Prologue

Want and Resent

When you’re young, you don’t really think about why or how you became friends with someone. They say hi, you’re friends. They lend you a pencil, you’re friends. They stand up for you against an enemy, you’re friends. Things are simpler when you’re young. They just are. They exist and you don’t really question it. But as you get older, things become seemingly more complicated. You nitpick, question everything. You wonder why, you need to know why. People become obsessed with reasons. But does it really matter? Are things really more complicated or do we just make them complicated for no good reason? Why do things that were not important suddenly become defining?

It was certainly the case for Taeyeon and Jessica. Their personalities were clashing to say the least. But sometimes clashing could also be complementary. What one isn’t, the other one is. However, it was all beside the point because Taeyeon and Jessica had known each other since before they could form memories, so an intrinsic bond formed between the two. There was no questioning why they were friends. They just were.

Taeyeon had always been an imaginative and dreamy child. Often timid and melancholic even at a young age, she was very agreeable but it did not mean that she was necessarily happy. She was kind and caring to others but was never quite understood by those around her. Quite simply, she was a victim of her own compassion and sensitivity. Despite being insightful and witty, her peaceful nature and unwillingness to offend anyone could sometimes make her seem insincere or dishonest.

Jessica on the other hand was a very temperamental child. She was often short-tempered, opinionated, stubborn and selfish, always needing things to go her way but it didn’t mean that she didn’t care about others. However, she was also intelligent, resourceful and independent. In fact she was kind hearted and loving but her means were driven by her passion and strong will. If she didn’t care about something she wouldn’t even give it a second thought but she was certainly critical of herself as much, if not more, as those she cared about. But just like Taeyeon, Jessica was very much so misunderstood by many.

On paper, these two were certainly anything but compatible but as children, they both had pure and innocent hearts and so they clung to each other. It was actually a rather adorable and remarkable friendship. When Jessica was frustrated and when her temper flared, the patient Taeyeon would comfort her, and the willful Jessica managed to keep Taeyeon grounded. But most importantly, they actually manage to understand each other. They didn’t necessarily agree with each other all the time but they understood each other. And truthfully, they each secretly admired the other, and admiration that lead to both adoration and envy.

It was just the twosome for a while. They played, they laughed, they fought, they cried. It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary and yet it was extraordinary because they had each other. And they were a little reluctant to let anyone else in. They both had other friends of course, but no one else was really allowed into their little private universe. That was until first grade when a little bunny somehow managed to find her way down the rabbit hole that lead her there, and ironically enough, Jessica was more welcoming of Tiffany than Taeyeon was.

Tiffany was, in a way, the opposite of both Taeyeon and Jessica at first glance but in fact she was the missing link between the two. She was a bright, magnetic and out-going child. Certainly not shy about anything, she enjoyed attention and socializing. Although she enjoyed the spotlight, she wasn’t self-centered. She was also warm and caring. In fact, she liked taking care of others but sometimes it was more for self-gratification but her intentions were still good; it was never at the cost of someone else. She got along well with both Taeyeon and Jessica because she brought balance. Jessica had someone she felt was equal to her and Taeyeon had someone who brought her out of her shell.

Jessica was first to meet Tiffany. Even though Jessica wasn’t exactly the very talkative type, she certainly did not hold back when it came to sharing opinions. Tiffany on the other hand was just talkative. And as 6-year-old conversations went, Jessica found that Tiffany was the kind of person she enjoyed talking to; intelligent and slightly cheeky. But when she introduced Tiffany to Taeyeon, Taeyeon wasn’t quite as eager. It wasn’t that Taeyeon didn’t like Tiffany, because she did, but she just wasn’t used to being around someone quite as rambunctious as Tiffany was. But things eventually settled down and Taeyeon warmed up to Tiffany, and the twosome became a trio.

As a trio, the girls were formidable. The other kids were usually annoyed by them because they were loud, opinionated but also intelligent and talented. As duos, each pair had its own personality. Taeyeon and Jessica were really cerebral and deep-thinking as a pair. They often shared opinions that others would rather not talk about or did not understand. Taeyeon and Tiffany were the odd pair who were sensitive and compassionate. They often shared feelings and secrets with each other. Tiffany and Jessica were always in a power struggle. Both always needed to be right but more often than not, the enemy was never each other.

All in all, their friendship was one that just cannot be summed up merely with words. Because it was theirs. It was their universe. It was one of those everyday little miracles that only the people involved could truly appreciate. And they grew inseparable. But as time would have it, they each began to change, slowly. Taeyeon grew closer to Tiffany, having shared so much feelings and emotions with each other. She was also often lost in the world of art; her way of expressing herself. Tiffany became a social butterfly whom everyone loved and was popular in school, especially with the boys. Jessica alternated between being a lazy student and an overachieving one, but she did well without really even trying. She had a lot of ambition but tended to lose interest easily. Nevertheless, the three remained close, closer than ever despite being three distinct individuals.

There was, however, one tiny problem - their feelings for each other got complicated. The fact was, Jessica had always had a secret crush on Taeyeon, since the very beginning. It was why that despite their clashing personalities, Jessica was still awfully fond of Taeyeon. But she hid her feelings as best as she could. She was confused by it, feared it. Sometimes this lead to overcompensation which in turn lead to her butting heads with Taeyeon. If it were not for their long standing friendship, they would have easily drifted apart. Tiffany was also usually the diffuser in these situations, keeping the peace between them. But in fact, it actually exacerbated the situation because Taeyeon was starting to develop feelings beyond friendship for Tiffany.

Taeyeon’s attempts to hide her feelings, however, were not as successful. Both Jessica and Tiffany were well aware of how Taeyeon felt. It broke Jessica’s heart. She wanted to be angry with the other two but she couldn’t; they were beyond precious to her. Tiffany tried her best not encourage Taeyeon’s feelings for her but it wasn’t quite so black and white. Although Tiffany’s feelings for Taeyeon were strictly platonic, she loved Taeyeon. It wasn’t a relationship that came by on a daily basis or even every decade. It was special, beyond special, and Tiffany made no apologies for it. While careful not to string Taeyeon along, Tiffany pushed the boundaries of their friendship and sometimes lines were just so blurred. Taeyeon was also, at times, somewhat jealous of Tiffany and Jessica. The two were flirty and playful around each other when they were not bickering about something or rather, but it was all fun and games.

The thing was, Taeyeon wasn’t quite sure if she was jealous of Tiffany or Jessica. She knew she certainly had romantic feelings for Tiffany but her feelings for Jessica were way more complicated. She had always adored Jessica very much but Jessica’s new found attitude towards her had caused some misunderstandings. She knew something was off but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it. More surprisingly though, she found that Jessica’s distance had caused some longing in her. She actually missed Jessica dearly and at times the latter was all Taeyeon could think about when they were apart. And despite everything, whenever Taeyeon needed her, Jessica would always be there.

It was complicated. Very complicated. The three were teetering on the edge of a cliff and things were getting critical...