Inspiration

Monday's With Tiffany

  "I didn't know your job was important enough."

  We were drinking wine and listening to some old Sinatra albums when Jessica told me she was going on a business trip.

  "I don't think it really is." Jessica was on her third glass of wine and she had only been here for about half an hour. 

  Everytime she would pour herself another glass, she would fill it to the brim. Then, she would sorrowfully let her head linger over the glass while she lapped a few sips before picking up the glass and managing to down it in under a minute. She was a sight to be held and every time I laughed she would narrow her eyes at me and then trace the edge of her glass with her finger.

   "Where is said business trip?" I asked sipping at my own glass of Bacardi.

   "Chicago." she wrinkled her nose, "Real exciting huh?"

   "I don't know why don't you tell me when you get back?"

   "You're not funny Sooyoung." she groaned.

   "I am hysterical what are you talking about?" I was pouring my second glass.

   "I beg to differ."

   The day before I had come home with my usual disappointed motif of not being able to find a job. It was seven at night, and Jessica had come home early. The door to her apartment was open and I stole a peek inside. David Bowie's 'Underground' was blaring and Jessica was swaying her hips to the music and belting out the words with a bottle of wine in her hand.

   I had learned that she was a huge David Bowie fan later. Her love for him was like my love for Frank Sinatra. Later in our friendship we spent whole nights crouched by my old turntable. She brought over her crate of rock records and I drug out my jazz and disco records. Pillows and blankets in messy piles around the speakers as we listened to them completely sober. There was a heavy feeling of content that'd was almost uncomfortable. More often than not we'd fall asleep with the music still going.

  At the point where Jessica didn't want to go on her trip, I was going through a classical music stage and all I was listening to was Tchaicovsky and Chopin. 

  "Do you think I can get out of it." Most important thing on the girl's mind at the set point in time. I later explained to my daughters that there was nothing wrong with questioning the possibilities, but the actual decision mattered. When the decision is made, the thought of your choices doesn't make a damn difference. My girls thought Jessica was some cranky old lady until they met her and realized she was only a couple years older than I.

  "If this trip is going to cost you a damned arm and a leg you may as well quit Jessica." I told her truthfully. I was running out of Bacardi quick.

 "Then how would I pay my rent?" she pointed at me with her wine glass, gripping it at the stem, "That's what we call a lose lose situation sister."

  I groaned and rolled my shoulders aching from stress. My stomach was swollen with hunger, I was never in the mood to eat anymore.  

    Jessica's own face was sunken in from lost weight. All she consume was fermented grape juice anyway. While we stared into each others miserable souls for about ten minutes, Tiffany walked into my apartment and poured herself a glass of wine without a word.

  "Staring contest?" She asked non-chalantly.

  We looked at her splatter in paint as usual. Her cheeks were red, which could either be from the extreme adrenaline rushes she claimed to experience during painting, or scars from the effort to scrub it from her face. Her smile was bright and her skin was colorful. Without another thought Jessica broke out into laughter.

  She told me later that she didn't find anything at the moment the least bit funny. One of the most important things I ever learned was when you're feeling a little too down, just laugh. Even if it's not funny. And that's what Jessica did. 

  "I didn't know you were a Sinatra fan Sooyoung." she said with disregard for Jessica's laughter. 'Witchcraft' ha begun playing which was my favorite Sinatra song at the time.

  "Oh yeah, I'm a real fan of jazz actually, classical too." I said humming along. 

  "Nothing like Bowie." Jessica said.

  "Ooh David Bowie!" Tiffany nudged Jessica who rolled her eyes but smiled, "It's only forever."

 "Not long at all." Jessica shook her head to add soul.

  Jessica then stood up and dissapeared out my front door and returned with her Bowie record and popped it into my stereo system before I could protest. Soon all three of us were dancing around with our bottles of wine and our peace of mind. 

-

-

-

  I woke up to the sound of saxophone blaring through my speakers. My stereo had started over and was at the saxophone riff of 'Underground' again. Tiffany was draped over my baren mattress, I was curled up with a single pillow near the stereo. Jessica was nowhere in sight. I began rising to my feet feeling the Bacardi in my head. I stumbled to the bathroom and ran the sink immediately. I turned around to find Jessica in the bathtub, cradling an empty bottle of wine in her lap. She was humming to the song in her sleep. 

  Tiffany was awake when I got back to the living room smiling and nodding her head to the music. I gave her a quick hug and started making some coffee. Jessica came wandering out soon. Rubbing her eyes with an extremly content look on her face. 

  "Let's go out to breakfast I'm buying." Jessica said, that was the firsts and last time she said it too.

 We packed up and made ourselves presentable before heading out amongst the city folk. We settled in a little bistro with a patio right on the nice part of the street where we could watch the fancy cars go by.

 We got pancakes and ordered every flavor of syrup available. Then we sat and ate ourselves sick.

 Which was just we needed at the time. At the end of the breakfast Tiffany smiled at us and said, "I think I have the inspiration for my next painting."

_______________________________

A/N: I'm so sorry I haven't updated guys. I've been on vacation and I haven't had my laptop I had to write this on my iPad so I'm sorry if the formatting is weird. I'll be home tomorrow and I promise I'll update more! Lots of love to you all! Happy summer! :3