Burning bridges

Notifications

This one-shot is inspired by this Instagram post by Krystal, taken from her latest collab/project with Beasts And Natives Alike.

=========================================


Krystal walked away as the sun went down.

She was tired of everything. She was tired of making the relationship work. She was tired of reaching out to Amber who somehow never reciprocated her. She was tired of unanswered calls, unfeeling messages, unfulfilled promises and unappreciated efforts.

She was tired and she wanted out.

That their latest date ended up in another fight isn't helping her either. Krystal tried to surprise Amber by showing up at her favorite hangout spot under the bridge by the Han River, only to be met by unpleasant surprise, silence and hostility.

Krystal's exhaustion felt like fuel to the fire that is now slowly burning the bridge that connected them. Whatever happened to Amber anyway? She used to love her. Or at least that's what Krystal thought.

It was supposed to be easy. To walk away. To get away from it all. To escape. But every step Krystal took seemed difficult to make and her heart weighed heavier as she moved farther away.

Until she heard Amber cry.

Amber couldn't find the right words to make Krystal stay. Amber knew she didn't deserve her, but Krystal became hers anyway. Everything seemed happy at first, but nothing worth having was ever easy.

Amber was later ordered by their company to end her relationship with Krystal.

But she didn't have the heart to tell Krystal. For how can you tell someone to go away when you wanted her close? How can you break someone's heart when all you want to do in life is to protect it at all costs? How can you tell someone you don't love her anymore when you love her more and more than you could ever love anyone, more than you can imagine, more than you were actually capable of?

Amber didn't know what to do. She endured the misery on her own and did horrible things so that Krystal can find reasons to break her heart instead. And holy hell did it hurt Amber.

As Krystal walked away, Amber knew that whatever bridge connected them crumbled with every step.

So Amber cried.

But the soft sound of Amber's mourning was too much for Krystal to bear. For how can you make someone cry when all you want to do is to make her the happiest person in the world? How can you walk away when all you want to do is to be with her all the way? How can you leave all you want to do in life to love her at whatever cost?

And then there was silence. So deafening that it made fear creep up on Krystal. 

Are they done for good?

Krystal turned around and saw Amber walking briskly towards her. And as they closed the distance between their hearts with a kiss, the fire inside Krystal burned again, this time not out of exhaustion but only out of love.

"Please don't walk away from me again," Amber pleaded, her hands holding Krystal's cheeks like a delicate jewel that she needed to protect. She didn't know what will happen next, or how can she make the relationship work despite the odds. But she knows she'll be damned if she lets Krystal go just like that.

Krystal knew she was making a fool out of herself this time. For why should she choose to stay when she can walk away? But she knew the answer. It has always been the answer.

"Never," Krystal whispered as she held Amber close. And that was all they needed to put up a good fight.

And as the starless sky lit up with their tears and their burning kisses warming up their hardened and cold hearts, Krystal and Amber knew.

The bridge of love has been rebuilt.


=========================================

 

Happy Valentine's Day from this side of the world. :)