Try Again

Try Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                   

 

"The number you have dialed is not in service, please try and call again"  That was the seventh time she had dialled the number.

Sitting on the edge of her bed in a black see-through blouse and blue denim jeans, Naeun fell backwards onto the fluffed mattress. Her disgruntled expression showing how annoyed she was that the girl on the other line was not picking up. It was a bad idea leaving some of her favorite novels over at Yeri's house. She had let the hyperactive best friend borrow them for a while now and she wanted them back as soon as possible. Knowing Yeri, she probably didn't even read a single one, when did this girl even have time to read books when she was busy with her love life or finding new adventures to go on.

 Naeun crawled into her inviting blankets which covered her bed, sighing as she went through her phone apps. Now that classes were over for the semester, her free time would probably be spent in this very space and sometimes outdoors painting the vivid sceneries she very much enjoyed doing. 

"Noona, honestly it doesn't take that long to grab a jacket." A boyish voice intercepted her thoughts as she groggily got up to find her leather jacket sprawled somewhere on her messy floor.

"Coming, coming."  She tiredly called out and zoomed out of her room because she knew the tantrum the boy could make would make her wish she was on a vacation in Saipan. How sweet would that be. She scoffed, In your dreams Son Naeun.

 

"Why do girls take so long to get ready, There should be a class for that." Jaehyun sarcastically uttered, while slinging his backpack over his shoulder. 

Naeun whacked the back of his head. "There should also be a class for learning to have patience." She replied back while ushering him out of the house.

Meet Son Jaehyun, 15 years old, quite handsome and snobbish at times. Not really a troublemaker nor was he overly done in the academics department. He was a typical boy and usually known to older sisters as brats. 

"So, Did you finally make up your mind?" Jaehyun asked for the eighth time this week. Looking up at his sister, searing for any form of sympathy and an answer that would put his state of mind to ease.

Naeun scowled at the recurring question and side eyed him.

She stuffed her cold hands into the pockets of her leather jacket. The sun had long been replaced by the clear chilly night. Little trickles of rain signalling the sign of oncoming rain.

"Jae, How many times will you ask the same question over and over again."

"As many times until you say yes." He confidently replied. Nudging Naeun so he could get a proper reply out of her. 

"Wait until mom and dad come back, I'm not responsible if something goes wrong okay." She smartly told him.

"Yeah but they won't even be here till next week, and the trip is this Friday Noona." He whined like a little school girl. 

Naeun turned to Jaehyun and gave him a ‘really now’ look.

 “Yeah, but it’s a trip with a girl and there are no chaperones around.” She pointed out.

“I’m 15 for pete’s sake! What could possibly go wrong?!” He questioned.

Naeun sighed as she thought of all the reasons a boy and a girl could not go on a trip alone especially when they were dating and practically fetuses in the realm of young love. She remembered back to the time when she was on her first field trip and two lovely souls had been caught together despite the restrictions between boys and girls sleeping in the same area.

 Of course, one of the souls was her. The story goes that they were ‘just’ sleeping together but it became a hot topic for the whole year round. She cringed at the memory but silently smiled at her rebellious days. 

“I don’t know Jae, I have to think about it.” She bit her tongue because she knew she was going to end up saying no in the end. 

Jaehyun grumbled on the side and left a big distance between the two of them. 

 

They were headed to Jaehyun’s final taekwondo match of the season. He had insisted on quitting taekwando since he couldn’t keep up with balancing his school work and his other activities that he was a part of. As far as Naeun could remember, both she and Jaehyun were top aces in the sport of Taekwondo. Their parents had enrolled them at a fairly young age and while Jaehyun kept his interest alive for the sport, Naeun soon gave up at the age of 15. However she was just as good as Jaehyun and could possibly take down any man that became physical with her.

“Jae!” a sweet voice called out first thing as they entered the newly furnished community center.

Her bright smile stuck to her face when she welcomed Jaehyun in her arms. Naeun smirked at Jaehyun’s blushing red face. er is so infatuated.

“Hi unni!” She bowed to Naeun with the same amount of adoration she gave to her brother.

Naeun waved at the girl, impressed at her bubbly attitude and mannerism. Kind of reminded her of herself when she was 15. Except now Naeun was more toned down, a little more sarcastic and not so much innocent. 

Ahri was the new addition in Jae's life. His first girlfriend and she was quite pretty. Jaehyun had brought her home one day and persuaded Naeun not to tell their parents but eventually word got around and it didn't cause a commotion like how Jae expected. Naeun really liked Ahri, she was sweet and cheerful but at the same time studious. She also loved how Ahri could control Jae sometimes, something only she could manage to. 

“I’ll go get ready for the finals with Ahri. You can wait in the main hall.” Jaehyun called out as he took hold of his girlfriend’s hand and hurried out of site.

Naeun just rolled her eyes at the show off. Jaehyun was the biggest show off in the world. If he wasn't showing off Ahri to the whole world then he was occupied showing off his beautiful noona on the days she would come to pick him up from his school. Of course, there would be total chaos because of the loud roars and chants of Son Naeun. She didn't care, she just smiled and bowed her way out of it. 

She took the time to examine her surroundings, taking note of how things had changed so much since she was last here. Ever since she had quit her training, she had rarely made appearances at Jaehyun’s tournaments or practices. The building had changed quite a bit. The wooden floors were now replaced with marble tiles and the ceiling held many tiny lights instead of the old chandelier which dangled every so often. The rails on the side were long gone. Those railings were the same ones that Naeun used to hold onto when she didn’t want to go in for training. She would hold onto it for dear life while leaving scratch marks into the wooden material. It was all a memory now, but a good one.

Leaving behind the memories of the past, Her heels directed her to the main hall where everyone has gathered. Her figure going unnoticed by rows of boys sitting in the front awaiting their turn in the finals. She managed to spot Jaehyun sitting somewhere in the middle all changed and ready to go about the finals. She smiled at how cute and dorky he looked. He wasn't exactly lean since he was still transitioning into adolescence but Naeun was proud of how fast he was growing up. Pretty soon, he would probably be taller than her. Call it sibling instinct when Jae caught Naeun looking his way, he waved at her and she gave him a two thumbs up. 

"Naeun-ah!" A thick voice called out from the crowd. She spotted the voice and a hand frantically waving at her to come over. 

"What are you doing here?" She questioned a long time friend Chanyeol while sitting down beside him.

"To support Jaehyun of course, can't miss his last match." His pearl white teeth showing as he flashed her a smile.

She nodded, not knowing what to say afterwards.

He always said his friends were hers, but she wasn't his anymore so how could she possibly keep in contact with them. 

Naeun peered towards Jaehyun's side, she couldn't really make out the figure that was talking to him because his hoodie was covering his head. Giving Jae a fist bump, the person flashed a smile and that made Naeun stop in her tracks. 

She could spot that smile anywhere. The question was, what was he doing here. 

"Actually Kai wanted to come but he didn't want to go alone. Looks like he really supports Jaehyun huh?" Chanyeol said.

Naeun didn't say anything. Her fingers curled, did he really have the right to be here. The tournament had nothing to do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter