Lifes Liberator

BEFORE ADAM

 

The caravan from ancient Ur s across the bleak windswept wilderness. Zull followed close behind, watching high above on the jagged limestone ridges that jut up from the dusty plains.

Zull had an inner excinct that the caravan was heading towards the endless ocean, and in his mind he saw what the bronze age folk were planning as he remembered what they had seen along the beach. The human remains hanging from the stakes. That was the fate of Tsa and himself if they captured him.

Now upon the windswept beach, the caravan came to a halt on the soft sands. The skies seemed to darken and the ocean waters started to foam as the wind picked up to gale force.

Tsa was plucked out from the safety of the silken litter on the Ladens back, and led by two warriors to a vacant stake on the coast line. The high priest watched on beside the Shama, both had eyes as cold as steel.

Tsa was tied to the stake stark , her wrists and ankles were tightly wrapped by thick twine that cut into her skin.

She was still dazed by the cruel incense that had poured out of the bronze urn earlier, but it was starting to wear off.

The wind picked up further and darkened clouds started to roll in over them. The deathly green skinned high priest his cracked lips and stared up towards the heavens and he prayed to the sea god that would be appeased. They should have been sacrificed as a pair and he hoped that the gods would show mercy for letting the male savage escape them from his dungeon.

Watching high above from the ridge, Zull's mane of dark hair blew madly about him as the gale became fierce. There was a crack of thunder as lightening zig-zagged the dark skies. Was this the wrath of the city dwellers strange god?

Tsa opened her eyes, the burning incense now gone from her system. She realised that she could not move, she was tied up so tightly that she could feel her skin cut and tear and bleed.

She screamed out in terror but over the din of the gale nobody heard her. Zull kept his eyes fixed to her from where he hid along the ledge of limestone cliffs.

The Shama of ancient Ur smiled a cruel grimace. He was satisfied that he and his people would be spared from the sea gods anger. The High priest nodded affirmication and they each turned and with their silken garbs flapping about them, they boarded their waiting Ladens.

The skull masked warriors on horse back led the caravans exodus from the beach. Tsa's fate fixed.

The thunder intensified, the lightening crossed the skies every second. Tsa's blonde hair blew about her face at the swirling vortex of the unearthly wind.

Zull waited until the people of Ur had gone, then he leapt down from his hiding place. Zull landed upon the soft sands that blew around the darkness, the jagged peaks of the cliffs lighting up when the lightening struck.

And the thunder echoed out from the leaden skies.

Tsa closed her eyes, she didn't want to think about what would become of her and what horrible death was waiting for her. The sea was rough and foamy as she heard the shout. The shout of her name, something was calling her name within the gruelling wind.

And she realised it was Zull, her beloved mate. His hands raised to her cheeks. She was safe, he was going to rescue her and take her away from this cruel nightmare.

She closed her eyes and smiled against the wind as she thought about their future. They would find another paradise garden and live happy ever after how it should be, how the guardian voice said it would be.

Zull made for a sharp flint within his furred loins, and then went to work in cutting the thick twine that bound her so tightly to the stake. Within moments, Tsa's hands were free from the wrist cutting binds, she held herself in place as he went to work on the ones that bound her ankles.

Once done, she jumped into Zull's strong arms, she was saved they were going to be okay.

The wind suddenly stopped blowing and there was an eerie calm. It was too silent. A silence that was deafening.

Their hair was still. The sky was black with no lightening. Tsa grabbed for Zulls arm, she sensed an unknown danger.

They were alone again.

Zull turned towards the sea. The sea was gone. There was no more foamy waves crashing onto the beach. It instead was a vast plain of sand that stretched out as far as the eye could see. There was dead fish on the wet sand. Dead fish, crabs, sharks and other giant monstrosities that thankfully no longer exist today. All perished when the sea was away.

Zull swallowed and pulled Tsa closer to his chest, she could feel his heartbeat quicken. Tsa knew her mate sensed the unknown peril as well.

Both looked towards the dry sea of dying fish, crabs and sharks and then saw the shimmering wall of water that was coming their way. Zull's eyes widened and pulled Tsas head to his chest, forcing her gaze away from the terror wave.

He closed his eyes tight and heard the din of the wave approaching. An incredible display of fireworks erupted in the heavens as Mother Earth spawned a Moon.

The last thing he heard was the guardian voice telling them that he was taking them home.

THE END