sacrificial terror

BEFORE ADAM

The screams of a 100 women cried out in ancient Ur. Each and everyone of them a scream of terror, for the water of the wash pools had turned to blood and were chucking off a stench of unclean death.

The warriors idling by the river and the lake, set on the sun baked plain outside the city walls, stared out in sheer horror as the hot morning sun shone out over inky red waters. The stench of a thousand deaths were fouling up making their throats wrench.

The jumping fish lept out from the bloody waters only to perish and die anyway upon the suncracked land.

The Shama of ancient Ur rose from his slumber and was led by his man-slaves to the stone steps of his temple and climbed to the roof to witness the lake and the river himself.

The red haze of death engulfed his vision through tight eyes. The warrior captain at his side telling him that something had angered the gods by turning their life-water into blood.

Tsa came out of her stone dwelling and saw the crowds of people holding up their hands and wailing in despair. What ever could have happened?

And Zull, oblivious to the events, could only hear the solemn cries of folk above. But he was surprized to see that his chains had been released. His cut wrists were sore but he couldn't fathom how the chains had been cut because they have been pulled apart.

He jumped up onto his feet and although , he left the rotten stench of the dungeon behind him and hurried up the steps.

The Shama of ancient Ur was confused by his subjects predicament, but his high priest hobbled over to his side on the temple roof top, and pointed out a bent wizened finger to the slender figure that stood in the crowds. Tsa. It was the strangers that angered the gods of Ur, they have displeased them with their savage presence.

And a crack of thunder echoed out over the city of Ur. The high priest looked up through his yellow eyes, his skin a deathly pale green.

The Shama agreed to this and feared this was a bad omen. He ordered his warriors to seize Tsa, for she would be sacrificed to the god of the sea. The high priest was delighted about this, the gods would be appeased by the sacrifice.

Tsa was dragged off her feet and slung up against a wall where her wrists were twined together tightly, so tight it was enough to cut of her blood supply.

And as she was marched through the city square by the palace guards, she was spat upon by the citizens branding her an vile demon.

She was stripped and whipped to the ground, women spat on her, men grabbed her ready to throttle the lifeforce from her.

The high priest knelt before the ivory throne. The Shama wanted to know if the sacrifice would be enough and the priest smiled through yellow pointed teeth, the gods would only be appeased if they are sacrificed as a pair and that was how it must be.

It was set for zenith the next day.

When dawn broke, Tsa was unchained from the temple of rotten skulls and then bathed clean in the pool house for the blood had turned back to water. The gods would be appeased.

Cleansed for the sacrifice, the high priest entered and incense burnt in a bronze urn that made her lightheaded and see double. The priest was chanting to the gods.

Slave-girls towelled her dry and they whispered chants as well. Tsa looked towards the high priest who stared back at her through cold yellow eyes.

Zull meanwhile had escaped the city and hid out in the wilderness beyond the city walls. During the darkness cycle, he had crafted a spear and hunted a wild mountain goat. The skin had given him a loin cloth and the meat fed his belly.

He needed to keep his strength up to rescue Tsa because he was going to free her from the wicked ruler of Ur.

He mused about what had occurred in the city. The water had been turned to blood, his chains had been broken. Was his guardian voice responsible?

The skies looked dark, the usual azore blue faded away. Zull shuddered, he was chilled to the bone, he sensed fear within himself.

But fear of what?

It seemed that zenith time will see no light of the sun. How he wished for the blazing suns warmth upon his cheeks.

The sound of shell horns were carried on a stirring wind. Zull leapt towards the plain overlooking ancient Ur. The city's gate was opening and a caravan of warriors stepped onto the plain and ahead of this caravan was the high priest and his priestets burning incense around them.

There was 20 horse back riders and 10 Ladens. 2 Ladens carried a litter where Tsa laid in a trance like state, and behind her the Shama and his court of viziers and aids, all their silk finery flapping about in the rising gale.

What did these wicked people have in store for his mate?

Zull decided he had to follow and take his chance in rescuing her...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX