The secrets of the beach

BEFORE ADAM

The sea water crashed onto the soft golden sands that stretched for eternity in both directions. Zull negotiated the sandy browe of the hill and looked down, Tsa was beside him. They had come to the end of the wilderness, both were badly skin burnt from the angry blazing sun.

For both of them, the marvel of the sea was a first. The waters seemed endless and met the horizon in the distance. Never before had they seen such an awesome spectacle. Of course they had seen a river, a stream and a lake, but not an ocean, this was a thing of legend. How could such a body of water like this even exist?

White and gray tipped gulls screamed in the blue skies above and glided out towards nesting places on jagged islets further out to sea.

Looking at one another, they slowing headed towards the shores edge, Tsa braving a toe into the strange foamy water. There was a stiff breeze blowing in that felt refreshing as it hit their hot sweaty bodies.

Hand in hand they skirted the coastline into the direction of some high rugged limestone cliffs, hopefully a cave would give them shelter in this strange forebaring world that was now their new home.

On reaching the coastal range, Tsa watched on as Zull scaled the cliffs to find a cave, when he disappeared out of sight amongst the jagged juts, Tsa's attention was towards the ocean again. The sun's rays were dancing on the waves as if the water was communicating with her.

The wind was still strong against her face and she wondered whether she and Zull were the only people that walked Mother Earth.

Her mind wandered to a time long ago. Both she and Zull had come from a tribe in the far lands. Memories were becoming vague, but she remembered the day she and Zull followed the adults out on the hunt. It had been exciting at first watching the men of the tribe scout out and stalk a timid beast like a deer. But then darkness came and the Earth's moonless night cylce took hold as they became lost in the thick forest.

It was a voice that saved them. A mysterious voice that saved them from the jaws of a stalking carnivore in the darkness. A voice in their dreams that led them both forth into the paradise valley that became their recent home.

They just needed to stay away from the forbidden fruit tree. And they did.

Tsa closed her eyes tightly as she remembered. She had gone against this primal voice. She had picked the forbidden fruit from the ageless tree and the valley was destroyed.

A tear started to roll down her cheek. It was all her fault.

She swallowed down and turned around and strolled along looking to her bare feet as they dug into the hot sand, the shadow suddenly crossed her face blocking out the sun so she looked up.

She stood stock still and put her hands to her face. Her eyes went wild and she opened and screamed out in terror.

High above the ledge Zull reacted at his mates scream. He scrabbled along the loosened ledge. He rolled along the incline and fell on his feet onto the soft sands and bolted around the corner to where Tsa stood stock still.

She was standing at a foot of a stake that was buried in the sand. The stake bared the rotten remains of a skeleton. It had been clearly picked clean by vultures.

Zull came to her side kicking the sand ahead of him, he pulled her back and looked up to in the shadow of the stake, the faceless skull looked down upon him, it looked like it was grinning at him.

The wretch had been tired up in twine weed.

What creatures could do this to a man. What soul less savage beasts could act in this manner?

There was a line of poor souls. Each hanging from their stakes. Empty sightless eye sockets staring out to the sea.

Zull moved his mate away from the rude scene. Just before Tsa's cry, he had located a cave for them high up on the ledge.

That night they slept soundly in the warm cave but by dawn they were both very hungery and were very thirsty.

Tsa ran to the sea line and cupped her hands. The water looked so refreshing to drink. She scooped some up and put it to , then spat it out.

The water was vile. It had something sour in it.

She backed away from the sea unbeknown to her that she was being watched.

Zull meanwhile was out hunting. He had crafted a spear from a small pine tree and a flint he dug from the land. It wasn't long before he found tracks on the plain. He recognised them those of a wild boar.

As he turned the corner he saw the boar...or what was left of the beast because it had been half torn and eaten away.

Dispondant, he backed away only to come face to face with something that hunched over him. Something that's breath stuck of rotten flesh. Something that was twice as big as him on it's hunches.

It was a massive beast and the jaws of death were salivated at him.

Ready to pounce.