didn’t convince me at all. “We aren’t going to hurt you.”

“I know you aren’t, but that won’t stop me from hurting you.” When I edged my knife closer to the male, the leader placed his hand up as if to say, “Peace.”

I narrowed my eyes and pulled the boy named Youngjae up.I didn’t let go of him, instead, I held him close to my chest without letting the knife leave his throat.

“We know who you are, Mia,” said the leader who held out his hand in greeting. His eyes curved upwards as he grinned at me. I didn’t trust any of their phony act of friendliness. “My name is Jaebum, leader of the rebels. We just have a few questions for you and we’ll let you be on your way.”

“Whatever you have to say, ask it now,” I growled. If I hadn't been so annoyed wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter