Time Goes By (Jessica POV)

Monday's With Tiffany

As days go by there is really nothing that makes me more anxious than time going by. I used to think that I could stop time. I didn’t even think of being kept down by negative thinking.

I was born in L.A. California. I lived with both my mother and father. They didn’t censor my life and everything was great. I was a good student and I had lots of friends. But you know life doesn’t always work in favor for you. So I, like everyone else, fell down a little, but the difference was I couldn’t get back up.

Not censoring my life meant I could know everything about everything, there was something I was hoping now that would be censored.

“I’m dying.” My father said it abruptly one day.

“No you’re tired,” I said, slightly annoyed, I was close to my father.

“No, I’m dying, Cancer.” He sighed.

I quit what I was doing and looked up at him.

“Don’t say it so lightly.” I said I began breathing heavily.

“Don’t worry I have a few months.”

“I will not measure this with time!” I shouted.

“Don’t yell!” He snapped back.

The next few days I spent the time sitting in my room and contemplating how to think of this news. It was all very disturbing. I didn’t like the thought of my best friend dying.

So I bought some , I couldn’t bring myself to snort it though. I called myself stupid and dumped it in the street on a drive home. Then I stopped and bought a bottle of strong alcohol. I had an exam for college the next day, but I didn’t care. I just thought that things would be much better if I drank so much I couldn’t see straight. Then I did the stupidest thing ever. I got back into my car after drinking that whole bottle. And that night I got into a car accident. That night my father was so distraught that he couldn’t bring himself to come visit me in the hospital. He died that next morning, two hours before I was discharged from the hospital. I got out with a black eye, and a fractured wrist. My father died thinking that I didn’t care enough about anything. And the last thing I ever said to him plays in my mind even today.

“I don’t care, nothing’s going right,” I told him.

“It can if you want it to.” He said.

“That’s big talk for someone who’s leaving.”

I cried, I told him that he chose to die. I couldn’t stand seeing my mother, so I moved out and lived in my car for a while. I pulled over and cried on the highway. I flunked out of college; I didn’t want anything to do with anyone in that town again.

So I left all the pain behind. I tried at least a big weight still sits on my chest whenever I think of time or see a clock.

Jessica Jung, the girl who hates time. And gave everything up, because one big thing happened to change my life.

So I moved to that city. I went into the crappy cheap apartments, and I asked for an apartment without many people around. Even though I left to get away from it, I still had the burden of not wanting to associate with people.

I know you’re used to Sooyoung giving her point of view, but I though that maybe you’d be interested in mine too. I remember the first day I met her too. She was unlike anyone I’d ever met in my whole entire life.

“Yes this looks fine.” She said smiling at the guy.

I was just coming home from my night job. I saw her bring her bags in and nod to the man before he left bowing to me slightly before hurrying down the stairs.

I took a chance and leaned in her doorway.

“New?” I asked

“Since this morning.” She mumbled not even looking at me.

“We’re the only two that live on this floor.”

“That’s interesting.”

“Yeah crappy old building.”

I walked into the apartment and thought of all the things going on in her mind. I stuck my hand out and offered her to shake.

“I’m Jessica, you’re new and only neighbor.”

“Sooyoung same position.”

Interesting.

I didn’t say anything more to her, I just nodded and left and that was the first time I had ever met someone that didn’t live in L.A.

It felt wrongly good.

My personality was dry and negative towards her, but she kept acknowledging me and nodding when I said things when we met in the hallway. After a few months, she actually spoke to me first.

“Where are you from?” She asked when we were checking mail.

“L.A.” I answered bluntly, all those hurtful memories flooded back to me.

“Why’d you leave?” She had to have our first legit conversation like this?

So I told her the story. Not leaving out a single thing. By the end I had collapsed on the floor sobbing. She kneeled down and pat me on the shoulder.

“ happens.”

And she picked up my mail and went back upstairs.

It may seem like she was being insensitive, but I saw her true intentions.

She was telling me that it wasn’t entirely my fault, and that I shouldn’t beat myself up over it all.

I took the whole situation as a sign and I began calling us friends.

You only make friends when you take risks. I didn’t think that I’d ever find a friend like Sooyoung. She didn’t ask me too many questions, she didn’t pry or make too much noise. To me, she was the greatest person on this planet.

But I stayed cold and didn’t pay her much mind, she’d just be gone in a few months anyway right? Wrong.

Sometimes I wanted her to leave, just so that familiar feeling would come back so I wouldn’t have to worry all the time. But she stuck around like the jerk she is.

I just dealt with it, I don’t mind, I think it’s cool that she’s so different. She didn’t see anything besides her own little world like me. So, over time we developed our own, shared world. And we’d never leave it.

A/N: Just a short thing in Jessica's POV. Kind of letting you get to know the character better. I like Jessica in this story and I have a lot in store for her character :3 xoxo, Lauren.