Part 1: The Encounter

Heartless
Please log in to read the full chapter

Warning: Description of violence and crime.

 

Loud footsteps echoed in the dark alley. Seohyun had been running for her life again. She was so scared. All her life, she had been chased by people. Instead of enjoying life like most people her age do, she had always hidden herself from as many people as possible. She always had to be careful even to go out of her hostel. She had never lived in peace. Even though the people who meant the world to her sacrificed their lives for her life, her life was still in constant danger. And it all started 6 years ago.

She didn't want to recall what happened on that fateful day because she made a promise to someone that she would forget about that day and move on.

Yet, since that day, her life had turned upside down. Heartless criminals sent by rich bastards were after her although all she wanted was to live in peace.

She was all alone and helpless. Her parents were already resting in heaven. She couldn't even remember their faces well because all her memories before that day were a blur. Those memories were too beautiful yet, too painful to remember for her. And someone who promised that he would never leave her also hadn't returned since that day. So, she had been trying to forget that day and her former self to be able to live like a completely different person.

Regardless of everything, she was running away from them again for the moment. She didn't know exactly who they are. Most of the times, they came after her in big groups. It's likely to be one of the rich mafia, judging from the number of people, which was roughly 20.

She couldn't be so sure but she knew one thing. Being a witness to a big crime and lost heiress to the one of the biggest associations in Korea, they wanted her either dead or alive. And they were at an advantage because she was all alone with no one by her side to protect her. Furthermore, the world knew her as dead, crushed in car accident and burned to ashes in the explosion, together with her father.

So, her existence was not legal and honestly, she wanted it to remain that way because the responsibilities she had to carry on her shoulders were too big for a young girl of 18. But because of a promise she made to someone, she had been trying to live on while hiding her best from dangerous people, trying hard to protect herself and living as normally as possible.

Honestly, she was really willing to let go of all her possessions that were still left untouched and the CEO position that remained empty for the past 6 years. The company was doing ok even though the stocks had slowly declined over the years, the board members had been managing well without a CEO, due to the Late CEO's will to leave the position empty if it's not handed over to his successor.

So, regardless of who the person chasing her was, their intention was only one thing, to take over the company when the stocks get lower and get rid of her completely to avoid any possible threats that might arise in the future. Thus, she had to run away from those greedy beasts when all she wanted was a peaceful life.

Why was it so hard to have a peaceful life? Seohyun could only blame on the unfairness of fate.

"Ahh."

It all happened in a mere second. She slipped and fell down. She tried to get up again but she couldn't. She was already so tired from all the running she did. She started trembling as footsteps approached her. She still wanted to live. Or rather, she wasn't ready to die. She was scared.

'God please save me.' All she wished for was a peaceful life where she would never have to run away again and be with her family and the person who promised that he would always stay beside her, take care of her and never leave her. But it always seemed like a distant dream.

She kneeled on the ground, one hand holding her ankle that was in so much pain and one hand holding the pendent of her necklace with the letters J and K engraved on it. That was the only thing she held onto from her past, the only thing on earth that could give her strength and courage whenever she needed.

The footsteps stopped a few meters away from her. She noticed a strange dark aura behind her but she didn't dare to look back. "Who are you?" A harsh voice demanded for an answer and she froze.

She didn't even remember to breathe. That was probably going to be the end of her runaway life. All her sufferings and fears were going to vanish completely. She would probably unite with her family and perhaps him, as well, in heaven. She should just be ready to be happy.

Before she moved her trembling lips to utter a word, her eyes widened as she heard the sound of a blade being taken out from its sheath. Was that really how she was going to die?

Then, an unfamiliar cold voice spoke behind her, making her shiver in fear before she could sigh in brief relief. "Leave her alone an

Please log in to read the full chapter