Breakfast Together

My Husband is Gay

 

She opens the door and lets herself into the room surrounded by high bookshelves filled with many books reaching to the ceiling. On the other side of the room sat a diligent Myungsoo working on some documents by his desk with his laptop in front of him. Feeling ecstatic, at this instant, she was about to run into his embrace. However, she resists the urge to, because in these past few years she learned something called self-control. Not wanting to interrupt him and his work, Haeun silently heads toward the couch and sits down.  

 

It's been so long since Haeun last seen his handsome face. To Haeun, it felt like eternity. Watching him now, Haeun started tearing. This moment felt so surreal. It's too good to be true. She missed him so much; too much.

 

Not long after graduating from Woolim High four years ago, Myungsoo left to the United States along with Sungyeol to study at Harvard leaving Haeun behind. In order to focus on his studies, Myungsoo cuts all contact with his family and friends including Haeun.

 

Flashback to the Summer 4 years ago

 

In his bedroom, Myungsoo is packing the rest of his belongings as Haeun sits on his bedside staring attentively with a sad expression written all over her face.

"Can you not go?" Haeun asks the obvious.

Myungsoo lets out a deep sign. "Haeun, you know fully well that's not going to happen." Paused. "And you should understand."

Haeun looks down on the ground lowered her voice. "I know." Myungsoo's father has always had high expectations of Myungsoo. No matter how well he does in school, ranking at top 1 or at anything else, it's never good enough. There is only better. Never had his dad praised nor complimented him in anything he excels in. Always trying his best, Myungsoo wishes to gain his father's approval. Like Myungsoo, Haeun never opposes her father. She just wants her father to be happy and wishes to gain his attention.

"At least, bring me with you." Haeun begs pleadingly.

"No." Replying with a straight to the point answer from Myungsoo. He continues to pack his things.

"Wae? Let me go with you. I'll be good." She begs even more. Facing her, Myungsoo gives her the warning look that usually tells her to not make him repeat himself. She pouts. Myungsoo closes his luggage. "Done."

"What?! Already?" Haeun stared at the luggage. Maybe I should hide myself in there. "Hehe."  Or I'll just knock him out and lock him up and keep him to myself forever. She smirks. And shakes her head. That's illegal. Worst of all, Myungsoo may hate me and ignore me for good. "Hhmm…got to think of something else." She snaps her fingers and smirked. Ding. Ding. Ding. "That's it. I'm so brilliant." I'll just surprise him later on. Immersed in her train of thoughts, Haeun loses sight of Myungsoo. Coming back to reality, Haeun stands up and calls for Myungsoo to see if he may still be in the room. He's nowhere to be found nor is his luggage. Myungsoo, that pighead. Always leaving me behind. "Myungsoo, you pighead." Haeun mumbles to herself while kicking the ground.

A maid knocks on the bedroom door and walks into the room. "Young Miss Lee is still in here? Young Master told me to ask if young miss would like to eat breakfast with him before he leaves."

"Neh." Haeun beamed with a huge eye smile. "I'm coming!!!" She yelled at the top of her lungs from his bedroom hoping for him to hear it downstairs. The maid bows as Haeun hurried pass her.

From the second floor, Haeun ran down the stairs to the first floor. While waiting for Haeun, Myungsoo leaned by the stairway with his hands in his pockets.

"Up to your little schemes again. So what did you come up with this time?" Myungsoo raises an eyebrow.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Haeun exclaimed faking ignorance.

"You know what I'm talking about." He smirked.

"I do not know whatsoever."  Haeun folds her arms. And turns her face the other way, afraid that Myungsoo might see through her plans.

"Well, whatever you have stored up in the puny little brain of yours, don't bother." He said sternly.  

Haeun lowers her head and muttered. "mhmm." She smiles inwardly. Sure. Whatever you say. Hehehe.

Myungsoo arched an eyebrow looking at her with her back facing him. She's definitely up to something.

He reaches for her hand taking her by surprise. She blinks a few times trying to absorb what's happening. He pulls her along with him. She happily follows.

In the dining room, the maids and the butlers are awaiting for the arrival of the young master and young miss. Still hand in hand, Myungsoo and Haeun stepped into the dining hall together. The dining room is really huge with a long table that can fit two dozens of people. Surrounding the dining room are the big glass windows, opened red curtains with the sun illuminating light into the room making the room bright. And in the middle of the room hung a chandelier made of diamonds. As they're walking in, a maid and a butler pulled out two chairs across from each other for the young master and young miss. Myungsoo is about to let go of Haeun's hand to sit down, but Haeun does not let go.

"Haeun." He signals for her to let go. She smiles back at him. "I'll take the seat next to yours."

Comprehending the situation, a maid responds immediately by pulling out the seat next to Myungsoo's for Haeun.

When they're seated, the maids and butlers comes in with their breakfast freshly made and sets the food in front of them along with the silverware. "Please enjoy." The maids and butlers move back into their place.                

Myungsoo looks down at their hands, which are still intertwined and looks back at Haeun. “Aren’t you going to let go of hand?” He tries to wiggle his fingers out of Haeun’s tight grasp, but Haeun just wouldn’t let go. She shakes her head.

“Fine, suit yourself.” Myungsoo picks up his fork with his free right hand to begin his meal.

Haeun also happily picks up her fork. However, she realizes her right hand’s not free. How hard can it be to use a fork with my left hand? She shrugged and stared at Myungsoo who continues taking in his food while ignoring her.

Focusing back on her problem, she doesn’t want to let go of his hand. So she struggles to eat with her left hand the whole way through the meal.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Still hand in hand as they’re waiting outside by the limo for the servants to bring Myungsoo’s luggage out, Haeun rubs her growling stomach. Struggling to eat her meal before, Haeun didn’t eat enough to fill her stomach. When Myungsoo finished his food, he wouldn’t wait for her so she had no choice but to leave her meal half eaten.

I’m still hungry. Haeun frowned. Myungsoo glanced at her. “Moron.”

“Huh? Are you talking to me?” Haeun asked.

“Whom else would I be referring to?”

“Oh.” She nodded in agreement. Right, got to start practicing to use my left hand. With a determined look, she pumped her fist up. “Hwaiting.”

A few servants come out of the mansion with Myungsoo’s luggage. Carrying the heavy luggage, the servants brought the luggage down and placed them in the trunk of the limo. 

The head maid also comes out with Lychee, Myungsoo’s one-year-old dog.

Haeun’s eyes widened. She points her finger at Lychee. “What’s he doing here?”

“I’m bringing him along with me.” Myungsoo replies.

“What? You mean to America?” Haeun exclaimed.

“Yes, to America.”

“Why? That’s unfair. If he’s going, I’m coming too.”

“Lychee’s only one. He needs me.”

“Well, I’m only 18. I need you, too.” Haeun argued.

“Haeun, you’re a big girl now. Act like one.”

“But…” Haeun frowned.

“No buts or you’re not coming to the airport with us.”

“Fine.” Haeun grits her teeth giving in.

Myungsoo ruffles her hair. “Now that’s a good girl.” Haeun pouts.

Another car arrives behind the limo. The head maid passes Lychee over to a butler and they headed towards the car.

“Lychee will be taking a different car.” Myungsoo told Haeun.

Still upset, Haeun just nods her head. Hmmm, at least I get to spend alone time with Myungsoo I guess.

“Let’s go.” Myungsoo tugs onto Haeun’s hand to follow.  

The Chauffeur opens the door to the limo for the Young Master and Young Miss. Myungsoo heads in first. Haeun follow suit.

Without blinking an eye, Haeun keeps staring at Myungsoo. With her stare, she’s going to bore a hole in his handsome face.

Myungsoo signs and side glanced her. “Are you just going to stare at me during the whole entire ride?”

Haeun nods without taking her eyes off him. “Mhmmm. If I don’t look now, I won’t be able to see you for awhile.”

“Your eyes are going to get tired soon.” Myungsoo warned her.

Haeun shakes her head. “It’s not.”

“Fine, suit yourself.”

 

A few minutes later

 

A deafening sound is emitting throughout the car. The sound appears to be coming from a certain someone. Turning his head to his left, Myungsoo finds the origin of the sound; a snoring Haeun with her eyes wide opened constantly staring at him. Is she asleep? He looks at her weirdly. He waves his hands and snaps his finger in front of her face to check for a reaction. She snores even louder and some of her drool is sliding from the side of . Definitely, she is asleep. When did she learn to sleep with her eyes open? Weirded out by the way she’s sleeping and still staring at him, Myungsoo shuts her eyes. He takes out his handkerchief to wipe her drool and clamped shut. Finally, he moves her head onto his shoulder so she can sleep comfortably. Looking at the girl on his shoulders, he smiled. Weirdo, you never fail to surprise me.         

 

________________________________________________________________________  

 

An hour later

 

A luxurious black limo stops in front of the entrance at Incheon Airport. Inside the limo, seated in the passenger seats were two kids sleeping soundly, one head leaning on the other’s shoulder and one head on top of the other head. On their left side, the door opens. Since Myungsoo is a light sleeper, he woke up from it.

“Young master, young miss, we’ve arrived at the airport.” The chauffeur informed them.

Seeing that Haeun is still asleep, Myungsoo didn’t want to disrupt her nap. So he ordered the chauffeur to go ahead with his luggage first.  

 

________________________________________________________________________

 

Another hour later

 

Currently, seated at the waiting area inside the airport, Haeun has her eyes closed while her head is leaning against Myungsoo’s shoulder with her arms hooked around his.

Announcement: “Passengers for flight 117 to Massachusetts, USA, please arrive at the departure gate. Flight 117 will be departing in half an hour.”    

“I have to go.” Myungsoo tells Haeun.  

Haeun heard it. Fully awake now, Haeun bites her lips and straightens her head up, but she does not want to let go of him.

Unwilling to let go of him, still with her arms hooked around his, they got up. “I’ll walk you there.” She purposes. He nods as an agreement.

They walked towards the departure gate together. Midway, Myungsoo stopped. “Up to here is enough.” He turned to his side to face her. From his view, he can only see a saddened, teary-eyed Haeun. Myungsoo pokes Haeun’s forehead. “Yah, don’t you dare cry. I’m not dying. I’m going to be back.” Haeun looks up at Myungsoo and frowns. “I’ll miss you. A lot.”

Myungsoo ruffles her hair and smiles; the smile that always brightens her day. “I know. I’ll miss you, too. When I’m gone, don’t talk to yourself so often. Especially, outside, people may think you’re crazy. Always finish your meal. I know you hate milk, but you have to drink it or you won’t grow.”

Haeun giggles. “Yes, mother. I’ll try not to talk myself when I’m OUTSIDE. I would’ve finished my meal if someone ‘d WAITED for me today. But I can’t promise about the milk part. I’m 18. I don’t think I can grow anymore.” She wiggles her little fingers.

Myungsoo laughs. He ruffles her hair one last time. “Be good. I’ll see you soon.”  He lets go of her arms and started walking away.

Suddenly, it feels so empty and lonely. The warmth beside her is gone. Before she can even comprehend it, Haeun is already staring at his retreating back. She takes a step forward wanting to go after him. She didn’t.

Haeun just kept staring at his fading back. She smirked. “Yes, I’ll see you soon.”