The falling mask.

The two shades of love.
The falling mask.

 By the time Jin Ki came over, Taemin was suffering a terrible headache. He was beyond tired, and felt like fainting due to the massive responsibility he got: The Kim company, specialized fortunately on Taemin’s field: publishing. The accounting is a mess since the man’s sickness so Taemin had to check on everything and fix the chaos if he wished to keep the company functional.

“You look awful.” Jin Ki remarked, as Taemin sat by his side. “Is there any trouble?”

“I need a new set of accountants, because the company is a mess.” Taemin growled. “But, I’ll fix that after dinner. I may ask help from father’s accountant, he’s an expert and will help me out.”

“I can help.” Jin Ki offered, with an offended expression in his face. “You know that I can help you out.”

“But you have a wedding to prepare. You have to spend time with your wife, help her out, and show her support.” Taemin said looking away, holding himself from falling into the mistake of exposing himself just because he was physically tired. “She needs you, more than I do, right now.”

Jin Ki glanced over him and parked suddenly. It made Taemin’s heart race, as he looked with shock and worry written all over his face. “What happened to us, Taemin?” Taemin gulped. “We used to be so close but…” When Jin Ki looked at him, Taemin felt exposed and judged. “As soon as I proposed, you distanced yourself from me, from the day one. I was shocked, to be honest, but I thought you had your reasons and that you will tell me like always why you are like this.”

No, don’t ask me to explain.

“Explain yourself to me, Taemin, because hell, it’s all I need right now.” Taemin’s eyes were suddenly filled with tears and it surprised Jin Ki. “Taemin.”

“I can’t explain.” He soon noticed his error, as Jin Ki’s hand almost reached his cheek. “Oh.” He looked away and dried his tears. “But you can say… I’m preparing myself to the time when you will consider me as a memory.”

“What do you mean, Taemin? You will never be something less than my best friend and brother.” Taemin swallowed. And nothing more than that, isn’t it, Hyung?

“I know.” Taemin said, looking still outside the window. “I am sorry if I did offend you.”

“You didn’t… but I missed you.” The confession made Taemin look back to the man behind the wheel. “Your absence made me feel empty, I admit it, so please…” Taemin felt his throat knotting as Jinki looked so broken and sad. “Stop avoiding me.”

Taemin looked away, a sudden euphoria filling his veins with life. “I won’t.” He said before a smile could reach his lips. “but I’ll still call Dad’s accountant.”

Jin Ki chuckled, turning on the engine. “As you wish.” The dinner ended being the best he got in ages, and he admitted that he could bear with everything but to be his Hyung’s pain, and that the fact his absence made Jin Ki feel empty meant everything for him.

Resting his head on the pillow that night, Taemin sighed, tired, before his mind would drift back to Kai. The man’s appearance was intimidating but the dance, and especially the dance, made Taemin feel fascinated by him. It’s a mystery I have to solve as soon as possible. Yet, his mind fell asleep before he could think further.

In the next morning, the first thing Taemin did was to visit the company, and introduce himself as the new CEO.  It was awkward as hell, since all of them were twice his age, but he was respectful, and didn’t lose composure as he told them that the company need a change; “Unless you want it to flop, and you wish to lose your job.” He calmly said, while it made everybody else stiffen. “There are so many mistakes in the accounting, our company is almost unseen, and I noticed that we republished books, because we had no new offers! Is this what you were working for?”

“Sir, when Mr. Kim started being sick, we were lost.” the secretary said. “We feared it will be the end for us too.”  

“I understand but whatever happens, never stop working hard.” Taemin said with a sad smile. “Now, look where we are. Below the bottom.” He gave his back to the employees and sighed deeply. “Now, I wonder what to do in order to save the company.”

The silence was deafening, and he looked back to the people who had a lost expression in their mind.

“I plan to get a full report about the company’s situation by the end of day, Tomorrow. All of you need to contribute, and I hope it will give me an idea about the points to improve. I am firing no one, and of course I won’t touch your pays, but I expect from you to work with your full potential, unless you are too tired for that, and the door is open for you to leave.” Taemin’s smile contrasted the cold voice he used. He hated humans, despite being one, and he hated himself for the same reasons. He tried, oh god knows how much, to educate himself to go against all the human habits, and stereotypes, but the rage filled his veins when he had to deal with them.

Apparently, Taemin had a touch with the past, the baroque style suit expressed it perfectly, and it got him a fist of bullies, but he didn’t care, he never cared, and in the personality level, except to some known people, he didn’t interact much. Being cold to people was easier than breathing for him, and so he used it in his favor, always. He walked to the main office where he reviewed the documents until his phone rang.

“Good morning hyung.” He didn’t need to check, it was Jin Ki’s ringtone.

“How is your morning?” Jin Ki’s bright voice made Taemin sink in his chair; he hated to be reminded about how much Jin Ki was happy with his life, contrarily to him.

Trying to not sound disrespectful, he sighed as he massaged his temple. “Awful” He mumbled. “I have a lot of job to do, and exams are on the corner so I need to revise, but I had done nothing.” Jin Ki hummed, understanding, and Taemin could see the frown coming. “Hyung…” he warned.

“I told you to let me help.”

“Oh! God, please. Let’s not speak about it. I don’t want to burden you, hyung. Your wedding is soooo close! You didn’t even prepare your party. Aren’t you going to celebrate your last day as a single man?” Taemin turned the subject as fast as he could.

“Why would I? It’s not like I enjoyed the life of a single man. I was lonely…” Taemin froze. He didn’t expect such answer, for sure. “Except when you are around, Taeminnie. So let me enjoy my last days as a single man by helping you out.”

“You said I’ll be always your brother and best friend.” Taemin tried to sound as a teasing child, but his tears were threatening. “You can help me after the honey moon.”

“Argh. I use to love your persistence, but I do hate it now.” Jin Ki groaned. “I need to do something, you know. Dad disallowed me to go work, for weeks.”

“Oh. You see! I am sure he did that so you can prepare your part of the marriage. It’s your wedding day, Hyung. You should contribute.”

“What if I say that I don’t want to contribute?” Jin Ki said, after a short moment of silence. “What if I say that I want to be with you instead?” Taemin was literally holding sobs.

“Ok.” He soundlessly said.

“I’ll be there in minutes.” Jin Ki said as he ended the call, and Taemin stood, opening the window. He needed to breathe because he was in the verge of crying.  By the time Jin Ki’s car parked in front of the company, Taemin had regained his controlled expression, as he studied his files. “I didn’t make time to come.”

“Twenty minutes, to be exact.” Taemin said as he glanced toward his empty wrist. “You should be more punctual.” As he looked up, the teasing smile in his face doubled by how Jin Ki’s smile was turning him into a beautiful ball of cuteness.

“Ok, then where do I start, you brat?” Jin Ki asked him as he snatched the file from Taemin’s hand. “Oh no… The numbers you crossed have a huge marge of difference. You are screwed.”

“Tell me something I don’t know.” Taemin sighed, as he chuckled when he noticed Jin Ki’s shocked expression. “What do you think can save the company?”

“Taking risks, of course.” Jin Ki mumbled as he read the paper he had in front of him with an incredible concentration. “You need something to boost the sale for the next three months or you are screwed. The taxes are around 3 000 000 won, and you don’t have such money.”

“I do, actually.” Taemin said with a thoughtful expression. “but I was promised to use it for the sake of Mr Kim’s son well being.” Jin Ki’s expression broke into confusion. “Yeah, exactly my reaction. He had a son, and he did hide him for so long…”

“Did you meet that kid?”

“I did, yesterday.” Taemin admitted that the image crossing his mind was blinding him. Those red eyes…

“…Taemin?” Jin Ki’s voice reached him and he jumped. “You need to do something about the taxes; you have less than two months. Selling old books won’t help.”

“What do you suggest me then? South Korea is all about technologies, and everything can be sold online.” Taemin said as he stood to face the window again.

“Why don’t you try to add the Internet sale then? It will bring you more costumers.” Taemin nodded absently. “I will consider the charges and I’ll give you a small plan in three days, minimum.”

“Take your time, Hyung. If needed, I’ll have to use the money given to me until I repay the man back.” Taemin said before facing Jin Ki. “I’ll speak to him about it, so if you don’t mind, Hyung. I’ll go to the Kim Mansion now.”

“I’ll study those files, and join you later.” Taemin nodded, with a small smile as he ran down and out of the place. He took a cap to the Kim Mansion, before rushing directly to the backdoor. One of the men was there and he opened the door naturally for Taemin.

“Oh Mister Lee. We didn’t expect your visit.” The man who was dancing with Kai was standing right there, wearing an officer outfit, four guns hanging in his body.

“I need to speak to Kai, immediately.” The man just nodded and they both headed inside, and directly to the living room where Jongin had a laptop.

“He said he needs to speak to you.” The man said and Kai looked up, before deadly glaring at Taemin. Apparently, he had a very bad timing.

“ I am sorry for coming so suddenly, but I have something to tell you…” Taemin said as he sat across from Kai. “The company is having a financial crisis and I am afraid I need to use the money your father left to me in order to pay the taxes and the business register fees.” Taemin spoke in such hurry that it made the man standing by the door smile, while Kai’s expression didn’t change.

“I see. If it is not enough, you can come to me.” Kai said neutrally before looking back to his laptop, typing in a fast way, and it shocked Taemin.

Excuse me? What? How? And Why? It’s not like he has his money… or does he? Taemin stood and sneaked to see Jongin writing something in the doc file. He could only read one line.

“The blood tainted the white sheets, turning a beautiful sight into mere horror.” It didn’t take Taemin more than a second to understand.

“You write?” Kai stood and faced Taemin with the most painfully hateful expression ever. “I… I didn’t mean to peak but… you write… and you own your own publishing company! You can use that! And refresh the stocks, and bring up the costumers… if only.”

“No.” The simple sound made Taemin freeze. “I don’t write for public, so NO, thank you.”

“It’s not about you! It’s about your dad’s hard work. Write something for the public, something to refresh it! It’s a good idea since you own it, and you don’t have to wait for a percentage, the benefits of the book will all go to you, alongside with all the attention we will get.”

“Aren’t you a bit exaggerating?” Kai’s question froze Taemin who looked away, frowning.

“Maybe, I do.” Taemin said, sighing. “But you are offering me a way out, Kai. Do you believe I’ll give it up? It can save the company! Don’t think about what you win from it, and think of those people working for you. They will lose their job soon if we don’t do something.” When Taemin and Kai looked at each other in the eyes, Taemin’s heartbeat raced, as fear rushed in his veins. Kai looked hostile, and it made two more men show up standing by his side.

“You better follow me, sir.” The man, who led him in, pulled his arm.

“It’s ok, Minseok Hyung.” Kai spoke and Taemin winced as the man’s hold tensed in his arm, almost smashing it. , such strength in a tiny hand. The said Minseok let him go and stepped back as Kai stepped closer. “Don’t act like you care about those people…”

“Really?” Shocked by the sudden attack, Taemin hissed, smirking all of sudden. “I came all the way here to tell you about the financial issue your company is having, and you say that I act like caring?” Taemin gave him a low chuckle. “Humans never stop amazing me, all the time.” 

 


FEED ME BACK WITH YOUR COMMENTS, PLEAAAAAAAAAASE TToTT