Truth

Notifications

"Are you sure about this, Krystal?"

"Why yes oppa, never been sure than ever."

"This whole time we've been trying to get away from Chinese saesangs. Wouldn't this be a little... too careless?"

"C'mon oppa! Sometimes the fans need a good treat! Surely this one won't hurt?"

"But...."

"Think of this as a group promotion, only I'm doing it single-handedly and guerilla-like."

"Fine!"

"You're the best, manager oppa!" she quealed, exuding too much aegyo for her manager to bear.

The two were standing by the entrance of a supermarket in China, where Krystal had been for a few weeks now to shoot her latest drama. The work -- she didn't mind; after all, she's endured longer hours in previous dramas and sitcoms in Korea.

But something about being abroad made things more difficult to bear. She missed home. She missed the food (Korean beef just can't compare). And she missed a certain someone whom she's not even allowed to miss.

Just the other day, she lurked on social media to catch up with friends as she waited for filming to wrap up. But for every scroll on her newsfeed, her smile turned into a scowl. That her secret ex-girlfriend Amber had taken to use the hashtag #LunBer on her posts made her incredibly jealous, not because she saw Luna as a threat but because she realized just how terribly she missed Amber. Krystal made a phone call.

"Krystal-ssi! To what do I owe this honor of a phone call?" Amber inquired.

"Nothing, I..." Krystal found herself tongue-tied.

"You miss me, do you?" Amber teased.

"W-who are you kidding?" 

"Whatever you say, Krys," Amber chuckled.

"Don't you.. why.. I dialled the wrong number OK! I'm sorry I wasted your time," Krystal protested.

"Krys, you know I was just kidding,"  Amber said, her tone shifting from cheery to somber, like she had no right to utter anything remotely funny.

Krystal wanted to spill everything she felt and to vent whatever it was she felt -- you know, just like the old times.

"Am..."

"I miss you. I don't think you'll feel the same, let alone show it to the world, because you're with someone else now, but it can't hurt to be truthful sometimes right?"

"Am, please..."

"Anyway I've got a business meeting to catch up. Bye prin-... I mean, Krystal," Amber said as she ended the call.

"You're free to call me Princess, you know," Krystal replied to the sound of a dead tone.

And so here she is, in a supermarket, in full view of people she barely know, wearing a jacket bearing a name didn't match hers, but a name she'd always keep in her heart.

A name she wishes she could tell the world that she holds dear but could not. 

"Why are you wearing Amber's jacket anyway," Bear Manager asked, interrupting her thoughts.

"Well, can't hurt to be truthful sometimes, right?"

"I don't understand..."

"Ah, oppa, don't bother! Let's just go shopping!"