ii

Spaces in These Places
 

 

Spaces In These Places - (ii)

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo nervously waited, shifting from one foot to another.

He brought a paper bag with him—filled with chocolates, and a welcome-home card hidden underneath.

He searched for a familiar blonde head, looking for his precious boyfriend everywhere. Sehun’s plane just landed and many have already arrived, hugging family members and loved ones. A little to the side, a young couple could be seen kissing after being reunited. Kyungsoo blushed—he felt a yearning to do the same. His lips tingled at the thought of getting to taste Sehun’s lips again. As many said nowadays, the struggle was real.

 

Finally, a tall lanky figure caught the small male’s attention. And just like that, Sehun emerged from the crowd of people—still so handsome, still so beautiful, still Kyungsoo’s Sehunnie. Even though it had only been three weeks, Kyungsoo felt like they’ve been apart for too long. No one had any idea how much he missed the guy. Tears began to well in his eyes, and before he knew it, he was running and running—until his small arms wrapped around a familiar waist, and his face buried in the chest that he loved.

 

“Well,” Sehun chuckled. “Someone’s looking needy.”

“Just shut up and hug me.”

 

The two held each other, basking in the warmth and comfort. Kyungsoo never wanted to let go. He tiptoed to press a soft kiss to Sehun’s lips—the feeling was electrifying.

 

“Kyungie, I think we should continue this at the dorm,” Sehun began, as he blushed.

“Yeah… sorry. I really missed you. You owe me three-weeks’ worth of dating.”

“Aye, aye captain.”

“Also, I brought you something!”

 

Kyungsoo handed Sehun the paper bag. The younger male laughed, seeing all the chocolate. He was surprised after finding the hidden welcome-home card underneath.

The couple then headed to their dorm. Sehun started unpacking his luggage, while Kyungsoo prepared a little food. Then after eating, they went to the couch as Kyungsoo fed Sehun chocolates, while the younger read his card.

 

Dear my beloved Sehunnie,

 

When you were gone, it was a little lonely for me. I kept trying to distract myself so I wouldn’t think of you. But of course every night, the empty space on my bed reminded me that you were far away. I missed you more than you’ll ever know. But now we’re together again, and that makes me really happy.

You are my sunshine, my moonlight, and my brightest star. You are the love of my life, now until forevermore.

Let’s spend more time together as the days go by, and love each other deeper and fuller than when we first began. I love you, Sehun. I really do. I always will.

Welcome back home.

 

-Your Kyungie <3

 

 

Sehun smiled after reading the card. He sat up and gave Kyungsoo a kiss on the cheek, before lying back down on the elder’s lap. Kyungsoo giggled and leaned to press a kiss atop Sehun’s forehead, as he fondly held Sehun’s face in his tiny palms.

Kyungsoo was so in love. So so in love.

 

 

“How was Singapore, sweetie?” Kyungsoo asked, as he fed Sehun another piece of chocolate.

“It was fun. We danced at the expo, took a tour around the place, and then had free time. We met a lot of fellow dancers from different schools, even those from Korea like us; and we all went out for foreign cuisine. We travelled around too. It was really great.”

“Wow, do you have pictures? I want to see!”

 

Sehun unlocked his phone, and went to the photos. Then he gave it to Kyungsoo, so the smaller male could have a look.

 

This is so cool!” Kyungsoo said, as he looked at the various tourist sites and food. There were also pictures of Sehun’s team at the dance expo. There were many other dancers as well, some even foreign.The event area looked spectacular, and the on-stage performances were just as delightful.

 

Kyungsoo soon noticed a certain guy in one of the photos. The guy was sort-of girly looking— big eyes, porcelain skin, pink lips, and blonde hair with a tinge of orange. His smile was radiating, and he had nice cheekbones too.Kyungsoo thought he looked like a flower boy from Korean dramas.

Moving on to the next photo, Mr. Flower boy was there again. And again. And again. And again.

Apparently, Sehun had a lot of pictures with this person—mostwere selfies with just the two of them.

The small male suddenly felt conscious about Mr. Flower boy. Kyungsoo knew Sehun loved him, but anyone would be jealous to see their boyfriend with someone else. Someone pretty at that.

 

“Sehunnie? Who’s this? A friend of yours?” Kyungsoo asked, as he showed the picture on the phone.

“Oh, that’s just Luhan hyung,” Sehun replied nonchalantly. “He’s a friend which I met at the dance expo. Turns out he studies in the university at the opposite end of our neighborhood.We met backstage before our performances, and we pretty much had a good connection. He and I are similar in many ways, so we became close. Yixing hyung and Minseok hyung have met him as well. Like Yixing hyung, Luhan’s also Chinese but was born here in Korea. You can guess that they talked in Mandarin, while Minseok hyung and I were totally clueless. But nevertheless, I still think Luhan hyung was closer to me.”

 

“Oh…” Kyungsoo replied glumly, as he bit his lower lip. Sehun seemed to like this “Luhan”.

“He’s very good-looking. I can see why you have so many pictures with him.”

 

“Is that jealousy I smell in the air?” Sehun chuckled, pinching Kyungsoo’s cheeks. “Is Kyungie-baby jelly?”

“S-Sehun!” Kyungsoo huffed, as he blushed. “Well, of course I would get jealous! Luhan looks so nice and you hung-out with him while I was gone! What if… what if you fell for him?”

“Aww, c’mon Kyungie.”

Sehun sat up as he took Kyungsoo in his arms. Kyungsoo instantly melted in his hold.

 

“So, what did you do here? What did you do while I was in Singapore?” the taller male changed the topic.

Kyungsoo noticed how Sehun didn’t answer his question, but he let it slide. He should trust Sehun, after all. Relationships are built on trust.

 

“Well, I went back to my parents’ place, in fact my stuff’s still there so I’m going back later to get it. I helped out a lot at the house, and studied too. Yifan hyung and I would occasionally eat out and stuff.”

“See? Yifan hyung’s also a handsome Chinese dude, but you don’t see me crying over it.”

“Alright, now hush. Let me finish with my story.”

“Go on.”

“So umm… yeah. Did you know I’m already entering senior year?”

“Oh, wow—now that you mention it, I’m also going to be a junior. Huh, time sure flies.”

“Yeah, so guess what? I had a job interview for an internship!”

“Wow, really? That’s great. How’d it go?”

“I… PASSED! The results came out yesterday, and Golden Industries is taking me in for a summer job! I start Monday morning!”

“Wow! I’m so proud of you! You must have done really well!”

“Yeah! So treat me out, okay!? You gotta reward me!”

“Then let’s go right now, shall we?”

“Wait, aren’t you tired from the trip? Do you want to rest?”

“Nah, slept the whole ride. I need some leg stretching.”

 

 

Sehun and Kyungsoo went to the park for a stroll. The day was pleasant, and there were kids around the area as well. Everything was serene and peaceful, as the couple held hands while walking. They spotted a swing set, and took turns pushing each other on the swing. Kyungsoo was scared to death at how high Sehun kept pushing him. When he got down, he gave his boyfriend a good beating. Then they rented roller skates nearby, and Sehun made sure Kyungsoo never fell down since it was his first time.

Pretty soon, the sunset was in view. The couple watched it in comfortable silence, as they ate ice cream while sitting on a bench. Kyungsoo spotted a balloon salesman handing balloons to children. He eyed a heart-shaped balloon, and knew he wanted it. He wondered if he could ask Sehun, but blushed at how silly and cheesy that would sound. Sehun noticed anyway, and bought it for the short male. Obviously, Kyungsoo smothered the guy in kisses.

 

Kyungsoo thought the world was perfect, as he laid his head on Sehun’s shoulder.

 

“Thanks for the balloon, Sehunnie.”

“Sure.”

“Uhh… did you sleep with Soo-bear back at Singapore?”

Seun chuckled. “I thought you were embarrassed by that name.”

Kyungsoo pinched his arm. “Don’t ruin the mood.”

“Yeah, I slept with it, hahaha. I was rooming with Yixing hyung and he thought it was cute. Luhan came to visit us often and always asked to hug it.”

“O-oh…” Kyungsoo didn’t really like the sound of that.

“But I don’t want him to hug it. Soo-bear is for you, Sehun. Only for you.”

“Let’s not be too dramatic now Kyungie.”

“No, I mean it,” Kyungsoo began to pout. “Why are you letting others touch it?”

“I think you mean, ‘why am I letting Luhan touch it’. It’s just a toy, Kyungie. And it’s not like I gave it away.”

“Yeah… you’re right…” Kyungsoo sighed. “I’m sorry… you’re the most perfect boyfriend in the world, and sometimes I just… I don’t know. Hahaha… I don’t want to ever think… a day would come where I lose you.”

A silent pause.

 

“Right… Hey, I think it’s time we go home. It’s getting late, and we still have to pick up your stuff from your parents’ place.”

Again, the younger male changed the topic. Kyungsoo wasn’t so comfortable about it, but once more, he chose to let it slide. Sehun probably didn’t mean to, and was thinking of going home early. He was a from a plane ride after all. Even though Sehun said otherwise, Kyungsoo still should have let him rest before they went out.

 

 

Lying on the bed, it felt good to have Sehun again. The warmth of his embrace, and the way his taller figure engulfed Kyungsoo’s own smaller one, completed the puzzle. Kyungsoo had never felt safer or more treasured. In the opposite bed, Soo-bear was also tucked in for the night.

 

“Sehunnie?”

“Yeah?”

“Remember our pinky promise before you left?”

“Uh… what was it again?”

“You aren’t serious are you? You promised you’d still love me when you come back. And now that you’re here, you gotta show me some loving.”

“I love you, Kyungsoo.”

“… Is that it?”

Sehun gave Kyungsoo a peck.

“Oh my… you don’t love me anymore!?” Kyungsoo dramatized.

Sehun snorted, as he moved to tickle Kyungsoo furiously; the small male was laughing and writhing for mercy.

“O-ok! I believe you! I believe you! You still love me after all.”

 

The taller ceased fire, and went back to their earlier sleeping position; cradling Kyungsoo close to his chest. Kyungsoo could here Sehun’s steady heart beat softly thrumming. He found so much peace in it.

 

“Let’s go to sleep now, ok Kyung?”

“Yeah. I love you, Sehunnie.” Kyungsoo placed a kiss on Sehun’s nose tip.

“I love you too,” Sehun returned it.

 

 

Eight hours a day, spent in an office doing clerical work. Photocopying, delivering, filing records—all the small jobs that some employees are too busy to do, and that’s why they need someone to work on it while they focus on the bigger jobs. That’s what Kyungsoo’s for.

 

Being an intern in Golden Industries, Kyungsoo was nothing but enthusiastic. Sure, photocopying manuscripts or shredding outdated papers was a chore, but hey: you have to start little before you get to the big leagues. So Kyungsoo never complained, nor did he stop from smiling at everyone he saw. He was just that excited and happy about his job. Once he finished with this preparatory stage, Joonmyeon said he could move on to actually interviewing applicants. That would be awesome.

 

At work, Kyungsoo happened to meet a certain Byun Baekhyun. The eye-liner sporting male was an intern like him, and was studying at a university from the neighboring city. Kyungsoo was fascinated at how demure and proper Baekhyun was with speaking to co-workers. Even though he was just an intern, everyone could see that Baekhyun had good communication skills. Not only that, but of course his looks made the lady employees favor him.Kyungsoo was no different—they were both baby-faced, and the noonas just adored them. Too bad they were both gay, which caused some laughter on their part.

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun got along pretty well, and they won Joonmyeon’s trust. The elder thought they were quite reliable and would be hired permanently as soon as they graduate; provided that their performance continued to improve. Who would have thought that Joonmyeon was son of the owner? Golden Industry’s one and only heir. And Kyungsoo befriended him. Indeed, the short male felt blessed.

 

During lunch break, there also happened to be some tanned male always spying on Kyungsoo. While he and Baekhyun ate, a tanned male with mocha brown locks always came to hide at some corner and peek at them. Baekhyun was the first to notice.

 

“Hey, I think that cutie’s checking out your Soo-booty,” Baekhyun teased.

Kyungsoo raised a brow and glanced over his shoulder.

The tanned male immediately flushed pink, and hid himself.

 

“Hmm… he seems sort of familiar…” Kyungsoo said as he waved around a chopstick. And then he remembered.

“Oh! I think I bumped into him or something… can’t remember when, but I think I bumped into him one time. That’s pretty much it.”

“Well, you’ve got him spell-bound at first sight, you seductive little fox you~” Baekhyun wiggled his brows.

“Excuse me Baek hyung, but I’m taken, thank you very much,” Kyungsoo said as-a-matter-of-fact. “I don’t need another man. I’m perfectly in love with Sehunnie, and he with me, and we’ll be together forever. And ever and ever and ever.”

“Wow, such vivid dreams, my dear,” Baekhyun teased. But then his playful look changed to something more reflective. “He’s your first love isn’t he?”

“Yeah…” Kyungsoo blushed just thinking about Sehun. “Sehun and I… we’re destined for each other.”

“That sounds nice… It really does.”

“Thanks. What about you Baek hyung? You’ve never really spoken about your partner.”

“That’s because I’m still in the process of finding him,” Baekhyun sighed.

“I… was in love with my childhood friend, Park Chanyeol. He was really everything I ever wanted in a guy… But we were kids, you know? I didn’t think there was a relationship outside of friendship. I just thought that I really liked him, because we were best friends or something.

But then some years later, he moved to Florida and… that’s the only time I found out my true feelings for him. In the time I could only Skype with him on the computer, I realized how empty my days were without having him around. He was the center of my world… he made life complete. Without him, having fun was pointless; nothing was fun without Chanyeol. Sure, I made some other friends but… he was irreplaceable. No one else made such an impact in my life.

However by the time I realized I loved him, it was too late. He already got some foreign girlfriend named Chelsea Miller. The hardest part was him introducing me to her. Calling me his best friend and all, saying that he just had to introduce her to me before anyone else.

I… I couldn’t confess my love… I never even found out if he was gay, but I guess that’s obviously out of the picture. So, yeah… our love story ended before it even started,” Baekhyun pulled a sad smile.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that…” Kyungsoo felt lonely hearing Baekhyun’s story.

 

“Well, it’s alright. I’m struggling because I’m stuck in the friend-zone, but that’s fine. As long as Chelsea makes him happy… I’ll support him. We still talk from time to time, Skyping and all, but much less now since we’re all busy with our own lives. Chelsea seems like a nice girl, you know? Sweet and bubbly. They… they look good together…

 

However, I’m not giving up on my own love. I’m sure he’s out there-- I’m sure there’s someone waiting for me to find them. Until then… I’ll just keep looking.

So, I hope you really treasure Sehun, ok? You’re quite the lucky one. Make him feel loved every day, and create moments that the two of you will remember. Live happily, you two.”

 

“Thanks Baek hyung, we will. And don’t worry, I’m sure your man is just around the corner. I’ll help you find him too.”

 

 

“Sehun?” Kyungsoo came home to an empty dorm.

A note was placed on the table. “Out with friends for dinner, don’t wait up,” scrawled lazily.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t mind, but he wished Sehun could have heated him up some dinner before leaving. Dumping his bag on the floor, the small male headed to the kitchen for a glass of milk. Then he heated up some instant noodles, because he was too tired to cook.

Eight hours a day was a lot of work, after all. His mandatory 200 hours will eat up this whole month, before the school year starts. Kyungsoo pouted as he wouldn’t be able to schedule a lot of dates with Sehun; the most they could do was once a week. But he shook his head; determined to show love to Sehun every day. Whether it’s as simple as hugging him a little tighter, or letting him hang-out with his friends as often as he wanted, Kyungsoo wanted Sehun to feel cared for and cherished.

 

Upon eating noodles while watching television, Kyungsoo decided to dial Sehun’n number; just to check on him. When Sehun answered, he could hear loud music blasting on the background.

 

“Sehun? Sehunnie?”

“Kyungsoo! What’s up!? The music’s pretty loud here, so just tell me what you need. We’ll talk more in the morning.”

“Uhmm… nothing really. I just miss you. Are you safe and having fun?”

“Yeah! Don’t worry about me!”

“I see… uh… listen, do you want to go on a date this Saturday? Since I’m busy with work on weekdays, I thought we could… you know… make Saturdays into Saturdates. So we can be together more.”

“Saturdates? That’s cute, baby. Sure, let’s do it! Now go to sleep, you must be tired.”

“Yeah, ok. Love you, Sehun. Goodnight.”

“I love you too. Sleep tight.”

 

 

Kyungsoo finished eating and got ready for bed. He put on Sehun’s shirt—the one he always wore when he missed Sehun—and a pair of comfortable shorts. Then he lied on the bed, hugging Soo-bear.

 

I wonder where we’ll go this Saturday, Kyungsoo thought as he closed his eyes.

But then again, it doesn’t matter where. As long as I’m with Sehun, we can go anywhere.

 

 

The Saturdate wasn’t as fun as Kyungsoo expected.

 

It started out great, as he and Sehun decided to visit the zoo. They saw and took photos of all the animals: from the cute little bunnies, to the majestic lions and tigers; the peacock with its beautiful feathers, and the elephants with their large ears and trunks. The parrot imitating Sehun’s expressionless statements was the best. They had a good laugh at how accurate it was.

After eating lunch, the couple bought matching jungle-themed t-shirts, as they held hands while walking. Cotton candy was soon spotted, and Sehun got some. They shared it and fed each other. At one point, Kyungsoo couldn’t help but kiss Sehun for just being so beautiful in every way. Kyungsoo was so happy.

A mother with her child passed by. She showed a face of disgust as she covered the child’s eyes. Kyungsoo blushed as he remembered that not everyone was accepting.It somehow dampened his mood to remember their kind was frowned upon in public. But then Sehun hugged him and returned the kiss, so the world felt right again.

The taller male, plucked a flower from somewhere on the ground. Kyungsoo was pretty sure they weren’t allowed to do that. But Sehun did anyway, and he tucked the flower behind Kyungsoo’s ear, making the smaller blush. Sehun then took out the camera, telling Kyungsoo to smile. The latter complied happily, as the shutter clicked to snap the photo. Sehun whistled, stating “that’s my pretty baby” as he took a look at the shot. Kyungsoo hugged him, and they just stood there for a while. Nothing else mattered.

 

That was, until Sehun’s phone rang.

The world pretty much crumbled after that.

 

Fifteen minutes passed, half an hour soon did; it seemed like the conversation wasn’t going to end. The couple was down to their last round trip of the zoo, because the sun was beginning to set. And still, Sehun was on the phone.

Kyungsoo had tried to get his attention; had tugged on his shirt, and pouted liked a child. But Sehun didn’t want to hang up. Sometime later, it was noticeable that many have begun to make their way out of the zoo to go home. Even the staff seemed to be making final rounds on all the animals.

Eventually, Kyungsoo was stomping his feet and pulling on his hair. They were on a date, for goodness’s sakes. But half of it was thrown away because Sehun was too busy to care.

 

“Sehun! You’ve been on the phone for hours! What’s taking so long!?” The small male complained, arms crossed.

Sehun groaned, as he rolled his eyes; covering the phone with his hand. “Kyungsoo please, be more mature, will you? It’s Luhan hyung, and it’s the first time we’ve talked ever since the dance expo. If you were talking to a good friend you hadn’t seen in a while, would you like being interrupted?”

“But Sehun, we’re on a date! Can’t it wait? Can’t he call back later? Look! The sun’s setting already; the day’s almost over. ”

“He’s in China, visiting some relatives. This is an international call, so it’s expensive. You can’t just tell him to call later, Kyungsoo. It cost him a lot to make this call.”

“So what? If it takes another hour, you’re just going to let him keep going? What about our date? When will you tell him to stop?”

 

Sehun sighed. “Look, I don’t want to be rude to him, ok? If you want to keep seeing the zoo, why don’t you go see it on your own?”

 

Kyungsoo gaped at how Sehun so easily brushed him off. The tall male shook his head, as he uncovered the phone. Sehun trudged forward, leaving Kyungsoo to just stand there, so utterly shocked and confused.

 

“Sehun? Who was that?” Luhan asked, from the other end of the phone.

“Nothing, nothing. Now, when did you say you’ll be back in Korea?”

“Oh yeah! I’ll be back around…”

 

 

And Kyungsoo was there. The flower on his ear fell to the ground, sound silent to the ears. Just like the crack that formed on his heart.

It started out with water gathering in his eyes, and his lips wobbling. Then his shoulders began to shake, as whimpers fell from his mouth. Then he began to sob like a child, left alone to play with himself. Only it was much more than that. It felt like Sehun didn’t care enough for their date; it felt like being left behind so easily.

A zoo staff member saw Kyungsoo and thought he was a lost kid, or something.

Oh, Kyungsoo was lost alright. He felt so very very lost.

 

 

The trip back home was spent in silence. They rode a taxi back to their dorm and neither spoke.

They slept in separate beds that night.

Kyungsoo was having a hard time taking it all in. This was the first time something like this happened throughout their relationship. Was this their first fight? It was more of just an argument, though. Was this serious? Did couples usually survive this kind of thing?

He hoped Sehun would just apologize the next day. Apologize sincerely, and promise to do better next time. Then he would forgive him, because Kyungsoo just can’t resist Sehun. And everything would be alright again.

 

But apparently, that wasn’t going to happen.

Sehun never apologized. If anything, he became quite distant.

 

Kyungsoo was so afraid of the change. He didn’t want things to end over something so little. So he swallowed his pride, because this wasn’t even his fault, and he apologized to Sehun.

Sehun accepted the apology with absolutely no emotion on his face, as they hugged. Even the hug felt as cold as ice to Kyungsoo.

It wasn’t right. He was scared.

 

 

Every day, Kyungsoo told Sehun he loved him. He expected less from the younger, and did everything by himself. He never complained that Sehun didn’t think of preparing him dinner, for when he came back tired from work. Instead, Sehun would just be watching television or be out with friends, while Kyungsoo would go straight to the kitchen upon returning home. He didn’t mind that Sehun wasn’t showing affection like before; he it up, and pretended to appreciate what was there.

Kyungsoo showered Sehun with as much attention as he could give, and tried to revert things back to the way they used to be. Soon, Sehun was sleeping on the same bed again, and their interactions were less strained. In time, things returned to normal, but not really.

 

There were still phone calls that lasted long hours; whether early in the morning or during dinner time. Luhan’s name constantly flashed on Sehun’s cellphone screen, and Kyungsoo’s lower lip was becoming swollen by how much he’s been chewing on it lately. The fear was eating him alive. Even with Sehun sleeping beside him at night, he couldn’t sleep. Baekhyun noticed Kyungsoo’s bloodshot eyes, and deep dark circles. He voiced his concern, but Kyungsoo would just tell him not to worry. Even though inside, Kyungsoo somehow knew things weren’t going to be okay.

 

 

What about forever? Sehun and Kyungsoo we’re supposed to get married someday.

Kyungsoo still remembered their 2nd anniversary well—the way Sehun made it seem his love was unwavering. When they danced to a slow song in the dance club room, and it was just the two of them. Before all this madness. Before Singapore. Before Luhan.

 

Their happy ending… was fading away ever so clearly.

 

 

Soon enough, time passed and the school year began again. For Kyungsoo, it would be for the last time.

His internship was finished; he and Baekhyun stayed in touch through phone calls. He devoted his time to studying well, while attending to Sehun with no less care. Sehun remained the way he was; still got Luhan’s number on speed dial, even when doing homework at the dorm. One day, Kyungsoo was surprised to see he wasn’t Sehun’s screen saver anymore. One could only guess who it was.

He confronted Sehun about it in the nicest way possible, asking him why Luhan’s picture was on his phone. The taller male simply shrugged, and said he felt like changing it.

 

 

Their 3rd anniversary came.

 

Kyungsoo wanted to go to the new 3D theater at the nearby mall. Then they could stroll around and buy clothes for each other. And maybe eat somewhere nice, before settling to bond together on the couch.

Just like they used to.

Back when Sehun’s head laid down on Kyungsoo’s lap, as the latter combed his fingers through Sehun’s hair. Back when dates mattered, love mattered, and Kyungsoo mattered. Back when kisses meant something, and time spent together was special.

 

Sehun skipped their anniversary in favor of picking up Luhan from the airport, as the Chinese male had returned to Korea. He said he promised to spend the whole day with the guy, and apologized to Kyungsoo for forgetting their anniversary.

 

The small male just smiled; what was he supposed to say? That their anniversary was more important than Luhan? Of course not—apparently, Luhan was the most important thing to Sehun these days.

 

“Could you at least… make it home for dinner?” Kyungsoo asked, almost pleadingly. He could feel himself ready to cry again, but he held back. “I’ll cook us a big meal, with candle-light and everything. I’ll probably buy a cake too. Then we could just eat together as a celebration.”

 

“Alright, got it.” Sehun replied, while putting on his sneakers, barely even sparing a glance to his boyfriend of three years. “I’m going now. Love you, babe.”

“Love you too, sweetie,” Kyungsoo hugged Sehun goodbye. “See you later. Have fun.”

 

 

The moment the door was closed, Kyungsoo sat on the floor.

He curled up into a ball, as he let the tears flow down freely.

 

 

That night, he waited and waited. The dinner was set up, the candles lit, and the cake on the table. A “Happy Anniversary!” banner hung on the kitchen wall, as the clock continued to tick: half past seven. Surely Sehun would be home any minute now, if not at around eight o’clock.

Kyungsoo decided to dress himself a little nicely. He neatly combed his hair in an upward do, and applied eyeliner the way Baekhyun taught him. He chose a spiffy dress shirt, slacks, and leather shoes he shined with polish. Even if they couldn’t go out today, who said it should be any less of an occasion? Kyungsoo was determined to make things work. Things would be alright.

 

There were matters he wanted to talk about with Sehun. Like, when he graduates and starts working, maybe he could save some money for an apartment of their own. They could continue living together in a nicer and bigger place, and call it a home that was theirs. Kyungsoo would like to ask… when Sehun wanted to maybe… move a step forward and get engaged. He kept forgetting that his family wanted to meet Sehun, and maybe tonight was finally the time to ask. In hopes of ending up with… a fiancé.

 

Three years together. The ride was so easy at first, but now they were experiencing some turbulent waves. But Kyungsoo believed this was just a phase, just a stage—this was the time to prove their love more than anything. Maybe if he mentioned marriage, or engagement, or forever—maybe Sehun would remember how he used to love Kyungsoo.  How he used to hold him and talk to him—how their flame could still be sparked. That Kyungsoo was still wholeheartedly waiting, for a day to come where Sehun would bend down on one knee… and maybe, love him for the rest of his life.

 

Perhaps three years was a little early. Perhaps Kyungsoo could wait. But with how Sehun had been all about Luhan this past month, Kyungsoo felt the need to remind Sehun he was the boyfriend. That they weren’t playing games here; this was a serious relationship. They… they had to talk about this.

 

The door creaked, and Kyungsoo closed his eyes. He exhaled to calm himself, to prepare as he heard footsteps getting louder. When he opened his eyes again, he looked in the mirror and thought Sehun would be pleased. Tonight, it was just about them. They were going to set things straight, and get right back on track. Their love was strong, Kyungsoo believed. Their love would overcome.

 

 

He stepped out with a winning smile, ready to meet Sehun.

But what he didn’t expect was to see Luhan.

His smile instantly disappeared.

 

 

“Hi Kyungsoo, this is Luhan. Luhan this is Kyungsoo. I hope you don’t mind he’ll be joining us for dinner tonight,” Sehun said as he openly smiled at Luhan before Kyungsoo’s eyes.

Luhan may have had an innocent face, but there was something about his smile that was devious. Kyungsoo didn’t know if he was just imagining it. But when Luhan spoke, the suspicion was confirmed.

 

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Kyungsoo. Sehun’s told me a lot about you.

You’re just as average as I expected. Below average even.

You must feel so inferior being with Sehun, don’t you? Is that why you act like his maid, and follow his every whim? So he won’t leave you?

Much like a dog. Like a pet dog boyfriend. How amusing.

You must be thankful that he stooped down to your level to have a relationship with you. I wouldn’t be caught dead in those clothes you’re wearing, since they’re probably not branded. Nor with that hairstyle, it simply does not suit you. But I think average people really look average no matter what, right? There’s just nothing they can do to look better.

And is this what you’ve prepared for your anniversary with him? Wow, how plain. Reminds me of a kid’s a party. You should really just order out next time, Kyungsoo…”

 

 

It all happened so quickly.

Out of bottled up anger, Kyungsoo punched Luhan. It was all this guy's fault: Sehun's changes, the sleepless nights, and the tear streaks that dried upon Kyungsoo's face. Luhan was behind everything. He was a monster, Kyungsoo thought. He was so evil for stealing away Sehun's attention. He deserved to get punched.

The Chinese male fell to the ground, lower lip busted and bleeding. Sehun immediately came to his aid.

 

“Kyungsoo!? What is wrong with you!?”

“Me!? Did you not hear anything he said to me!? He practically insulted me right in your face! Aren’t you going to care? Aren’t you going to defend me?”

“Why would I defend you, when all he’s said was true anyway?”

“I… what?” Kyungsoo could feel the familiar sting of his shattering heart.

 

 

Sehun sighed. Kyungsoo didn’t know what was going on.

 

“Well, I guess I can’t really play this charade any longer. Luhan, could you please wait for me outside?”

“Certainly, Sehunnie.” Even with a busted lip, Luhan had the audacity to smirk at Kyungsoo as he went outside.

 

 

Now it was just Sehun and Kyungsoo, but not the way Kyungsoo had wanted.

 

“Look Kyungsoo… I… I’m not in love with you anymore,” Sehun began, as he pulled a chair to sit down.

Kyungsoo couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

 

“Ever since I returned from Singapore, ever since I met Luhan, my interest in you had really declined. I tried to play along, and act like I still cared; say I love you and all that stuff. I’ve been pretending for quite a while now.

But really—it’s Luhan I’ve come to like, ok? He’s… he’s much more beautiful than you, and richer, and he’s a dancer too. I can talk to him about a lot of things, because he’s been to different countries, and experienced all sorts of cool things. When I was in Singapore, he showed that he liked me and he really impressed me by all the things he did and gave. He was the one who paid for all our dates, but with you I always have to pay half. He bought me all the clothes I wanted, and I didn’t have to give anything in return. He treated me like a prince, and I felt that he really wanted me to notice him.

But how could I not when he’s so beautiful? He’s got these eyes, and this face, and these lips! When he smiles, it’s just… it’s perfect! He’s like a doll.” Sehun began to blush. Kyungsoo’s heart ached at the sight; Sehun had not even batted an eyelash at him, even though he was dressed up right now.

 

“I’m really attracted to him. I’m sorry, but the feelings I had for you … it just disappeared the moment I met Luhan. He’s what I want now, so… yeah,” Sehun returned back to his stoic expression.

“I don’t love you anymore, Kyungsoo. You are kind of like a maid, now that Luhan mentioned it, since you cook and clean. And I guess you’re sort of like a dog, for always being so needy and wanting to spend time with me. Compared to Luhan, you’re nothing but simple and poor. The food you made for our anniversary dinner? Luhan could buy better and more expensive things.

He is on a whole different level. You can’t compare, Kyungsoo.”

 

“So… you’ve been cheating on me?” Kyungsoo asked, feeling so vulnerable and little. All his hopes were crushed, and he’s stopped believing by now. To hear those words from Sehun, it hurts so much to feel this weak. It's taking all his strength too keep standing right now.

 

“A-all this time, you were seeing Luhan? But… why? I... I don't understand...”

 

“Didn’t I make it obvious enough, with how I changed topics and from the phone call at the zoo?” Sehun replied in impatience. “I tried to show you I didn’t care anymore, but you were so persistent. I really made it obvious Luhan was my priority now, and I was waiting for you to break up with me. I wanted you to hate me so you'd end our relationship.”

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip, as the words sunk in. “B-but Sehun, I-I’m sure I can make you love me again.

Y-you can’t just decide this on your own… You were the one who said I was your forever! You continued to say you loved me, even when it was all a lie? Why would you do that? Why would you not love me, just because someone prettier came along? I thought we had something more than that!

You and I, we’re supposed to love each other until the end of time! You pinky promised you’d still love me when you come back!”

 

“Well, promises are meant to be broken, aren’t they?”

 

Sehun moved past Kyungsoo, heading to their bedroom.

He took out a big bag, and started taking out all his clothes from the cabinet he and Kyungsoo shared.

 

“W-what are you doing!? Sehun, please stop!” Kyungsoo cried, as he powerlessly held onto Sehun’s arm.

Sehun forcefully pushed him away, making his back hit the door.

 

“I’m breaking up with you, Kyungsoo,” Sehun said so easily, as if Kyungsoo never mattered in the first place.

He continued to pack and take all his belongings. Kyungsoo cried harder for every step Sehun took. He didn’t want them to fall apart.

 

“Sehun! Sehun, please! Don’t leave Sehun!” Kyungsoo’s eyes were overflowing with tears, as he saw Sehun take everything. His toiletries, his clothes, and books for school. Every sign that Sehun had ever lived with Kyungsoo was disappearing. Every sign that they were ever together… that they loved each other for three whole years, was going to be nothing but a memory.

 

The small male helplessly snatched Sehun’s bag, just as the tall male was set to leave.

 

“Kyungsoo, give it back.” Sehun said in a firm tone.

“N-no!” The small male sobbed.

“We can make things better Sehun! I still love you, e-even if you cheated on me, even if you love s-someone else. I-I can make you love me again! Just tell me w-what I have to do, Sehun… Tell me where I went wrong… I’ll fix it. We can fix this.

 

Please don’t go away. Please say you’ll stay.

I still love you… I really really do. With all my heart.”

 

Kyungsoo’s breathing had become ragged, and he could no longer form a coherent sentence. He was crying so hard, it was difficult to keep his eyes open. He clutched Sehun’s bag tightly, holding on it as if his life depended on it. Maybe it did. Sehun was his life, after all.

 

 

He could hear Sehun sigh, as the tall male made his way towards him. Kyungsoo’s grip tightened some more; he didn’t want Sehun leave. If Sehun would try to rip the bag away from him, he wasn’t going to let that happen.

 

He was so surprised when a familiar hand touched his cheek gently. Sehun had carefully thumbed away a tear, as the other hand moved to brush away Kyungsoo’s hair from his eyes. And then Sehun leaned in.

 

 

A kiss for the very last time. Words unspoken expressed in that brief touch.

I’m sorry. You didn’t do anything wrong. It’s me… I just don’t love you anymore.

The spark is gone.

 

 

In that moment, Kyungsoo saw their whole relationship flash before his eyes. When they first met, to when they got together, down to where they were now.

 

The feeling of Sehun’s lips brought a new a batch of tears to his eyes. Did Luhan get to taste this as well? Did he get to kiss Sehun, hold Sehun, and tell him he loves him? Did Sehun return it? Were they… were they happy? Happier than Sehun was with Kyungsoo?

 

As Sehun’s lips began to draw away, Kyungsoo got scared. He quickly let go of Sehun’s bag, to reach out and hold Sehun’s face. Touch it one last time, feel it for the final moment. It seemed this might have been Sehun’s plan all along, as the tall male reached out to grab his bag.

But he didn’t leave yet. Maybe he finally pitied Kyungsoo.

He let Kyungsoo hold him. He let Kyungsoo’s thumb trace over his eyes, nose, cheeks and lips. He let Kyungsoo go in for a hug, as the small male’s wet face buried in his chest. He let Kyungsoo slot their fingers together, one last time.

He let it end, when he pulled away.

 

As Sehun’s back began to move farther and farther, Kyungsoo remembered how he was left for Singapore. He should have been selfish when he had the chance. He shouldn’t have let Sehun leave.

 

But now, Sehun was walking out the door. Out of their relationship. Out of his life.

 

Left in the bedroom was a small stuffed bear. The one thing Sehun didn’t take with him.

The taller had decided to leave this love, to pursue another.

Kyungsoo was left with only memories to remember.

 

 

 

 

----

Author's note

+ Hello? (echoes) Is anyone still reading this? hahaha. Sorry for the late update~

But good news, tomorrow's my last exam date! (parties with penguins~)