Rainy Days & Coffee Dates

Dooley Drabbles

Hello :) I'm back with yet another Drabble. This time it isn't short and I hope you have lesser reasons to complain:) Though I don't mention them by names in this (and I noticed that only much later) It's a YongShin story inspired by a Knet comment I read on a site. 

"It's raining "
She heard a PD say, it was not a happy statement or an excited exclamation as made clear by the string of cuss words that followed. Everybody on the commercial filming set ran helter-skelter trying to move props and equipments to a dry place. She just had to sit in her make-up van and avoid getting her dress ruined. She had it easy that way, but wished she could help the assistants who looked distraught trying to salvage the set pieces. She could only watch as a perfect work day deteriorated into an useless one as unexpected rain lashed down. The set had descended into absolute chaos, she felt sorry for them.
She heard the pitter patter of the rain as it fell atop the van. She smiled, in spite of herself and the surroundings.

He had been busy practicing for an upcoming concert. Perfection, he sought perfection when it came to work and practiced hard to reach it. Nobody should ever feel short-changed at his concerts. He was practicing a new melody on his keyboard when one of his accompanying band members walked in, drenched from head to toe. He went to the window and opened the shades, and found that it was raining. He smiled for the first time that day.

Six years before ...

"I don't like the rain" She said.
"Why?" He prodded trying not to sound too inquisitive but honestly, he was dying to know. Why would this bubbly, talkative bundle of sunshine, hate the rain? She was barely out of her teens, isn't that when rain is considered the most romantic ? He, himself loved the rain.
"Just, because.." She shrugged.
He knew she was hiding but she was very bad at it, hiding things from him that is. He knew she would give in, all he had to do was wait, patiently. He nudged her slightly, before sitting on the same chair as her.
"Yaaah" she sniffed, then gave in. He put his arm around the chair but held on to her shoulder for support. She looked at him, just the moment he did, their faces were close enough for others to misunderstand or assume they were kissing. They didn't look away, neither did they kiss. It had been like that for a while.

A strange attraction. The friendship, though newly formed, was not a casual one. There was instant connection. They were young. Life was just beginning. There were too many unasked questions.

"Why??" He asked again, with more authority in his tone, she couldn't not answer anymore.
"My first break up was on a rainy day. I cried everyday that month and it rained every single day." She elaborated with a tinge of sadness.

He looked at her, short haired, wearing fake glasses, looking every bit like a boy. That was for the drama of course. To him, she was both a back slapping buddy and a beautiful girl hidden within.

"Let's go out for coffee" He said casually.
"Are you asking me out ?" She asked confidently.
He was left stuttering for words. She laughed for a long time. He kept quiet until he got her consent. That's how they made their first coffee date on a rainy day.

Present time..

"So, same place? I'll text you when I reach"
He smiled at the message he had received. It had been their routine for six whole years. They would meet for coffee come rain, for sunshine was forbidden territory for popular idols, actors and hallyu stars. Provided they were both in town and their schedules were not insane.

Rain was a good time to meet. It made everything inconvenient for the reporters who made it their business to follow them around. The pictures were hard to take, basically perfect time to meet in the open yet not get caught. Fewer people ventured out in the rain, so there was privacy too. Harder it rained, better their chances of meeting. They were basically using nature to their advantage and why not. Everything else was against them anyway.

She sat in privacy of the booth in a coffee shop on the 9th floor of a building, overlooking the streets . The rain made everything hazy and beautiful.

"Hey"
She heard a familiar voice that brightened her face instantly.
They met again, like it were their first time though it was more likely the hundredth time. Either way, it was special. It raining and them meeting.

She looked gorgeous these days, he thought as he set eyes on her from far. He found her beautiful earlier too but he was finding it hard to accept how stunning she looked these days. He had caught himself staring at her pictures quite a few times this past year.

She was a bud when they met who had bloomed into a beautiful flower over the years. He stopped himself before he started writing song lyrics describing her beauty. He smiled instead.

She saw the smile and felt her heart going wild. She laughed loudly to restrain herself from acting like a fan girl. Then he joined in and they were themselves again as they sat sharing stories and parts of their lives the other had missed.

After a while they sat observing the rain pouring down relentlessly from the glass window causing disruption in normal life. How ironic that it was when their lives connected.

"Do you still hate the rain?"
He asked still looking outside watching miniature cars zip by splashing water.

"I do" she responded softly waiting for him to look at her which he did as soon as the words were out of . "Sometimes" she added "when you are not in town"

His shock had faded into a smile.

"When you are not there, I resent the rain and think how wonderful the day can be, if only...", She trailed off.

".. I were here" he completed her sentence, smiling.

She nodded then enquired , "Do you still love the rain?"

He nodded. "I do. I love it even more now."
She raised her eyebrows subtly asking him to carry on.
"When it rains, there is hope that I'll meet you. When I am away every rainy day reminds me of you and this coffee we share."

She blushed unexpectedly, then turned her attention to the coffee she was drinking. He had seen it though, he took his coffee to his lips, smile stubbornly fixed on it.

It was getting late and he had to leave, though he didn't want to. The rain was beautiful; the coffee delicious; the girl in front of him, dazzling.

As he helped her pack the left over sandwiches, he asked her if she would attend his concert. When had she ever missed, she asked making him grin like a fool. As they reached the ground floor parking, they found the covered route to the car was flooded, hence blocked. They needed to walk in the rain to get to the car.

She took out her umbrella without a word of complaint. He opened it and held it for her. She smiled at him warmly. He put his arm around her protectively as he navigated around the people and the puddles.

She felt like a princess. She didn't care that her feet were muddy and her dress had specks of dirt. He held her umbrella for her until she was well and safe in her car. Then he abruptly folded the umbrella and handed it to her.
"Yaaah " she exclaimed, as the rain drenched him at once. He grinned his charming toothy grin, winking at her.

"You might need the umbrella when you reach back" saying which he shut her car door, waving at her.

She watched him as he walked towards his car. He turned around and waved at her as if he knew she would be where he left her. She waved back, smiling.

As she drove back in the rain, she could only think of one thing. Rainy days were her favorite days.