100 Days

100 Days

100 Days
3420 words


Day 1

The first time Kim Jongdae sees her; he’s left with a fluttering heart.

She’ sitting by the window in the corner seat of the café just a couple of blocks down from the SM building. It’s early spring and he’s fresh out of dance practice when he decides to go for a coffee run during his break. His hands are stuffed into the pockets of his jeans and he’s wearing an oversized sweatshirt with a black snap back to conceal his identity.

It’s by chance when he notices her through the large, glass windowpane from outside. She has a laptop in front of her and a stack of papers on her right. On her left sits a cup of the café’s best cappuccino.

She’s a student, Jongdae guesses as he enters the shop and takes his place in line to order. He assumes this because of the way her nose crinkles in frustration when she overlooks her notes and of the way she takes this large pink highlighter to highlight the important facts on a couple of pages. Although, her messy bun and her Seoul University pull over sweater did give her away too.

Nevertheless Jongdae is intrigued and he doesn’t know why. Perhaps it’s because he’s never seen her before, especially since he’s been going to this coffee shop since his pre-debut days, or maybe because he did find her attractive? He wasn’t entirely sure. But the fact was he couldn’t take his eyes off of her.

“One Americano to go.”

He jumps, pulling himself out from his own reverie as he turns his attention to the barista in front. The Barista is smiling warmly at him whilst, handing Jongdae his iced black coffee. With a grin he hands the man the money he owes, giving him a kind bow before walking out the shop.

From outside however, Jongdae takes one last glance at the girl through the glass window. She’s taking a drink from her coffee mug, chugging down whatever was left of her cappuccino before turning her attention back to her term paper.

He chuckles, another grin spreading on his lips as he finally takes his leave back to the company.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 10

The second time Jongdae sees her, he’s on his way to the cafe.

She’s coming off the platform of the transit bus just across the street from the coffee shop. She’s dressed in a red peacoat, some jeans and flats while juggling a bunch of textbooks in her arms. From a distance, Jongdae watches her cross the street, immediately heading inside the shop to her usual spot by the window.

Jongdae’s lips twist up into a smile, his pace to the shop only quickening until he reaches the front door. When he enters, she already has a glass of the café’s iced coffee put off to the side. There’s a notebook and an open English textbook in front of her as she carefully gnaws on the cap of her pink highlighter. She’s anxiously flipping through the pages and Jongdae assumes she’s probably studying for an exam.

Again her nose crinkles and he can’t help but chuckle quietly to himself when he gets in line to order.

“Hello sir, what can I do for you today?”

The barista is looking at him with a cheerful expression, causing his already present smile to widen.

“Can I ask you something?” Jongdae inquires, leaning towards the barista to jab his finger to the girl in the corner seat, “What was her order?”

“Her?” the barista blinks, scrutinizing her from a far, “If I remember correctly, she ordered our house special iced coffee.”

“And what is the house special?”

“Well,” the barista quickly pulls out a small menu from the side, handing it to Jongdae, “it’s just a darker brew with a hint of vanilla and honey. It’s actually one of our most popular blends.”

Jongdae thinks for a moment, glancing at the girl who never loses her concentration from studying, but does reach over to her iced coffee and takes a long sip from the straw.

With this twinkle in his eye, Jongdae gazes back at the barista with another grin.

“I’ll have what she’s having.”

 

 

//

 

 

Day 15

The third time Jongdae sees her, he thinks it’s fate.

It’s a little over five days after his second encounter and it’s not at the coffee shop he frequents, but at an EXO fansigning located in the fashion district of Seoul. She’s standing in line and he thinks she’s probably the 200th person there (he’s not entirely sure), because from where he’s standing he instantly recognizes that familiar messy bun.

Café Girl (which he whole-heartedly nicknames her with now) is queuing with a couple of her friends. They’re joking around and Jongdae notices how bright her smile is and the way her eyes sparkle with excitement. His breath holds for a second or two after that.

“Chen.” Joonmyeon calls from the end of the long signing table, “It’s time.”

Jongdae’s body bristles with excitement as he takes his place in between Sehun and Baekhyun. He can feel his heart hammering against his chest, his eyes wandering to Café Girl every now and then while he anticipates her arrival to table.

After a good forty-five minutes, several hand shakes, photos and declarations of admiration from his fans, Jongdae finally comes face to face with Café Girl.

With a -eating grin on his face Jongdae asks, “So, whom do I make this out to?”

“Actually,” Café Girl tells him bashfully, “It’s not for me. It’s for my cousin. She’s a third year in high school and working hard studying for her finals.”

Goddamn it.

Trying to hide his disappointment, Jongdae merely broadens his grin and responds with, “So what’s your cousin’s name?”

Café Girl smiles warmly and his heart skips a beat, “Yeonhee. Her name is Kwang Yeonhee.”

Taking his sharpie, he signs the album with a small note stating, ‘Study hard! Goodluck! Love, Chen’ and hands the album back to her.

“Tell your cousin I say hello.” Jongdae says, “I hope she does well on her finals.”

Café Girl nods at him and bows gratefully, “Don’t worry! I will.”

And just like that, Jongdae watches Café Girl walk down the line towards Baekhyun with a heavy heart and without knowing her name.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 23

For the next couple of days since the fansigning, Jongdae goes to the coffee shop everyday in hopes of seeing her. On some days (because of his practices) he is only able to catch her just as she’s leaving the café, but on most days he’s lucky; and on those lucky days, as stalker-ish as it sounds, he opts to sit on one of the tables a couple feet away from her, leisurely watching her do her work.

Sadly, he still has yet to know her name.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 33

Jongdae is preparing for a performance in China. He’s seated in the dressing room next to EXO-M’s lead stylist and his best friend Stacey Lee as she diligently fixes the seams of his suit and pants. She’s s fully aware of his current situation with Café Girl, and like a typical best friend would, finds his pathetic circumstance highly amusing.

“Sometimes I question your capability in anything Kim Jongdae.” Stacey tells him unhelpfully to his situation, “Honestly, what’s so hard about introducing yourself to a girl?”

Jongdae shakes his head sagely at his best friend and sighs, “I don’t know noona, sometimes I question it too.”

“Well, at least we’re on the same page about your incompetence.”

“Why do you hate me?”

Stacey snorts at his allegations, “I don’t hate you. I’m just wondering why you’re so chicken to ask a cute girl for her number?”

Jongdae bites his lip and frowns. “It’s not that I’m chicken.” Okay. That was a lie. He was scared; but he was more afraid of being rejected than actually having the gall to introduce himself and score a date.

“Bro, you wouldn’t know if you didn’t try. I mean you don’t even know her name yet and that’s… pretty sad.”

“You really hate me, don’t you?”

And Stacey just laughs.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 40

Days later, one afternoon, his luck decides to take a turn for the better.

Jongdae is sitting in his usual spot, tables away from Café Girl. He’s enjoying a caramel macchiato (the same one she’s having) while watching her type out another term paper until he feels a light tap on his shoulder. Turning his head, he looks up and finds himself locking gazes with the barista of the coffee shop.

“Hello.” The barista says with a friendly grin.

“Uh… Hi.” Jongdae replies cautiously.

The barista is a tall older man probably in his late twenties. He’s handsome, with dark brown eyes and ash brown hair. He’s smiling down at Jongdae as he takes the seat across from him, “I’m sorry,” he chuckles, “It’s just that I see you come in all the time. You sit in the same seat and you always ask for the same drink she’s having.”

The barista points to Café Girl and Jongdae swallows. He hasn’t realized it, but coming to the coffee shop has been routine for him now; and for someone to finally take notice was absolutely humiliating.

“Um… Well it’s—“

“It’s fine.” The barista replies, “You don’t need to explain yourself. I understand.”

Jongdae blinks and gapes at him, “You do?”

“Of course. I know an attraction when I see it; and you my friend are very attracted to her.”

A wave of heated embarrassment washes over his face. He was mortified—utterly mortified for being so plainly obvious. Knowing that a stranger knew his interest in Café Girl was far worse than Stacey busting his chops for it every chance she got (although he begged to differ sometimes…).

“Look, this might sound strange and a bit straight-forward but I want to help you.”

What? “Excuse me?”

The barista chuckles lightly, “I said I want to help you.” he repeats, “You see, I’m a er for romance and seeing you gawking at her everyday…it was rather pitiful.”

Oh god, he wants die.

Jongdae coughs awkwardly at the barista’s comment and attempts to not feel offended, “So you want to help me talk to her?” he inquires, “I mean you don’t have to…”

“Well, watching you come in everyday, order the same drink and sit in the same seat just to observe the girl by the window—I mean, I felt bad for you. You look like a lost puppy waiting to get noticed.”

Again, Jongdae coughs, “Was I that obvious?”

The barista nods, “Painfully so.”

Jesus Christ someone please just shoot him now.

“But don’t worry, with my help I’m sure you’ll get to know her sooner than you think.”

 

 

//

 

 

Day 49

After getting acquainted with the barista, Ji Taewoo, Jongdae learns that Café Girl has been his regular customer for years now, even before his pre-debut days.

“She comes in frequently,” his hyung tells him, “she’s also studying too. I think the only time she hasn’t come in are the days when work is slow.”

Jongdae can feel his lips pull up at the thought. “So do you know her name?” he instigates.

Taewoo stops drying the coffee mug he’s holding and thinks about it momentarily, “Hmm… you know in all my years of running this place I have never once asked for her name.”

“Hyung, if you can find out, please tell me immediately.”

 

 

//

 

 

Day 59

She’s a teacher.

At least, according to Taewoo, anyway. She teaches 8th graders at the middle school fifteen minutes away from the coffee shop.

“She’s also studying to receive her Masters Degree for teaching.” Taewoo tells him with a grin, “She’s very intelligent.”

“And her name?” Jongdae asks almost instantly, “What’s her name, hyung?”

“Han Rian.”

“Han Rian…” he repeats almost breathlessly. “Han Rian.”

That was definitely a very pretty name.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 65

On some nights Jongdae can’t help but think of Rian. The way her nose crinkles when she’s frustrated or in deep thought, or the way her brown eyes sparkle when she’s happy, or the way her smile is wide whenever she’s grading her students’ works.

On those nights Jongdae can’t seem to get her out of his head. And the more he thinks about her, the more he wants to get the courage to introduce himself to her.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 70

“Hyung.”

Jongdae says on one of the days Rian doesn’t come to the café. Taewoo, who was busy making a customer a frappuccino, glances at Jongdae momentarily and replies with a, “What?”

“Is it possible to link my credit card account to all the purchases I make here? Like piling up the bills together and paying for them later?”

Taewoo raises an eyebrow at him, “Linking an account? You mean like placing a tab?”

Jongdae nods, “Yeah, something like that.”

“Well, it’s not very hard to make, you just need to pay for the stuff you buy later in full. Why?”

Jongdae can feel a smile forming on his lips as he thinks about his foolproof plan. “I’m going to buy her coffee from now on.” He says determined with a twinkle in his eye, “Place a tab under my name for all her purchases, hyung.”

 

 

//

 

 

Day 92

“I think you should ask her out.”

Jongdae is sitting on the dorm couch watching television, when Baekhyun blocks his line of vision with an annoyed expression on his face and hands on his hips.

“What?”

“I said, you should ask Café Girl out.”

Byun Baekhyun must be out of his freakin’ mind.

“You’re crazy.” Jongdae answers skeptically, “You’re really crazy.”

Baekhyun frowns, “I’m serious Kim Jongdae,” he says, “I’m so tired of you moping around the dorms, wondering what life could be like if you had the balls to actually go up to her and confess.”

“There’s a difference between confessing and asking someone out.” Jongdae corrects matter-of-factly.

“Same difference!” Baekhyun shouts, practically throwing his hands up in frustration, “The point is, I really think you should stop being a and ask her out.”

“Baek’s right,” Chanyeol suddenly agrees from the kitchen (Jongdae didnt even realize, the taller EXO-K member was listening in on their conversation the entire time), “It’s obvious that you really like this girl if you keep buying her coffee everyday. What do you have to lose?”

“What if the relationship doesn’t work?” Jongdae concedes doubtfully, “Not everyone gets their happy ending.”

However, Baekhyun’s frown only deepens at his words, “Hey,” he says with an impatient tap of his foot, “If I can do it and the hyungs, Jongin and Sehun can make their relationship with their girlfriends work, then so can you.”

Even though Jongdae wanted to shank Baekhyun sometimes (and maybe throw him over a cliff), today he was making a whole lot of sense and often, Byun Baekhyun doesn’t exactly make a lot of sense.

He was right. They were all right. What did Jongdae have to lose anyway?

He wouldn’t know if he didn’t try.

 

 

//

 

 

Day 100

God Jongdae is nervous. He’s practically shaking. But today was it. Today would be the day he would finally introduce himself to Rian. Swallowing hard and after a mental pep talk, Jongdae picks up his mug of chai latte, and slowly walks over to Rian’s table.

“Hi.”

Rian snaps up from her students’ term papers to look at Jongdae. For a moment, she blinks blankly at him, even tilting her head to the side completely baffled by his presence. However, it doesn’t take her very long to recognize him and when she does her eyes widen and her lips part to make a small gasp, “Aren’t you—“

“Yes.” He cuts in affirmatively, as if reading her mind “That’s me. I’m from that band.”

She looks around suspiciously, not sure if she’s under some secret camera prank or if anyone else notices that Chen from EXO is actually talking to her. Her cousin is an EXO-L; Rian knows how dramatic and overzealous they can be. So, if they found out they’re beloved main vocalist was actually speaking to her, well she’s pretty sure all hell would break loose.

Luckily, no one seemed to care or notice that the person standing in front of her was the famous idol. She thinks it’s probably because he’s dressed so naturally and not flashy for the camera, that he’s not garnering any attention.

“Umm… Do you need something?” she finally questions inconspicuously, when she realizes that its okay to speak.

Rian can tell that he’s nervous and obviously has something to tell her but when she glances at the coffee mug in his hands she asks, “Are you drinking a chai latte right now?”

He jumps and nods unabashedly to her question, while Rian swiftly glances to her own mug holding the same exact drink.

“That’s funny.” She says thoughtfully, “I’m drinking the same thing…”

Now, Han Rian is taking a master’s course in teaching, so it doesn’t take her very long to connect the dots together. It made sense as to why he was coming to her table in the first place or why an idol like himself would take the time to approach a non-idol like her.

“Wait… Are you… Have you been the one buying my coffee for the past month?”

Rian can see the way Jongdae’s cheeks flush a light pink and the way his head nods again, answering her.

She remembers it as if it were just yesterday. Last month she ordered a caramel latte with two-shots of espresso and when it was time for her to pay the bill, Taewoo, the barista and owner, had told her it was already paid for.

She didn’t understand it in the beginning; especially since afterwards, she’s been getting her coffee for free. But, whole-heartedly, she was grateful to whoever was buying her drinks. However, to find out the person buying them was none other than EXO’s Chen—well, anyone could find it hardly believable, including her.

The only thought racking her mind was why? Why her?

“I’ve seen you for the past four months coming into the coffee shop and never worked up the courage to introduce myself.” He says nervously yet truthfully, “Now I finally have that courage and I really want to get to know you.”

Rian has a moment to take everything in. Most women would probably find this situation creepy and awkward. However, Rian wasn’t like most women. She found Jongdae’s actions sweet and endearing. To her, it was flattering—Rian was very happy to know she had an admirer. A smile forms on her pink lips as she pushes the screen to her laptop closed and sets her work off to the side of the table. Raising her arm, she points to the empty seat across from her.

“Would you like to have a seat?” she asks.

Jongdae’s eyebrows furrow together as he blinks skeptically. Did she—did she just invite him to sit with her?

“Umm…”

“Please, have a seat.” She insists, her grin never faltering, “I want to get to know you too.”

His heart hammers against his chest and he can’t help but feel like he’s living a dream, so without any hesitation he places his latte on the table and pulls out the chair across from her, taking a seat.

“I’m Han Rian.” She introduces extending her hand out to shake his, once he’s settled in, “Thank you for buying my coffee all this time.”

Even though he already knew that, Jongdae perks up at the sound of her sweet voice and flashes a radiant smile of his own, returning the kind gesture. “Kim Jongdae.” He answers, “My name is Kim Jongdae. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

Somewhere between him talking about his other members and Rian regarding her own students, Taewoo watches them from a far with a grin on his face and everything becomes that much warmer.

 

.

.

.

.

 

“It’s about time you asked her out.” Stacey says into the phone that very same day, “I was thinking you were going to be forever alone—well… forever.”

“Why is it that every time you speak, I wanna stab myself with a fork?”

“I don’t know? Why did it take you 100 days to introduce yourself to a girl?”

“I hate you.”

“I’m sure you do, Jongdae. I’m sure you do.”