Auditions and Car Rides

Ambiguity

 

I entered the music room with a mild feeling of apprehension. It's the day after my date and the day after I invited Jiyong to join our quintet.

 

I found Jae sitting at the piano, randomly pressing keys with his good hand.

 

"Hey," I called.

 

He turned around sharply, responding to my voice and grinned, a look of remembrance passing between us of last light. I blushed.

 

After I'd spoken to Jiyong, Jae had remained mostly quiet, picking at his food. Fortunately, he'd perked up somewhat during desert and I'd been able to engage him in conversation, talking about college and family and stuff. It turned out we are both avid listeners of Ludovic Einaudi, a wicked pianist, and both enjoy Bach's many movements. Our interests, however, do not extend as far to novels. Jae isn't much of a reading enthusiast, having not even picked up a novel since high school. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

 

It had been your stereotypical date (minus Jiyong's unexpected appearance), where the guy pays for the meal (although I had insisted on paying my share), where he walks you to the door, lingering for a moment or two before leaning forward and lightly pressing his lips against yours. It was nice, and I'd eagerly kissed him back, albeit after my internal freak out. We broke apart when the porch light blinked on. I'm pretty sure Durami had been peering not so inconspicuously through the curtains, watching us. He'd pecked me on the cheek before leaving then, and, according to Durami, I'd had a 'happy glow' when I'd walked inside that was 'blinding'.

 

"Yo guys," Daesung called, lugging his hefty cello case behind him. Bom soon followed, with Seunghyun just on her tail.

 

"Hey," I began, "I need to talk to you about a potential new player."

 

As if on cue, there's a light knock on the door and Jiyong's head peeped inside. His eyes roamed the room before they locked on mine and he came in with his violin case in hand.

 

"Fan-Jiyong here," I began, jerking my thumb at Jiyong, "is a pretty good violinist."

 

"How good?" Seunghyun asked, sitting down in his normal seat, crossing his arms and legs. I got the feeling (being the empathetic person that I am), that Seunghyun doesn't like Jiyong being here. Bom, on the other hand…

 

"Let's give him a chance," Bom said. "I have a feeling he'll be good. Call it player intuition. Show us what you've got, Jiyong."

 

Jiyong simply nodded, getting his violin out and plucking a few notes, turning his adjusters until he's satisfied with the tuning. He played a stereotypical performance piece: Czardaz, grinding his bow across the strings in the opening passage, completing a complex series of notes until Jae held up his hand, halting him in mid-play.

 

"Wow," Bom said, a look of wonder evident on her face. I can't help but agree with her. He's as good as Jae, if not superseding him in some ways. Jiyong has great musicality, lacking more so in the technical side, which was one of Jae's primal strengths: his playing always looks extremely impressive. Jiyong, on the other hand, instills more emotion into his playing, reflecting the desired moods and tones of a piece. We can correct his technical faults, whereas his ability to connect with the music in such a way cannot be achieved through rigorous practice. You either have it or you don't, and boy, does he have it. Jiyong is just full of surprises.

 

"Dude," Daesung began, "that was awesome." He fleetingly met eyes with all of us, receiving nods from both Bom and I. Seunghyun and Jae are a little more adamant, however, and require pointed looks from both Bom and I which says, “We can't be too picky about who we choose now.” We needed someone, and that is that. It's just unfortunate my archenemy turned out to be such a damn good violinist. Life just ain't fair.

 

"Welcome to the group," Daesung shouted, and tapped Jiyong on the back. "We better show you what we're playing and tell you our rehearsal times."

 

"Cool, thanks," Jiyong said, "but I'm kind of restricted to playing time. I can't practice any later than quarter past two. I have to pick up my siblings from school and watch 'em while my mom's at work."

 

Daesung raised a quizzical eyebrow. "Isn't that a bit early for school to finish. Couldn't you stay ‘til 3 o'clock? That's the time we normally finish, and we're gonna be needing a lot of practice."

 

"There aren't many frequent buses to wear we live, and there's a train journey involved," I supplied. Travelling here via public transport is a nightmare. Thank God I have my own car.

 

Daesung asked, "You guys live in the same village?"

 

Both Jiyong and I nodded.

 

"Well, can't Dara just give you a lift back? 'Cause 45 minutes a day is kind of a lot."

 

WHAT?

 

I supposed it would solve our problems, but spending even more time with Jiyong, in an enclosed space, does not appeal to me one iota. A 45 minute loss of practice isn't that long, is it?

 

"Could you?" Bom asked, looking hopeful.

 

Damn. Jiyong will need every bit of practice we can offer him, if we are to deliver our desired standard of playing.

 

Jiyong looked at me, the impassive mask fixed in place. He's giving nothing away, save his eyes, which seem to watch me very carefully, scrutinizing me for some reaction.

 

"Okay," I sighed.

 

A fleeting smile situated itself onto his face. Thank you.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Practice progressed with only a few minor blips. Jiyong showed clear talent in regards to sight-reading, having been able to somewhat blag his way through all the pieces. Why does he have to be good at everything? But while Bom and Daesung are accommodating, slowing down for him and indicating which bars they're at if he loses his way, Seunghyun said nothing. Jae also offers little in regards to support, slandering him rather than giving him helpful advice on bowing and positioning. I'm going to have to talk to them both, I thought. I almost felt sorry for Jiyong. Almost. But it's clear he can handle himself when he retorted to a snide comment issued by Jae, that if he wanted him here he should keep his comments to himself, unless it's some helpful advice, because otherwise, he's out of here. "I've got better things I could be doing," Jiyong said. "I'm doing you a favor here." Although that last comment is aimed at Jae for the most part, his eyes flit to mine briefly.

 

And so, at the end of practice, that left Jiyong and I in my car. Alone. Oh, joy.

 

Surprisingly, Jiyong had offered little in regards to conversation during practice. It had been almost strange us not verbally snapping and jabbing at each other. We'd almost been…civil, towards each other. It's kinda scary. But then I realized that perhaps Jiyong isn't as comfortable around the others as he is with me. He'd known them for three hours, while he'd known me for fourteen years.

 

"Jae's a jealous wiener," Jiyong stated as he strapped himself in, sitting beside me in the passenger seat.

 

I sighed. "He's not a wiener and there's no reason for him to be jealous. I like him, not you."

 

I started the car as Jiyong turned to me with his eyebrows raised, that silly smirk of his playing on his lips. "I didn't mean he was jealous that I might steal you away from him. I meant that he was jealous of my amazing violin skills."

 

A blush crept its way onto my cheeks and his grin stretched even wider. Way to go, Dara. Just stick your foot in it, why don't you.

 

"Then again," Jiyong continued, "he's probably noticed all those flirtatious looks you keep giving me. He's probably guessed that you love me by now. It's not fair you stringing him on like that, y'know?"

 

I forced a laugh and pull out of my parking space, using driving as an excuse not to look at his smug face. Jerk.

 

"Let's get a couple of things straight, Fang. First of all, I don't like you. At all. You are the biggest pain in the I have ever met, and the only reason I invited you to join our group was because we were desperate. We'd held auditions previously and they hadn't turned out well, okay? Second of all, Jae is a brilliant player. We would never replace him. And third of all, did I mention I hate you?"

 

Jiyong chuckled, "Maybe once or twice. I'm just waiting for you to tell me you love me, 'cause I'll start counting then."

 

I let out a small, frustrated sound, instantly regretting it as it spurs on another round of laughter from him. It's a shame, really, because Jiyong actually has quite a nice laugh. It's just unfortunate I only ever hear it when it's at my expense. Jerk.

 

"You know," I began, "if you don't cut out all this love crap, I'm going to stop this car and make you walk."

 

"You wouldn't dare," he said, suddenly serious.

 

"Oh yes, I would."

 

He latched onto the fact that I'm serious and remained quiet. Wise move. Although the silence isn't been awkward like I first anticipated it would be, I preferred Jiyong quiet, and so to deter him from uttering any more nonsensical remarks, I switched on the CD player. The Bruch concerto in D major tinkles softly though the speakers.

 

Jiyong turned to me sharply, his face taking on a look of surprise. "You like Bruch?"

 

"I love Bruch," I said. "I'd love to see this piece performed by an actual orchestra. The bass part is amazing." I imitated the bass part in a somewhat low, bass-like hum and instantly blushed, realizing just how stupid I must sound.

 

I stopped at a red light and my eyes flitted to his, anticipating some snide comment that will only fuel my embarrassment. But he doesn't, he's staring straight at me, smiling. Not a Jiyong-smirk, but a real smile that revealed a set of brilliant teeth. I can't help the small smile that tugs its way onto my lips in response, and I can't help but find myself lost in eyes so dark and holding such depth, that they seem to glisten with...something. I just can't discern what. We stayed like that until a cacophony of horns and shouting passengers blared behind us. The lights have turned green and I still haven't moved. Damn. I drove quickly, cursing quietly under my breath.

 

What the hell was that?

 

 

 


 

Short, huh? I'll update again later! But before that, comment first! Wahahahahaa

Oh, by the way, I missed you guys too... ^_^ 

And... Mahal ko kayo MORE MORE!!! (Big Bang -  Lies)

^Hahahahahah Got this from Liyan on twitter. Follow her. She's so hilarious! XD4

my twitter: @OhItsLAI

my tumblr: ohitskwonji.tumblr.com