Annoying Sisters And Lunch

Ambiguity

 

This is more of a filler chapter in preparation for the next, which should shine some light on other ambiguous elements present in the story. This chapter, hopefully, would reveal more about Dara and Jiyong's relationship before they went to College.



 

 

 

"Good morning," I called, bounding down the stairs, taking two at a time.

 

Durami grumbled a "morning" as she frowned at her bowl of cereal. She's slumped forward, resting her elbows on the table, her chin resting on her knuckles. Ji Eun was beside her, patiently waiting for her to finish her breakfast before they head off for school.

 

"Morning, Dara," Ji Eun chirped, as bubbly as ever. "You're in a good mood today. Normally you're like, 'Ji Eun, how can you be so upbeat in the mornings?' and, 'Excuse my lack of coherency, I'm not a morning person'. Is something happening today?"

 

I shook my head, pouring myself a steaming cup of coffee. I bew on it, watching as the flimsy wisps of steam begin to dissipate.

 

Durami suddenly perked up, straightening up, alert. She grinned, regarding me slyly. "It's got something to do with, Jiyong," she stated.

 

I gaped, startled, and then frowned. "No, it hasn't," I argued, "I'm just happy today."

 

She looked smug because she held the transcendent knowledge of who I'd spoken on the phone to last night. Unfortunately, Durami had been the one who had picked up the phone when Jiyong had rung me, wanting to talk about our English project.

 

Durami declared, "You were on the phone with him for over an hour last night. Both Mom and I could hear you laughing away, as well. She didn't believe me when I told her who was on the phone, because you were talking almost civilly together."

 

I felt heat entering my cheeks and I looked away quickly, turning my attention to the contents inside of the fridge.

 

"She's blushing!" Ji Eun exclaimed.

 

"It doesn't mean anything," I protested. And it doesn't, at all. "We were discussing our English project together. It's due in soon and we've still got a bit to do."

 

"For a whole hour?" Durami inquired.

 

I turned round sharply, content the blush has faded from my cheeks. "It wasn't an hour!"

 

"It was."

 

"Was not."

 

"Was."

 

"Was not."

 

"Then how long was it?"

 

I shrugged. "Does it matter? It was purely about our project, nothing else." Okay, perhaps that was a little white lie, because although it had originally been solely about the project, it had quickly transpired into our favorite authors, our favorite novels, and our favorite music. Another precipitous turn in topic led us on to the discussion of tomorrow (today), and that he should live up to his agreement and treat me at this steak house he claimed was 'out of this world' after class.

 

"You and Jiyong would make such a cute couple," Ji Eun gushed. "He has that whole dark and moody look going on, which is incredibly hot and..."

 

I held up my hand, stopping her in mid flow. I fixed them both with hard looks, which are just futile because they're both grinning like maniacs.

 

"Listen," I said sternly, "there is nothing going on between Jiyong and me, understood? We. Are. Not. Together. And never will be, okay? Never ever. No way, Iose. Because Jiyong and I together? Not gonna happen."

 

The grins are still there, their heads turning to look at each other in unison. "I think Dara protested too much, don't you think, Ji Eun?" Durami asked.

 

"You're so right," Ji Eun responded, "Dara is so in love with Jiyong!"

 

I rolled my eyes and grab my bag, hurriedly exiting the room, their chanting of 'Dara and Jiyong sitting in a tree' no doubt going on as I left the house.

 

 


 

 

"Hey," Jiyong greeted, as he took his seat beside me in class.

 

He noted the frown on my face and he raised a quizzical eyebrow. "Something wrong?" he asked, the concern just discernible in his features. "Have you had a fight with Jae?"

 

I shook my head. "No, it's not Jae. It's nothing really, just Durami and Ji Eun winding me up, that's all."

 

He nodded his head, sifting through his bag for his books and some paper. "What about?" he asked mildly.

 

Oh, God. I'd hoped he wouldn't ask that, because how can I tell him the truth? I was already embarrassed, and I knew, if I told him, he'd only make his own remarks, winding me up about it and teasing me about it.

 

I hesitated and he picked up on it, his eyes snapping back to mine, intrigued.

 

"It's nothing," I said, forcing a laugh. "They just have it in their heads that you and me 'like' each other."

 

When he didn't speak, I continued, "Stupid, right? Because before, you and I could barely stand each other. We practically hated each other."

 

I forced another laugh, surprised to find him not smiling or laughing, but impassive, unreadable. He's wearing that mask again and I don't like it. I can't discern what he's thinking or feeling, and I just don't like it.

 

Mr. Yang entered the room then, and both our attentions snapped towards the front. I'm glad of the reprieve, but not so much when I hear Jiyong's quick, soft utterance, "I've never hated you, Dara."

 

 

 


 

 

 

"Come on, Jiyong," I goaded, impatiently shoving his books towards him.

 

He chuckled, stuffing his books in his bag, shaking his head in disbelief.

 

"I'm starving," I moaned, "can you hurry up so we that we can go? Seriously, I'm so hungry, I think my stomach's begun digesting itself."

 

Finally, he slung his bag over his shoulder and we exited the room.

 

"Are you that eager to get me by yourself?" he suggested, a smirk playing on his lips.

 

I scoffed. "No, that's enough to put me off my food."

 

He graced me with a mock glare and I grinned.

 

"I skipped breakfast," I explained, "so this steak house better be 'out of this world'."

 

"Oh, it is," he promised, "it's not far from campus, so we can easily walk it."

 

We made the journey mostly in a companionable silence, occasionally talking about the quintet and how well Jiyong's compositions are going.

 

The steak house is slotted between two intimidating buildings: an anomaly squeezing between buildings epitomizing the modern age, reaching towards the sky in a competition of glass and metal. The steak house itself appears nice enough inside: portraits of celebrities dotted around the room, preserved in thick silver frames that tie in with the white furnishings.

 

"Can I help you?" a waitress asked, a pen and pad in hand.

 

"Yeah," Jiyong responded, "table for two?"

 

She nodded, smiling. "Right this way."

 

She lead us over to one of the more intimate booths. I'm about to protest that we're not a couple, like I suspected she believes, but stopped, deciding to allow the pretense for once. Food took prime concern in my mind right now, not how people perceived Jiyong and I together.

 

She handed us some menus and promised to get our drinks to us soon, leaving Jiyong and I in a somewhat pleasant silence. That is just one of the discernible differences between my time spent alone with Jiyong and my time spent alone with Jae. There are no awkwardness or compulsion to grasp at a conversation with Jiyong, our silences aren't uneasy, but relaxed and never long lasting, because we'll soon slip into another conversation or some witty banter.

 

"What are you thinking about?" Jiyong asked, looking up from his menu.

 

I reply, "Nothing." You.

 

"You were smiling at something," he said, then, "find something on the menu you like?"

 

"I'm not sure yet."

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

"I don't think I could eat another bite," I groaned, dropping my fork with a clatter.

 

Jiyong chuckled, resting his hands on his full stomach, watching me with amusement.

 

"That's what you said after the main course, and yet you till found room for desert," he remarked, a grin playing on his lips.

 

"I never turn down desert," I declared, "it's way too yummy."

 

He's staring at me intently, a small smile playing on his lips, and I blushed.

 

"This reminds me of Mary's 8th birthday party," he said. "I remember you pigging out at the buffet, complaining about feeling sick, and instead of missing out on the birthday cake like you should have, ate two pieces."

 

I gave a short laugh, remembering. "I threw up all over Mary's new shoes. She stopped speaking to me for about a week after that."

 

He chuckled again, like only Jiyong can. "You've done some memorable things over the years," he said. "Like that fire you caused in chemistry."

 

I scoffed. "If I remember correctly, that whole incident was your fault, not mine. You shouldn't have handed me the wrong metal to add to that acid."

 

"You should have checked the label."

 

"I didn't expect you to be so sly. I believed there was good in everyone until then, and that you'd never be so mean. Your stunt forced me to re-evaluate that belief."

 

"And what do you believe now?"

 

"That you're evil."

 

"That's harsh."

 

"But true."

 

"Still harsh. I'll have to prove you wrong."

 

I raised a quizzical eyebrow, noting the slight upturn of his lips. His eyes are bright and he seemed more open and less closed off than before. I'd noticed before how he's more reticent around Bom and the others, preferring to communicate through physical gestures, speaking when only necessary. Around his family and me, however, he proved to be a competent conversationalist, smiling more readily and joking more easily. The change is profound, but I've never really questioned it before. During high school he'd interacted with his 'friends' (cheerleaders and jocks – enough said), much the same as he did with Bom and the others. The fact that I can never get him to shut up sends my heart beating at a faster pace.

 

"You've done some memorable stuff, as well," I said. "There was that time you ran into Dr. Beard with your tray full of food, staining one of his impeccably white shirts."

 

"He gave me detention for that," Jiyong grumbled.

 

"And then there was that time in Jr. High when you fell off the stage during our performance of Joseph, taking out the whole ack row of the band."

 

He coughed. "You pushed me."

 

"And then," I continued, ignoring his interruption, "there was that fight you had with Ok Taecyeon.You almost got suspended for that, but the coach managed to pull a few strings since you were their star player and had an important game coming up. What were you two fighting about again?"

 

Jiyong shrugged and I'm disdained to see that his mask is back in place.

 

"It was only two years ago," I said, "you must remember."

 

"No, I don't."

 

I'd asked him at the time, a couple of days after their fight, as to why they'd fought. Jiyong wasn't known for being pugnacious, but, from what I'd heard, he'd just suddenly attacked Taecyeon and no one had known why.

 

"I don't blame you for punching him," I persisted, "he was an and a bully. He tried to get me to do his homework a couple of times, and when I wouldn't, he'd knocked my lunch tray out of my hands and tried to trip me up in the halls."

 

"I know," Jiyong said tightly. The skin around his eyes is imperceptibly tighter, his jaw clenched. "He deserved a lot more than a broken nose."

 

I nodded, agreeing. Fortunately, after Taecyeon had taken the just beating from Jiyong, his bullying days had ceased and instead of purposely pursuing me in the halls like before, he'd avoided me. It was strange, but I certainly hadn't complained.

 

"Anyway," I said, trying to lighten the mood, "thanks for buying me lunch."

 

His eyes brightened at this and his rigid posture eases somewhat. "No problem." He grinned and leaned forward. "Does this mean you'll play along and be my girlfriend?"

 

I tapped a finger across me chin, pretending to think about it. I'm going to do it, of course, because the look on those fangirls' faces is just way too funny. "I suppose I can deal with it…for now. But under no circumstances am I holding your hand, or…or kissing you. That would just be gross."

 

He opened his mouth to reply, but a waitress came over, noting our empty plates.

 

"Finished?" she asked, and we nodded. "Would you like anything else?"

 

Jiyong shook his head and asked for the bill. I felt uneasy about allowing him to pay for the whole meal. I'm pretty sure his wages went towards his college fund.

 

"I'll pay," I offered.

 

He looked up, frowning. "It's my treat."

 

"I know," I said, "but you need the money for college and stuff."

 

He sighed. "I have a college scholarship," he explained, "and my dad covers a lot of our living costs – out of guilt, of course, so I think I can afford to buy you a meal. It would make me feel less guilty since I owe you for all those lifts you've been giving me, and then helping out at Dami's party, as well."

 

I nodded, giving a small smile. "Thanks then."

 

"You're welcome, Santokki."

 

"Don't push it, Fang."

 

He grinned and accepted the cheque from the waitress. He dug out his wallet, opened it, and frowned.

 

"Something wrong?" I asked. "If you haven't got enough, I can help pay. I don't mind."

 

"No," he said, "no, it's not that. I just could have sworn I had four twenties in here, but now, I only have two."

 

He slammed down the wallet, his jaw clenched. "I can't believe she's taken to stealing my money now."

 

I didn't need to ask who he's referring to – his mom, the dependent alcoholic.

 

"Are you sure?" I asked, "when you questioned your mom at Dami's party, she seemed sincere when she said she hadn't taken it."

 

"Who else could have taken it, Dara?" he snapped. "Dami? Deukkie? Seungri's blind, for God's sake, so I don't think he's taken it."

 

We didn't speak for a moment, both lost in thought.

 

Eventually I asked, "What are you going to do?"

 

He sighed, suddenly looking tired, weary. "I don't know. I just don't know anymore. Everything's just confusing right now. I don't know what to feel, and I don't know what to think."

 

I'm surprised at how open he's being, but touched that he trusted me enough to relieve some of his thoughts on to me. I had the desire to hug him and comfort him, but I didn't act on it, not yet.

 

Jiyong laid down a couple of notes and some loose change. He looked at me: Ready to go? I stood up and followed him out.

 

When we're outside I put my arm around him, bringing him closer, and lay my head against his shoulder. He doesn't pull away, instead looping his arm around my waist, holding me tightly against him.

 

 


 

 

An extract from Chapter 17 of Ambiguity

 

Naomi watches intently as the flimsy wisps of smoke coil around her hands, b over her cup of steaming hot coffee. She blows, waiting for Ace, who sits opposite her, to speak. They're in a cafe, on their break from the pub. The decor inside the room is simple: potted plants dotted around the room; tables and booths, filled with people most likely on their lunch breaks as well.

 

"How are things at home?" Ace asks. It has been a week since he'd discovered her secret: that her mother is an alcoholic, but he still doesn't know the complete story. Naomi has yet to tell him about the younger brother she normally looks after, or the father with Alzheimer's.

 

"At home?" she repeats. "Same as usual. I can't seem to get through to Mom, she just can't see that she has a problem."

 

"They never can," he mutters.

 

Naomi frowns, detecting something (hurt?) in his voice.

 

"Yeah," she agrees, "they never can."

 

"Have you tried talking to someone?" he asks.

 

She bites her lip. "Sort of. I've asked about AA meetings and spoken to some of the people there. They just say it can take them awhile to realize they're problem. Normally, they realize it if something happens, like they're health is affected by it or…or they get hurt and harm themselves or someone else because of it."

 

"I'm sure it won't come to that," Ace assures, taking her hand in his, resting it on top of the table. She's surprised at the gesture but does not pull away: she liked the comfort, the sentiment.

 

They slip into silence for a moment. It's not awkward, just filled with thought. Eventually Ace says, "It's quite commendable that you've stuck by her for all of these years."

 

Naomi gives a bitter laugh, pulling her hand from out of his. "Not really," she says, "I'd entertained the idea, but could never do it. I…um, I've never mentioned this before…" she gives a nervous laugh this time, and bites her lip. "I have a younger brother, Ace. He's just ten, so he needs me when Mom's unable to look after him."

 

Ace sits there is silence for a moment, thinking. Perhaps she's holding back more, he thinks. A hand had gripped his heart sometime during their conversation, giving it a tight squeeze. What else is she hiding?

 

"Is there anything else I need to know?" he asks, trying to encourage her with a small smile.

 

Naomi nods, surprised to see hurt flash in his eyes. He hadn't liked her keeping so much from him: she hadn't realized just how much he cares.

 

"My dad has Alzheimer's," she continues. "He was diagnosed with it two years ago. He doesn't live with us anymore, we just couldn't cope." She in a breath and continues, "That's when Mom's drinking really began. Dad's condition deteriorated quickly." Her voice cracks on her last words. "He doesn't recognize us at all now."

 

Sliding out of his seat and sitting beside her on the booths elongated seat, he puts his arms around her, allowing her to rest her head against his shoulder. She sniffs, refusing to let the tears slip down her cheeks. He holds her more tightly, her hair, muttering, "It's going to be okay."

 

She doesn't disagree with him, because in his arms, she thought it could – would be. And the tears fall hot and fast down her cheeks then.

 

Ace holds her and soothes her. Before coming here, he'd worked himself up to tell her the truth as to why he'd switched jobs so suddenly, and how he now found himself slumming it in a cheap apartment. There is so much to tell her and to explain, but now is just not the time. But he'll tell her soon, he promises himself.

 

 



 

 

Annyeong everyone!!!!! I updated today because of three reasons:

One, because of the comments from previous update!!! When I saw the comments, I was like:

Hahaha No, really. Thank you for your comments!! I read them all! Some are so funny. Hahaha Some are so immersed into the story and I'm glad. :) Yeyy!! I love you!!! Thank you!! <3 Now, comment ppali okay? Or else.....

 

Second reason! Because.......... I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I recieved my prize from WeLoveDara!!!!!! I joined their contest and I actually won! Hahaha The prize is........ 

KYAAAAAA!!!!!! BIG BANG LIGHTSICK!!!!!!!

 

Hahahahaha KTHANKSBYE.

 

Third reason: 

IT'S SERA UNNIE'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! WAAAAAAH!!!!! 

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SILLYSERA UNNIE!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!! MMWAAAH!!!!!

 

 

 

HAHAHAHAAHA  I'M SO FOND OF DGH GIFS. IS IT OBVIOUS??? =))))))

WHAT A LONG AUTHOR'S NOTE. XD I THINK THAT'S IT. HAHA NOW, GO COMMENT!!!!!!