Three

For Our Baby
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

New chapter! Thanks to Paula12345 and jayelletea for subscribing! Hope you guys are liking this story~

Even if Kyungsoo hadn’t been called into the hospital, Haneul would have known it was bad news when Dr. Zhang Yixing shut the door of his office. Haneul glanced across at her husband, glad he was with her if only because it meant she wouldn’t have to tell him what had been said.

He stood with his hands in the pockets of his jeans, a small muscle pulsing in his cheek. It was the only sign he gave of any sort of inner turmoil.

It angered her that he could remain so calm. It made her feel so alone. Her mind was pulsing with fear at what the head of the liver transplant unit might be about to tell them, but when she looked at Kyungsoo, she saw…nothing. Just that tiny muscle clench and unclench.

"Hakyung is an incredible little girl," Dr. Zhang said as he sat down. "Mr Do, would you like to take a seat?"

Reluctantly, he sat where he indicated. Haneul tried her best to swallow the hard lump that had settled in as she waited for what would come next.

"Hakyung’s a real fighter…"

Haneul heard the scrape of Kyungsoo’s chair as he pushed it backward, the sound of feet in the corridor outside.

"But…I’m afraid she’s also one of the sickest children we’ve seen in the unit for a very long time." Dr. Zhang looked from one parent to the other. "The infection she caught two weeks ago has led to a dramatic deterioration in her condition and I think —" he paused again, his voice kind " —I think we’re at the stage where we must now consider using a liver from a different blood type."

Haneul nodded because she knew it was expected. Her eyes fixed on the man’s as though they were a lifeline.

"Is that possible?" Kyungsoo asked beside her.

Dr. Zhang turned to look at him. "It’s possible, but not ideal. As you know, Hakyung’s rare AB blood type is only found in approximately two percent of the population and she is running out of time. If successful, a transplant now, albeit using a less than perfect match, will keep her alive until a more suitable donor can be found."

The words were stark in their simplicity. Haneul felt the explosion in her head, the panic and the screaming fear.

Each time, every time, she’d thought she’d heard the worst. It was like facing the sea, with wave after wave crashing down upon her. Unstoppable.

Kyungsoo cleared his throat. "There doesn’t seem to be any choice."

"Very little," the doctor agreed. "We need a donor very quickly. Hakyung is struggling to stay alive. Every day we wait is a risk."

"What are the chances of one being found in time?"

Haneul sat in numbed shock. All she’d really heard was the fact that her baby was running out of time. She’d known that, but hearing the words sent ice coursing through her veins. Then she felt the pain. Long fingers gripping her heart and squeezing tight until she thought it would have to stop beating.

A shadow passed over Dr. Zhang’s face. "Parents whos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter