Ten Letters for You (E)

Thantophobia [~]

 

Ha Young laid on her tummy on her queen-sized bed while humming to her favorite song as she flipped through a magazine. It was Saturday and she managed to be free that day but still, it wasn’t a good weekend for her after all since Suho wasn’t able to spend his time with her due to his pack schedule at the hospital.

 

She sat on her bed to stretch up before getting off from her bed and accidentally hit something with her foot.

 

Ha Young frowned to think that she never kept anything under the bed but it felt like she forgot about it. She bent down to look under the bed and found a medium-sized dark blue box placed and that made her to freeze for a moment.

 

She never thought she still kept the box that filled with many memories in the past. She hesitated to take it at first but her mind told her to do so. Slowly, her hand reached for it and pulled it out, blowing off the dust on the lid of the box.

 

Carefully, she took off the lid and her eyes were fixed with the things that were kept nicely in it, without being touched ever since she kept it in the past three years, ever since the accident happened.

 

There were a few pictures of hers and Kai were taken during their first date, school trip, graduation day back when they were in high school and on their birthdays. Ha Young took it as her eyes looked through each of the pictures.

 

She missed it.

 

She missed those moments that they had together and she never thought to forget it.

 

Her thumb rubbed on Kai's face in on the picture that they took on her 19thbirthday. His arm was wrapped around her shoulder, smiling widely. Tears rolled down on her cheeks to look at it. I miss you and your smiles, Jongin-ah.

 

Deep in her heart, she still remembered those sweet words that he said to her when they were deeply in love.

 

To her, no one was able to replace him in her heart. Even when she has engaged to Suho. She might be cruel for accepting Suho in the first place to be her fiance but thinking how Suho helped her a lot, it made her feel bad for not accepting him when he decided for an engagement between both of them.

 

I'm sorry, Jongin-ah.

 

By then, her eyes caught another thing in the box. There were a few letters that Kai gave to her, a few days before the accident happened. Ten letters were written by him and she grabbed it to look through the thing that he wrote on each of the envelopes with different colors.

 

Open when you receive this letter for the first time.

 

Open when you're missing me a lot.

 

Open when you're having a bad day.

 

Open when you're feeling like to cry.

 

Open when you’re feeling happy.

 

Open when you need to know how much I love you.

 

Open when you can't sleep.

 

Open when we're finally married.

 

Open when we have our first child.

 

Open when I'm no longer in this world.

 

Ha Young wiped away her tears on her cheeks and took the first letter. She pulled out the letter in it and started to read the first line even though when her heart started to beat so fast to imagine that it was like Kai talking to her.

 

Dear Ha Young,

 

I know this looks cheesy to be writing a letter for you. But, who cares? I'm doing this for you and no one else. I just thought to write a letter for you so that you'll be able to read it if you ever look at this. I'm sure you're smiling a lot when you're reading this letter and you're imagining myself talking to you.

 

Ha Young's tears were pooled in her eyes and she chuckled a bit as she read it. With then, she continued again reading the content in the letter.

 

Remember during our first met? You were acting so cold toward me when I wanted to approach you. You rejected to be my friend many times before I got the chance after helping you out from being bullied with those bad boys back when we were in high school. It was a great chance ever to be friend with someone like you. I was wrong in the first place for judging without knowing you more. But, I never realized that I fell hard for you. You're my first love, Ha Young-ah. It's funny to remember how I looked like an idiot to confess my feelings to you. Thanks for wanting to be my lover. I might not be a good boyfriend to you, but no matter what happens in the future, I will always love you. This first letter shouldn’t be this long. Sorry. It's alright. You're going to get annoyed with me in the next letter. Stay awesome and cool, my first love.

 

With love,

 

Kim Jongin.

 

Ha Young bit her bottom lip and tried hard not to cry. She knew, there must be a reason why everything happened in her life. Losing him was hard enough for her.

 

I want you to be here with me again, Kai.

 

---

 

Tae Joon scrolled through an inbox in his email before he clicked on one of the new message that he received. It was a reply from one of the companies in Seoul that he applied for a job. As he read through the content, a wide smile was carved on his face.

 

"Dad! Ji Eun!" He called after ran out from his room. He couldn’t hold his excitement anymore to know that he finally got a job and will be able to start on the next week. He went to the kitchen, only to see his father and Ji Eun were busy preparing something for their lunch.

 

"What's wrong Taeㅡ" His father couldn’t finish his words when his son wrapped his arms around the old man's shoulder, "I got a job!"

 

"Really?!" Ji Eun was completely surprised with the good news and put down a knife on a table. She went to her brother, looking disbelief along with her father.

 

"Are you serious?" Mr. Lee asked but still, he felt happy for him. Tae Joon nodded his head wildly, "Yeah. They sent me an email and I'll be starting next week on Monday. I'll be able to find money on my own after this, dad." He spoke.

 

Mr. Lee smiled even though he felt bad for a bit to remember that soon, Tae Joon might be living in Seoul and he wouldn’t be able to see his son that often.

 

"Congratulations, oppa!" Ji Eun said, grinning when she was feeling to happy for him. Tae Joon ruffled her hair, "Thanks, Ji Eun-ah."

 

 

That night, Tae Joon was busy packing his stuffs in his luggage and was too excited to start his life  in Seoul. He had been wishing to be living there but there was no luck for him in the past years ago. Fortunately, he had the precious chance to help his dad and Ji Eun with the college fees. He wanted to explore out from Daejeon. That was one of his wishes.

 

While packing his stuffs, Ji Eun knocked the door, waiting for him to let her in. She opened it with her hands holding a cup of hot chocolate and entered the room. "I made this for you, oppa." Ji Eun spoke as she put it aside on a table. Tae Joon who was busy sitting on the floor, folding his clothes, looked up to see his sister and smiled.

 

"Thanks, Ji Eun-ah." He stood up to get a sip of the drink. She sat on his bed and watched over her brother when he seemed to be focusing to pack his belongings. Ji Eun played with her fingers when her eyes fixed on Tae Joon while he went back to continue with his works.

 

"Dad already asleep, uh?" Tae Joon broke the silence. Ji Eun nodded to his question without uttering a word. To be very honest, she didn’t want him to leave. Tae Joon has always been there for her when she needed someone to talk to or share anything about her college life.

 

"Hey, what's wrong?" She snapped back to the reality when Tae Joon poked on her cheek, realizing that he was sitting beside her. She gulped, "N…Nothing."

 

"There must be something. You stuttered." Tae Joon chortled. He knew his sister a lot and he could read her face expression. Tae Joon knew very well that she didn’t want him to leave.

 

"…Will you be back again?" She asked. Somehow, there was a hidden feeling in her heart for her brother. Ji Eun was afraid if Tae Joon wouldn’t be back again and realized that he doesn’t belong to the family. She already lost her biological brother and there was no way she wanted to lose a guy who resembled to her brother a lot.

 

Tae Joon held her shoulders and let her face him as their eyes met, "Listen, Ji Eun-ah. It's not like I won't be back again. I'm leaving Daejeon because I'm going to gain some money for us. For you and for dad, too. Remember that I promised about this before?"

 

Ji Eun lowered her gaze and nodded, while biting her bottom lip. Tae Joon smiled a bit and his hand cupped her right cheek, "I will be back again. And I'll treat you for lunch when I get my first salary. Alright?"

 

She plastered a smile for him. Though it was just a small smile, she still felt that it made her to feel better by hearing to his words and that smile.

 

The way how he touched her cheek made her feel so warm. Her eyes were locked at his face when Tae Joon was staring at her. I shouldn’t do this. I can't fall for him. He's my brother.

 

 

---

 

Chanyeol and D.O brought their drinks and put it on a table as Ha Young waited for them. D.O handed an Iced Americano to Ha Young before they took a sip of their drinks.

 

 "How is everything going?" Chanyeol asked, looking cheerful as always like how Ha Young met her for the first time. He had been treating her more like his own sister and Ha Young knew that he would always be her vitamin to cheer her day.

 

She smiled, "Fine, I guess. I'll be getting busy by this week. I heard that my department will be having a few of new workers."

 

"That's great. Seriously, I've been missing you a lot. Look at you, you're getting skinnier than before!" D.O nagged when he pinched Ha Young's cheeks and Chanyeol brushed his hands away, "Yah! She's going to lose her precious cheeks!"

 

D.O glared at Chanyeol, "I'm being concerned about her condition. I'll cook for you by this weekend."

 

Ha Young laughed while shaking her head, "I'm fine. Really. You guys shouldn’t be worrying that much about me." She continued to sip her drinks and laughed when Chanyeol complained that D.O never decided to cook for him when he requested for his favorite food. D.O and Chanyeol has been living together and that made both of them were closer enough. Ha Young immediately remembered about Kai. If only he was there with them, surely, they would be staying together with the guys.

 

By that time, D.O's eyes caught something from the outside of the café. He tried his best to scan the figure that walked near the street but he couldn’t tell who was the person that passed by. His eyes grew wide and blinked a few times before changed his attention to his friends.

 

"Wait, is that Kai? I mean, he looks the same as him!" D.O spoke, caused two of them shifted their gazes through the transparent window beside them. Ha Young's heart thumped and let down her drink as she tried to look for what D.O said.

 

"Are you…sure?" She asked, gaining a look from Chanyeol. The tall guy sighed, "Forget it. Kai is no longer at here. He is nowhere to be seen. We don’t have any ideas if he's alive or dead." Chanyeol's words made both of his friends to stop from trying to search for the person.

 

Ha Young's expression changed immediately to think about Chanyeol's words. He was right. Kai was nowhere to be found and nobody knew if he's alive or dead.

 

D.O eyed Chanyeol and nudged at his ribs when they noticed that she wasn’t paying attention to them. Something dragged her mind away.

 

"Ha…Ha Young-ah.." Chanyeol patted on her shoulder and she seemed to get shocked for a bit with the sudden touch. He saw tears were pooled in her eyes and her friends knew it wasn’t a right thing to be mentioning about Kai. They knew that she must be keeping her feelings for him, somewhere in her heart.

 

"…We're sorry." D.O apologized. Ha Young wiped away her tears and forced a smile, "It's alright. I guess, I'll have to get back to my office then. See you guys later." She grabbed her handbag and left the table, caused the guys to feel bad even more to see how she was completely looked down because of Kai.

 

Chanyeol sighed, "She loves him, just like how she always did."

 

"I wonder where is he, right now. Poor Ha Young." D.O said.

 

 

---

 

 

"Alright everyone, gather up in the meeting room. I'll be seeing you in five minutes." Ha Young's team leader, Ms. Hwang, said to her teammates as she headed out to leave their department. Sehun pushed his chair, heading to Ha Young, "I heard that she wants to introduce to our new teammates."

 

"I wish they are good enough compared to someone who loves to be a stalker in this department." Ha Young replied sarcastically, earning a gasp from Sehun.

 

"Yah, are you saying about me?"

 

"I'm not. You were the one to think in that way. Hurry up, or else she'll scold you for being late." Ha Young patted on Sehun's shoulder three times and tied her hair while walking to the meeting room. Sehun rolled his eyes and followed her. He never thought she would be so mean to him on that day. She must be having period or something.

 

When all of the teammates has gathered in their meeting room, Ha Young remained silence when Sehun was still trying to gain attention from her. He has started to lose interest to and stayed quiet before the team leader entered the room.

 

"Good afternoon, everyone. So, I'd like to inform to everyone that this week, we will be starting with our new project and let me remind you something. You'll have to work hard on this project since it is not a project that you can simply take it as an easy thing. And…." Ms. Hwang wandered her eyes around and glued on Sehun, "…you, Oh Sehun!"

 

Sehun looked up, shocked, "Y..Yes?"

 

"Make sure to pay your attention more this time and don’t repeat the same mistakes like how you did for the last project." She reminded and Sehun lowered his head, "I got it, miss."

 

"Good." She said, flipping her black straight hair to the back. Ha Young tried her best not to chuckle at Sehun who started to mumble by himself in a whisper. She remained as cool as she could while paying her attention on the team leader.

 

"Last but not least, we will be having another two new teammates to be joining us from now on." Ms. Hwang continued and she spun around, clapping her hands two times to signal for two of the new teammates to enter the room.

 

"Come in!" She called.

 

The moment when two of them entered, Ha Young wasn’t looking at them as she felt her phone vibrated, receiving a call from Suho. She couldn’t answer it and immediately sent an instant message for him.

 

"Hello, everyone. My name is Lee Tae Joon. It's nice to meet you guys."

 

When the moment Ha Young pressed the send button on her phone, her ears caught something familiar. It was the familiar voice that she used to hear before.

 

She quickly looked up, only to meet her eyes with the guy who was standing beside Ms. Hwang, while plastering a wide smile.

 

 

 

She dropped her phone and that caused Sehun to change his attention to her. "Yah, Oh Ha Young, you dropped your phone."

 

Ha Young was hoping she was wrong. She thought that maybe it was just a dream. There was no way she was looking at her lover, Kim Jongin.

 

Please tell me this isn't a part of my dreams.

 

 

 


I hope you enjoyed with this update. Do spread around and leave your comments. I need to know how do you think about this story. Thank you :')